Suggestions for subscriber prizes?

  • kscolligan
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 10, 2009
      Hi all,

      We just added userpoints on WellToldTales.com. Post a comment, get 5 points. Post a short story or video, get 25 points, etc.

      I'd like to set up a monthly prize for members with the highest points. Maybe novels or ebooks or audiobooks in our main genres (horror, sci-fi, crime.)

      If there are any small publishers or novelists who'd like to offer prizes in exchange for promotion (or a SMALL fee -- we're pretty low-budget), drop me a line.

      Any other ideas for prizes? Have any other podcasts doled out prizes with any level of success?

      Unfortunately, springing for something pricey -- like an iPod -- won't be feasible for the foreseeable future.

      Thanks,
      Kevin

      Well Told Tales
      pulp-fiction community

      http://WellToldTales.com
    • Dave Jackson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2009
        Possibly look into a non apple audio player, or iTunes gifts certificates.

        Dave Jackson
        www.schoolofpodcasting.com
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "kscolligan" <kscolligan@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > We just added userpoints on WellToldTales.com. Post a comment, get 5 points. Post a short story or video, get 25 points, etc.
        >
        > I'd like to set up a monthly prize for members with the highest points. Maybe novels or ebooks or audiobooks in our main genres (horror, sci-fi, crime.)
        >
        > If there are any small publishers or novelists who'd like to offer prizes in exchange for promotion (or a SMALL fee -- we're pretty low-budget), drop me a line.
        >
        > Any other ideas for prizes? Have any other podcasts doled out prizes with any level of success?
        >
        > Unfortunately, springing for something pricey -- like an iPod -- won't be feasible for the foreseeable future.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Kevin
        >
        > Well Told Tales
        > pulp-fiction community
        >
        > http://WellToldTales.com

      • Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2009
          On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM, kscolligan<kscolligan@...> wrote:
          > We just added userpoints on WellToldTales.com. Post a comment, get 5 points.
          > Post a short story or video, get 25 points, etc.
          >
          > I'd like to set up a monthly prize for members with the highest points.
          > Maybe novels or ebooks or audiobooks in our main genres (horror, sci-fi,
          > crime.)
          >
          > If there are any small publishers or novelists who'd like to offer prizes in
          > exchange for promotion (or a SMALL fee -- we're pretty low-budget), drop me
          > a line.

          Hey there, Kevin. Contact me directly about contributing a copy of the
          paperback edition of "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era."

          Best,

          --
          Matthew Wayne Selznick
          Author and DIY New Media Creator
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 11, 2009
            My local library has a sales room full of books (including a few shelves
            of SF), fifty cents for paperbacks and a dollar for hardbacks. Many of
            them are brand new. Keep your eyes open for deals like this!

            ---Dan
          • writerpatrick
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12, 2009
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "kscolligan" <kscolligan@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > We just added userpoints on WellToldTales.com. Post a comment, get 5 points. Post a short story or video, get 25 points, etc.
              >
              > Any other ideas for prizes? Have any other podcasts doled out prizes with any level of success?

              A cheap prize could be something like a bookmark. You could have a bunch of bookmarks printed up and send them out in regular envelopes.

              Another possiblity is to create your own anthology of the winners. You could send it around to publishers to see if they're interested, and if not you could use something like Lulu to publish it yourself. It costs nothing if you just publish it as an e-book, although they charge a reasonable fee for an ISBN number if you want to publish it as a POD on Amazon. It just might take a year before you have enough material, but the revenues (if there's much) could be used to help support the podcast.
            • Kevin Bachelder
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12, 2009
                > Any other ideas for prizes?  Have any other podcasts doled out prizes with any level of success?
                >
                > Unfortunately, springing for something pricey -- like an iPod -- won't be feasible for the foreseeable future.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Kevin
                >
                > Well Told Tales

                I'd also recommend some Amazon.com or Audible.com gift certificates.
                Even in small amounts most folks would find a way to use those.

                Good luck,

                Kevin
                -----

                Fan of Science Fiction?
                If so, then you might enjoy listening to these award winning podcasts...

                Tuning Into Scifi TV
                http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

                The Signal (Firefly)
                http://www.serenityfirefly.com

                The ScapeCast (Farscape)
                http://www.scapecast.org

                Dragon*Pod (Dragon*Con)
                http://www.dragon-pod.com
              • David Smith
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 15, 2009
                  It was 12 Aug 2009, when writerpatrick commented:

                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "kscolligan" <kscolligan@...> wrote: > >
                  > Hi all, > > We just added userpoints on WellToldTales.com. Post a comment,
                  > get 5 points. Post a short story or video, get 25 points, etc. > > Any
                  > other ideas for prizes? Have any other podcasts doled out prizes with any
                  > level of success?
                  >
                  > A cheap prize could be something like a bookmark. You could have a bunch of
                  > bookmarks printed up and send them out in regular envelopes.
                  >
                  > Another possiblity is to create your own anthology of the winners. You
                  > could send it around to publishers to see if they're interested, and if not
                  > you could use something like Lulu to publish it yourself. It costs nothing
                  > if you just publish it as an e-book, although they charge a reasonable fee
                  > for an ISBN number if you want to publish it as a POD on Amazon. It just
                  > might take a year before you have enough material, but the revenues (if
                  > there's much) could be used to help support the podcast.

                  Along with my storytelling podcast and audiobooks, I also do a music
                  podcast, and was recently asked by Ariel Publicity if I wanted any CDs
                  from their artists to give away as prizes and such. If their artists have
                  music that suits your podcast's style, play a bit of it with appropriate
                  attribution and links, and you have your prizes. Should work.

                  --

                  grizzly at grizzlysgrowls dot com
                  Grizzly's Podcasts & Stories: <http://grizzlysgrowls.com>