RE: [podcasters] press release

  • Jon Allen
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
      The press might be favourite.

      Jon Allen
      Stuff & Sense
      Creative Marketing and Communications

      jonallen1@...
      Jon.Allen@...
      www.stuffandsense.com

      The Pump House
      London, England, UK

      To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
      From: walkerdependentmusicfan@...
      Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 18:12:51 -0600
      Subject: [podcasters] press release

      Hey everyone,
      I had a press release done in the regards of a contest I'm doing on my show
      The John Payne Fancast. Does anyone have any idea where I can send it to?

      Thanks!!!

      Jeri

      http://www.johnpaynefancast.net

    • Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
        On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Jeri
        Unselt<walkerdependentmusicfan@...> wrote:
        > I had a press release done in the regards of a contest I'm doing on my show
        > The John Payne Fancast. Does anyone have any idea where I can send it to?

        Maybe you'd appreciate a serious answer?

        Think about your audience AND prospective audience. Are their
        progressive rock newsletters or fanzines, either electronic or print?
        What about bass guitar magazines? Ditto blogs that cover same. Check
        out each resource and see if they have a posted policy on press
        releases or user-contributed content, and follow that policy. If they
        don't have a specific policy, check their contact listings and send a
        very polite e-mail to whomever seems most likely to be in charge.
        Play it by ear -- it might not be the best idea to simply send the
        press release blind. Also, keep in mind that some venues will print
        your release verbatim, so make it easy for them. Either include it in
        the body of the e-mail, or as a plain text attachment. Don't use PDF,
        it's a pain in the ass to copy from and all that formatting will
        probably not be used anyway.

        I *don't* recommend using the various press release distribution
        services out there. You might as well drop leaflets from an airplane.
        It's better to target you efforts, the tighter the better.

        Good luck!

        --
        Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Author and DIY New Media Creator