Re: Who are podcasters?

  • kris3198
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 12, 2009
      Hi Matthew,
      Thank you very much for your response. I'm going to attempt to address some of your questions below.

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@...> wrote:

      > Are there plans to expand the pool? Is 147 podcasters a statistically
      > representative number given the thousands of English-speaking
      > podcasters producing shows?

      No, the numbers are not statistically representative. This study was mainly exploratory in nature, designed to get a feel for what was out there and help refine categories/questions for a second round. My goal is to use these results to help craft a new survey that will target a more representative sample. That said, my results do seem to be largely consistent with the few other podcaster studies that I've seen.

      One issue I'm currently grappling with (and I'd love to know if anyone here has any good ideas) is what exactly is the English-speaking podcasting universe. One idea that I am exploring is to work with people who have a more technical CS background to try to develop a bot that could automatically identify podcasts based on given criteria.

      I also want to add video podcasters to the next sample to see of there are any similarities/differences between people who choose different platforms.

      > What percentage of respondents were *not* from the Yahoo! podcasters
      > group or some other centralized gathering of podcasters? For that
      > matter, can you provide the sources of the respondents? A little more
      > context, and a larger pool, will make this survey compelling.

      The data from the current study were collected anonymously (as per my human subjects research approval) so I don't have that information. I could collect data in future studies by inviting people via email, which would have certain advantages in tracking, but then I could not offer complete anonymity.

      > Can you compare the "Podcasters are Connected" figures to Internet
      > users as a whole, since podcasters are by default a subset of that
      > group? Otherwise the fact that "98.5% of podcasters use e-mail daily"

      The paper that I will have posted in October will address some of these issues, but for some quick and dirty comparisons to data on adult US internet users from the Pew Internet & American Life project:

      Daily activities: All internet users/Podcasters from survey
      Use email: 57%/98.5%
      Use social networking site(s):19%/63.7%
      IM: 11%/59.3%
      Read someone else's blog: 10%/76.3%
      Twitter or other status update: 5%/59.3%

      > is kind of worthless. Also, "Maintain online journal / blog" is oddly
      > low, since I'd say pretty much every podcast is also a blog by default
      > -- a sequential series of posts in reverse chronological order
      > distributed by RSS.

      Yeah, I asked two different blog-related questions, and I think in future I need to distinguish them more. On the very last slide you'll see a number for Podcast blog, which was 75.5%, which I meant to be different from the question about creating/maintaining a blog. What I was going for there, but I'm not sure if it was really clear, was a non-podcast related blog. In the next version I am going to try for more precise questions to separate the two activities.

      Thank you again for your feedback!

      -Kris
      ---------- ---------- ----------
      Kris M. Markman, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor, Dept. of Communication
      University of Memphis
      https://umdrive.memphis.edu/kmmrkman/www/index.html
    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 12, 2009
        Kris, you posted:
        --------------------
        Daily activities: All internet users/Podcasters from survey
        Use email: 57%/98.5%
        Use social networking site(s):19%/63.7%
        Twitter or other status update: 5%/59.3%
        --------------------

        How old are those Pew stats? I can't believe that 43% of internet users
        don't do email.

        And I think the use of social networking sites and Twitter has
        skyrocketed in the past few months. Virtually everyone I know (and I'm
        61) is now into Facebook, for example.

        I'd try to get updated stats before you issue your report, if that's
        possible.

        ---Dan

      • Dan Hughes
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 12, 2009
          Kris, one more fly in the ointment:

          How incestuous is podcasting?

          That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other podcasters,
          at least partially if not completely?

          Podcasting seems to be almost a closed community, in that podcasters
          listen heavily to other podcasts. They do promos for their podcasts in
          other podcasts, and many podcasts talk about podcasting in some form or
          other. Are there many podcasts that never mention podcasting?

          My two podcasts are not tailored for the podcast community at all, but to
          groups that don't even know what a podcast is. My listeners find me
          through message boards that discuss my topics (treasure hunting and
          softball). My guess is that the great majority of my listeners have
          never heard of Podcast Alley, or even know there are thousands of other
          podcasts out there.

          ---Dan
        • Matthew Wayne Selznick
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
            On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Dan Hughes<danhughes@...> wrote:
            > How incestuous is podcasting?
            >
            > That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other podcasters,
            > at least partially if not completely?

            Possibly the number one reason podcasting hasn't come as close to mass
            media as podcasters would like. In fact, the mass media (major
            television and radio networks) has done more to evangelize podcasts to
            non-podcasters than indie podcasters.

            But that's probably a topic for another thread...

            --
            Matthew Wayne Selznick
            Author and DIY New Media Creator
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
              And, I'm interested in examples of multi-show podcasters. When I was
              slamming away in the niche-blogging world, it was sort of a given that if
              you take a being a blogger, you were destined to start another blog within
              a year. That urge seems to be present in podcasting, if less intensely, but
              podcasters seem more likely to team up on group side projects.

              I mean, seriously. How many of you have more than one podcast? How many of
              you contribute regularly to another podcast? What's up with that?

              ~Mer
              braindouche.net
              sweetcourchexperience.com

              --
              Meredith Matthews
              mer@... | 484.524.2507 | twitter @braindouche

            • writerpatrick
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                What I find interesting is the low number of new podcasters. Less than 5% have been at it for less than 6 months and less than 20% have been at it one year. I would expect those numbers to be the largest. Could it be that the new podcasters don't use things such as Yahoo Groups and other places that would allow them to find the survey?

                Or is it that people are choosing to become YouTube-casters instead? With YouTube you don't have to worry about promotion the same way as podcasts require. And everyone is talking about YouTube all the time. When have you heard a major broadcaster mention podcasts?

                I have noticed that the activity on many of the podcast forums like Podcast Pickle is down. There's a few new people who post one or two messages, promote their site, then disappear. They just don't seem to have the sense of community. Or maybe they just rely upon Facebook for that community. (I really don't bother with it much myself, although I probably should be working on it more.)
              • Todd Cochrane
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                  From my Stats

                  What happens is that over 70% of new podcasters don not make it past
                  show 7 and another 13% do not make it past show 25. Simply because they
                  find out it is hard work and most have not done their homework on how to
                  get their show launched and to get attention. Those shows that do make
                  it past show 25 usually have staying power.

                  Todd...

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                    I am not sure why you would call podcasting a niche as almost every
                    media producer in existence is having there media in one form or another
                    delivered via rss aka podcast.

                    Having been in the space in the very early days of the space Oct 2nd,
                    2004 and was probably in the first 100 or so that created shows. You can
                    look at my show if you want as an example. I just went over 500 shows
                    last month and still have a audience that is growing daily. It is my
                    primary source of income. But I also produce 4-5 other shows that do not
                    have as high a time demand.

                    Todd..

                    Braindouche! wrote:

                    > And, I'm interested in examples of multi-show podcasters. When I was
                    > slamming away in the niche-blogging world, it was sort of a given that if
                    > you take a being a blogger, you were destined to start another blog within
                    > a year. That urge seems to be present in podcasting, if less
                    > intensely, but
                    > podcasters seem more likely to team up on group side projects.
                    >
                    > I mean, seriously. How many of you have more than one podcast? How many of
                    > you contribute regularly to another podcast? What's up with that?
                    >
                    > ~Mer
                    > braindouche.net
                    > sweetcourchexperience.com
                    >
                    > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...
                    > <mailto:danhughes%40juno.com>> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Kris, one more fly in the ointment:
                    > >
                    > > How incestuous is podcasting?
                    > >
                    > > That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other
                    > podcasters,
                    > > at least partially if not completely?
                    > >
                    > > Podcasting seems to be almost a closed community, in that podcasters
                    > > listen heavily to other podcasts. They do promos for their podcasts in
                    > > other podcasts, and many podcasts talk about podcasting in some form or
                    > > other. Are there many podcasts that never mention podcasting?
                    > >
                    > > My two podcasts are not tailored for the podcast community at all,
                    > but to
                    > > groups that don't even know what a podcast is. My listeners find me
                    > > through message boards that discuss my topics (treasure hunting and
                    > > softball). My guess is that the great majority of my listeners have
                    > > never heard of Podcast Alley, or even know there are thousands of other
                    > > podcasts out there.
                    > >
                    > > ---Dan

                  • Todd Cochrane
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                      Matthew

                      I would agree hard core evangelism stopped about the time iTunes added
                      podcasting support to iTunes July 2005. Since that time I think
                      podcasters have thought that Apple would carry the day...

                      Also another thing that is hurting the space, is that most of my growth
                      came from promoting other shows actively. Most shows do not promote
                      other podcast and vice versa. I think this is why the podcasts over at
                      TechPodcasts.com have done so well is that we actively promote the heck
                      out of each other and promote the space outside of the podcast space.

                      Todd..

                      Matthew Wayne Selznick wrote:

                      > Possibly the number one reason podcasting hasn't come as close to mass
                      > media as podcasters would like. In fact, the mass media (major
                      > television and radio networks) has done more to evangelize podcasts to
                      > non-podcasters than indie podcasters.
                      >
                      > But that's probably a topic for another thread...
                      >
                      > -

                    • Todd Cochrane
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                        If you are looking to reach a larger group of podcasters next time, feel
                        free to drop me an email we can include a link to any survey etc to our
                        community of podcasters.

                        Todd

                        > On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:47 AM, kris3198<kris3198@...
                        > <mailto:kris3198%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                        > > A summary of my research conducted last year on independent audio
                        > podcasters
                        > > is available here:
                        > >
                        > > https://umdrive.memphis.edu/kmmrkman/www/Markman_podcasters2009.html
                        > <https://umdrive.memphis.edu/kmmrkman/www/Markman_podcasters2009.html>
                        > > I plan to continue my research on podcasters, so I welcome any feedback.
                        > > What would you like to know about the podcasting community? How can the
                        > > academic world help podcasters?

                      • David Jackson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                          Same here. I started with one show, and every time I find a passion I create a podcast. Some have podfaded with my passion, but Most I produce on a bi-weekly basis.

                          Dave Jackson
                          www.betterdave.com
                          www.customerserviceshow.com
                          www.powerofpodcasting.com << coming in September answering the "why should I" question.

                          Braindouche! wrote:

                          > And, I'm interested in examples of multi-show podcasters. When I was
                          > slamming away in the niche-blogging world, it was sort of a given that if
                          > you take a being a blogger, you were destined to start another blog within
                          > a year. That urge seems to be present in podcasting, if less
                          > intensely, but
                          > podcasters seem more likely to team up on group side projects.
                          >
                          > I mean, seriously. How many of you have more than one podcast? How many of
                          > you contribute regularly to another podcast? What's up with that?
                          >
                          > ~Mer
                          > braindouche.net
                          > sweetcourchexperience.com
                          >
                          > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...
                          > <mailto:danhughes%40juno.com>> wrote:
                          >

                          > > Kris, one more fly in the ointment:
                          > >
                          > > How incestuous is podcasting?
                          > >
                          > > That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other
                          > podcasters,
                          > > at least partially if not completely?
                          > >
                          > > Podcasting seems to be almost a closed community, in that podcasters
                          > > listen heavily to other podcasts. They do promos for their podcasts in
                          > > other podcasts, and many podcasts talk about podcasting in some form or
                          > > other. Are there many podcasts that never mention podcasting?
                          > >
                          > > My two podcasts are not tailored for the podcast community at all,
                          > but to
                          > > groups that don't even know what a podcast is. My listeners find me
                          > > through message boards that discuss my topics (treasure hunting and
                          > > softball). My guess is that the great majority of my listeners have
                          > > never heard of Podcast Alley, or even know there are thousands of other
                          > > podcasts out there.
                          > >
                          > > ---Dan

                        • kris3198
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                            Hello Dan (and everyone),

                            (I tried to post this a moment ago, but I think my message got eaten).

                            Just to clarify, the Pew stats I posted are for DAILY activities, which Pew measures by asking "Did you do this activity yesterday?"

                            They also ask "Have you ever done this activity?" and those numbers are indeed higher. If you're interested, the chart is here, along with survey dates:
                            http://www.pewinternet.org/Trend-Data/Online-Activites-Total.aspx

                            The social networking numbers are from Dec. 08, so they don't capture the recent explosion in Facebook users. I suspect we'll see new numbers on that soon. Still, I would add that as a group podcasters seem to be very much in the early adopter group, like most social media advocates, and such are really dissimilar from the *average* adult internet user.

                            There have been a lot of other interesting comments on this thread. I'll be on the road for a few days, but I hope to be able to respond more next week.

                            -Kris
                            ---------- ---------- ----------

                            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                            > Kris, you posted:
                            > --------------------
                            > Daily activities: All internet users/Podcasters from survey
                            > Use email: 57%/98.5%
                            > Use social networking site(s):19%/63.7%
                            > Twitter or other status update: 5%/59.3%
                            > --------------------
                            >
                            > How old are those Pew stats? I can't believe that 43% of internet users
                            > don't do email.
                            >
                            > And I think the use of social networking sites and Twitter has
                            > skyrocketed in the past few months. Virtually everyone I know (and I'm
                            > 61) is now into Facebook, for example.
                            >
                            > I'd try to get updated stats before you issue your report, if that's
                            > possible.
                            >
                            > ---Dan

                          • Braindouche!
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 13, 2009
                              No sir, I'm not calling podcasting a niche, but I do think it's very similar
                              to The-Practice-Of-Niche-Blogging, particularly in terms of networking and
                              grass-roots-type marketing and audience building. They're about the same age
                              and take advantage of the same technology, so they grew up with similar
                              methods.

                              For the record, I also think that niche blogging is D-E-D dead. Podcasting
                              isn't, but it's certainly lost of lot of it's evangelistic tendencies as
                              well as shaken off a lot of what you might call "unreasonable expectations",
                              too.

                              ~Mer
                              braindouche.net
                              sweetcouchexperience.com

                              --
                              Meredith Matthews
                              mer@... | 484.524.2507 | twitter @braindouche
                              braindouche.net | podcast mayhem
                              hotgluemedia.com | design | web | audio | communication
                              sweettarragon.com | jewelry and accessories

                            • David Smith
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 15, 2009
                                I have three. So far.

                                Grizzly's Growls: "Some Dork with a Microphone," as Evo Terra terms it.

                                Stories from the Hiber-Nation: Storytelling. Well, more audiobook
                                production.

                                The IDSL: Minnesota Indie music.

                                I have occasionally contributed a bit to other podcasts, but not so much
                                lately.

                                It was 13 Aug 2009, when Braindouche! commented:

                                > And, I'm interested in examples of multi-show podcasters. When I was
                                > slamming away in the niche-blogging world, it was sort of a given that if
                                > you take a being a blogger, you were destined to start another blog within
                                > a year. That urge seems to be present in podcasting, if less intensely, but
                                > podcasters seem more likely to team up on group side projects.
                                >
                                > I mean, seriously. How many of you have more than one podcast? How many of
                                > you contribute regularly to another podcast? What's up with that?
                                >
                                > ~Mer
                                > braindouche.net
                                > sweetcourchexperience.com
                                >
                                > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > > Kris, one more fly in the ointment:
                                > >
                                > > How incestuous is podcasting?
                                > >
                                > > That is, how many podcasters do shows that are aimed at other podcasters,
                                > > at least partially if not completely?
                                > >
                                > > Podcasting seems to be almost a closed community, in that podcasters
                                > > listen heavily to other podcasts. They do promos for their podcasts in
                                > > other podcasts, and many podcasts talk about podcasting in some form or
                                > > other. Are there many podcasts that never mention podcasting?
                                > >
                                > > My two podcasts are not tailored for the podcast community at all, but to
                                > > groups that don't even know what a podcast is. My listeners find me
                                > > through message boards that discuss my topics (treasure hunting and
                                > > softball). My guess is that the great majority of my listeners have never
                                > > heard of Podcast Alley, or even know there are thousands of other
                                > > podcasts out there.
                                > >
                                > > ---Dan
                                > >

                                > --
                                > Meredith Matthews
                                > mer@... | 484.524.2507 | twitter @braindouche
                                > braindouche.net | podcast mayhem
                                > hotgluemedia.com | design | web | audio | communication
                                > sweettarragon.com | jewelry and accessories

                                grizzly at grizzlysgrowls dot com
                                Grizzly's Podcasts & Stories: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>
                                Live shows on BTR: <http://live.grizzlysgrowls.com>
                              • leesarbarnes
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 18, 2009
                                  I wrote Podcasting for Profit and interviewed over 50 podcasters on the various ways they are making money with their podcast. You can buy the book (shameless plug) or you can drop me a line offlist and I'll forward you some names.

                                  --

                                  Thanks,

                                  Leesa Barnes
                                  http://marketingfit.com