Re: [podcasters] Re: Who are podcasters?

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 12, 2009
      Kris, you posted:
      --------------------
      Daily activities: All internet users/Podcasters from survey
      Use email: 57%/98.5%
      Use social networking site(s):19%/63.7%
      Twitter or other status update: 5%/59.3%
      --------------------

      How old are those Pew stats? I can't believe that 43% of internet users
      don't do email.

      And I think the use of social networking sites and Twitter has
      skyrocketed in the past few months. Virtually everyone I know (and I'm
      61) is now into Facebook, for example.

      I'd try to get updated stats before you issue your report, if that's
      possible.

      ---Dan

    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 12, 2009
        Kris, one more fly in the ointment:

        How incestuous is podcasting?

        That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other podcasters,
        at least partially if not completely?

        Podcasting seems to be almost a closed community, in that podcasters
        listen heavily to other podcasts. They do promos for their podcasts in
        other podcasts, and many podcasts talk about podcasting in some form or
        other. Are there many podcasts that never mention podcasting?

        My two podcasts are not tailored for the podcast community at all, but to
        groups that don't even know what a podcast is. My listeners find me
        through message boards that discuss my topics (treasure hunting and
        softball). My guess is that the great majority of my listeners have
        never heard of Podcast Alley, or even know there are thousands of other
        podcasts out there.

        ---Dan
      • Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
          On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Dan Hughes<danhughes@...> wrote:
          > How incestuous is podcasting?
          >
          > That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other podcasters,
          > at least partially if not completely?

          Possibly the number one reason podcasting hasn't come as close to mass
          media as podcasters would like. In fact, the mass media (major
          television and radio networks) has done more to evangelize podcasts to
          non-podcasters than indie podcasters.

          But that's probably a topic for another thread...

          --
          Matthew Wayne Selznick
          Author and DIY New Media Creator
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
            And, I'm interested in examples of multi-show podcasters. When I was
            slamming away in the niche-blogging world, it was sort of a given that if
            you take a being a blogger, you were destined to start another blog within
            a year. That urge seems to be present in podcasting, if less intensely, but
            podcasters seem more likely to team up on group side projects.

            I mean, seriously. How many of you have more than one podcast? How many of
            you contribute regularly to another podcast? What's up with that?

            ~Mer
            braindouche.net
            sweetcourchexperience.com

            --
            Meredith Matthews
            mer@... | 484.524.2507 | twitter @braindouche

          • writerpatrick
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
              What I find interesting is the low number of new podcasters. Less than 5% have been at it for less than 6 months and less than 20% have been at it one year. I would expect those numbers to be the largest. Could it be that the new podcasters don't use things such as Yahoo Groups and other places that would allow them to find the survey?

              Or is it that people are choosing to become YouTube-casters instead? With YouTube you don't have to worry about promotion the same way as podcasts require. And everyone is talking about YouTube all the time. When have you heard a major broadcaster mention podcasts?

              I have noticed that the activity on many of the podcast forums like Podcast Pickle is down. There's a few new people who post one or two messages, promote their site, then disappear. They just don't seem to have the sense of community. Or maybe they just rely upon Facebook for that community. (I really don't bother with it much myself, although I probably should be working on it more.)
            • Todd Cochrane
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                From my Stats

                What happens is that over 70% of new podcasters don not make it past
                show 7 and another 13% do not make it past show 25. Simply because they
                find out it is hard work and most have not done their homework on how to
                get their show launched and to get attention. Those shows that do make
                it past show 25 usually have staying power.

                Todd...

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                  I am not sure why you would call podcasting a niche as almost every
                  media producer in existence is having there media in one form or another
                  delivered via rss aka podcast.

                  Having been in the space in the very early days of the space Oct 2nd,
                  2004 and was probably in the first 100 or so that created shows. You can
                  look at my show if you want as an example. I just went over 500 shows
                  last month and still have a audience that is growing daily. It is my
                  primary source of income. But I also produce 4-5 other shows that do not
                  have as high a time demand.

                  Todd..

                  Braindouche! wrote:

                  > And, I'm interested in examples of multi-show podcasters. When I was
                  > slamming away in the niche-blogging world, it was sort of a given that if
                  > you take a being a blogger, you were destined to start another blog within
                  > a year. That urge seems to be present in podcasting, if less
                  > intensely, but
                  > podcasters seem more likely to team up on group side projects.
                  >
                  > I mean, seriously. How many of you have more than one podcast? How many of
                  > you contribute regularly to another podcast? What's up with that?
                  >
                  > ~Mer
                  > braindouche.net
                  > sweetcourchexperience.com
                  >
                  > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...
                  > <mailto:danhughes%40juno.com>> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Kris, one more fly in the ointment:
                  > >
                  > > How incestuous is podcasting?
                  > >
                  > > That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other
                  > podcasters,
                  > > at least partially if not completely?
                  > >
                  > > Podcasting seems to be almost a closed community, in that podcasters
                  > > listen heavily to other podcasts. They do promos for their podcasts in
                  > > other podcasts, and many podcasts talk about podcasting in some form or
                  > > other. Are there many podcasts that never mention podcasting?
                  > >
                  > > My two podcasts are not tailored for the podcast community at all,
                  > but to
                  > > groups that don't even know what a podcast is. My listeners find me
                  > > through message boards that discuss my topics (treasure hunting and
                  > > softball). My guess is that the great majority of my listeners have
                  > > never heard of Podcast Alley, or even know there are thousands of other
                  > > podcasts out there.
                  > >
                  > > ---Dan

                • Todd Cochrane
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                    Matthew

                    I would agree hard core evangelism stopped about the time iTunes added
                    podcasting support to iTunes July 2005. Since that time I think
                    podcasters have thought that Apple would carry the day...

                    Also another thing that is hurting the space, is that most of my growth
                    came from promoting other shows actively. Most shows do not promote
                    other podcast and vice versa. I think this is why the podcasts over at
                    TechPodcasts.com have done so well is that we actively promote the heck
                    out of each other and promote the space outside of the podcast space.

                    Todd..

                    Matthew Wayne Selznick wrote:

                    > Possibly the number one reason podcasting hasn't come as close to mass
                    > media as podcasters would like. In fact, the mass media (major
                    > television and radio networks) has done more to evangelize podcasts to
                    > non-podcasters than indie podcasters.
                    >
                    > But that's probably a topic for another thread...
                    >
                    > -

                  • Todd Cochrane
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                      If you are looking to reach a larger group of podcasters next time, feel
                      free to drop me an email we can include a link to any survey etc to our
                      community of podcasters.

                      Todd

                      > On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:47 AM, kris3198<kris3198@...
                      > <mailto:kris3198%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                      > > A summary of my research conducted last year on independent audio
                      > podcasters
                      > > is available here:
                      > >
                      > > https://umdrive.memphis.edu/kmmrkman/www/Markman_podcasters2009.html
                      > <https://umdrive.memphis.edu/kmmrkman/www/Markman_podcasters2009.html>
                      > > I plan to continue my research on podcasters, so I welcome any feedback.
                      > > What would you like to know about the podcasting community? How can the
                      > > academic world help podcasters?

                    • David Jackson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                        Same here. I started with one show, and every time I find a passion I create a podcast. Some have podfaded with my passion, but Most I produce on a bi-weekly basis.

                        Dave Jackson
                        www.betterdave.com
                        www.customerserviceshow.com
                        www.powerofpodcasting.com << coming in September answering the "why should I" question.

                        Braindouche! wrote:

                        > And, I'm interested in examples of multi-show podcasters. When I was
                        > slamming away in the niche-blogging world, it was sort of a given that if
                        > you take a being a blogger, you were destined to start another blog within
                        > a year. That urge seems to be present in podcasting, if less
                        > intensely, but
                        > podcasters seem more likely to team up on group side projects.
                        >
                        > I mean, seriously. How many of you have more than one podcast? How many of
                        > you contribute regularly to another podcast? What's up with that?
                        >
                        > ~Mer
                        > braindouche.net
                        > sweetcourchexperience.com
                        >
                        > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...
                        > <mailto:danhughes%40juno.com>> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Kris, one more fly in the ointment:
                        > >
                        > > How incestuous is podcasting?
                        > >
                        > > That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other
                        > podcasters,
                        > > at least partially if not completely?
                        > >
                        > > Podcasting seems to be almost a closed community, in that podcasters
                        > > listen heavily to other podcasts. They do promos for their podcasts in
                        > > other podcasts, and many podcasts talk about podcasting in some form or
                        > > other. Are there many podcasts that never mention podcasting?
                        > >
                        > > My two podcasts are not tailored for the podcast community at all,
                        > but to
                        > > groups that don't even know what a podcast is. My listeners find me
                        > > through message boards that discuss my topics (treasure hunting and
                        > > softball). My guess is that the great majority of my listeners have
                        > > never heard of Podcast Alley, or even know there are thousands of other
                        > > podcasts out there.
                        > >
                        > > ---Dan

                      • kris3198
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                          Hello Dan (and everyone),

                          (I tried to post this a moment ago, but I think my message got eaten).

                          Just to clarify, the Pew stats I posted are for DAILY activities, which Pew measures by asking "Did you do this activity yesterday?"

                          They also ask "Have you ever done this activity?" and those numbers are indeed higher. If you're interested, the chart is here, along with survey dates:
                          http://www.pewinternet.org/Trend-Data/Online-Activites-Total.aspx

                          The social networking numbers are from Dec. 08, so they don't capture the recent explosion in Facebook users. I suspect we'll see new numbers on that soon. Still, I would add that as a group podcasters seem to be very much in the early adopter group, like most social media advocates, and such are really dissimilar from the *average* adult internet user.

                          There have been a lot of other interesting comments on this thread. I'll be on the road for a few days, but I hope to be able to respond more next week.

                          -Kris
                          ---------- ---------- ----------
                          Kris M. Markman, Ph.D.
                          Assistant Professor, Dept. of Communication
                          University of Memphis
                          https://umdrive.memphis.edu/kmmrkman/www/index.html

                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                          > Kris, you posted:
                          > --------------------
                          > Daily activities: All internet users/Podcasters from survey
                          > Use email: 57%/98.5%
                          > Use social networking site(s):19%/63.7%
                          > Twitter or other status update: 5%/59.3%
                          > --------------------
                          >
                          > How old are those Pew stats? I can't believe that 43% of internet users
                          > don't do email.
                          >
                          > And I think the use of social networking sites and Twitter has
                          > skyrocketed in the past few months. Virtually everyone I know (and I'm
                          > 61) is now into Facebook, for example.
                          >
                          > I'd try to get updated stats before you issue your report, if that's
                          > possible.
                          >
                          > ---Dan

                        • Braindouche!
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                            No sir, I'm not calling podcasting a niche, but I do think it's very similar
                            to The-Practice-Of-Niche-Blogging, particularly in terms of networking and
                            grass-roots-type marketing and audience building. They're about the same age
                            and take advantage of the same technology, so they grew up with similar
                            methods.

                            For the record, I also think that niche blogging is D-E-D dead. Podcasting
                            isn't, but it's certainly lost of lot of it's evangelistic tendencies as
                            well as shaken off a lot of what you might call "unreasonable expectations",
                            too.

                            ~Mer
                            braindouche.net
                            sweetcouchexperience.com

                            --
                            Meredith Matthews
                            mer@... | 484.524.2507 | twitter @braindouche
                            braindouche.net | podcast mayhem
                            hotgluemedia.com | design | web | audio | communication
                            sweettarragon.com | jewelry and accessories

                          • David Smith
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 15, 2009
                              I have three. So far.

                              Grizzly's Growls: "Some Dork with a Microphone," as Evo Terra terms it.

                              Stories from the Hiber-Nation: Storytelling. Well, more audiobook
                              production.

                              The IDSL: Minnesota Indie music.

                              I have occasionally contributed a bit to other podcasts, but not so much
                              lately.

                              It was 13 Aug 2009, when Braindouche! commented:

                              > And, I'm interested in examples of multi-show podcasters. When I was
                              > slamming away in the niche-blogging world, it was sort of a given that if
                              > you take a being a blogger, you were destined to start another blog within
                              > a year. That urge seems to be present in podcasting, if less intensely, but
                              > podcasters seem more likely to team up on group side projects.
                              >
                              > I mean, seriously. How many of you have more than one podcast? How many of
                              > you contribute regularly to another podcast? What's up with that?
                              >
                              > ~Mer
                              > braindouche.net
                              > sweetcourchexperience.com
                              >
                              > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > Kris, one more fly in the ointment:
                              > >
                              > > How incestuous is podcasting?
                              > >
                              > > That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other podcasters,
                              > > at least partially if not completely?
                              > >
                              > > Podcasting seems to be almost a closed community, in that podcasters
                              > > listen heavily to other podcasts. They do promos for their podcasts in
                              > > other podcasts, and many podcasts talk about podcasting in some form or
                              > > other. Are there many podcasts that never mention podcasting?
                              > >
                              > > My two podcasts are not tailored for the podcast community at all, but to
                              > > groups that don't even know what a podcast is. My listeners find me
                              > > through message boards that discuss my topics (treasure hunting and
                              > > softball). My guess is that the great majority of my listeners have never
                              > > heard of Podcast Alley, or even know there are thousands of other
                              > > podcasts out there.
                              > >
                              > > ---Dan
                              > >

                              > --
                              > Meredith Matthews
                              > mer@... | 484.524.2507 | twitter @braindouche
                              > braindouche.net | podcast mayhem
                              > hotgluemedia.com | design | web | audio | communication
                              > sweettarragon.com | jewelry and accessories

                              grizzly at grizzlysgrowls dot com
                              Grizzly's Podcasts & Stories: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
                              Live shows on BTR: <http://live.grizzlysgrowls.com>
                            • leesarbarnes
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 18, 2009
                                I wrote Podcasting for Profit and interviewed over 50 podcasters on the various ways they are making money with their podcast. You can buy the book (shameless plug) or you can drop me a line offlist and I'll forward you some names.

                                --

                                Thanks,

                                Leesa Barnes
                                http://marketingfit.com