Re: [podcasters] press release

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
      On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Jeri
      Unselt<walkerdependentmusicfan@...> wrote:
      > I had a press release done in the regards of a contest I'm doing on my show
      > The John Payne Fancast. Does anyone have any idea where I can send it to?

      Maybe you'd appreciate a serious answer?

      Think about your audience AND prospective audience. Are their
      progressive rock newsletters or fanzines, either electronic or print?
      What about bass guitar magazines? Ditto blogs that cover same. Check
      out each resource and see if they have a posted policy on press
      releases or user-contributed content, and follow that policy. If they
      don't have a specific policy, check their contact listings and send a
      very polite e-mail to whomever seems most likely to be in charge.
      Play it by ear -- it might not be the best idea to simply send the
      press release blind. Also, keep in mind that some venues will print
      your release verbatim, so make it easy for them. Either include it in
      the body of the e-mail, or as a plain text attachment. Don't use PDF,
      it's a pain in the ass to copy from and all that formatting will
      probably not be used anyway.

      I *don't* recommend using the various press release distribution
      services out there. You might as well drop leaflets from an airplane.
      It's better to target you efforts, the tighter the better.

      Good luck!

      --
      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Author and DIY New Media Creator