A $2.00 solution for sound problems

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 15, 2009
      Calvin says,
      -------------------------------
      there's bad ambient room noise. (The room is a huge "bonus room" in my
      house with high ceilings and lots of flat echoy walls.)
      -------------------------------

      Calvin, you might try making a sound box. Mine cost me two dollars: a
      dollar for the milk crate and a dollar for the foam rubber camping pad
      that I cut up (got them both at yard sales):

      I record in a spare bedroom with no acoustical treatment except that my
      mic is in this box. Looks weird but sounds fine! (Audio sample: listen
      to program #022 at http://thetreasurecorner.com which was recorded with
      this setup.) I use a Rode NT1000 into a small Mackie mixer into my
      desktop, no processing at all.

      ---Dan, http://danhughes.net

    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 15, 2009
        Well, I see that yahoogroups has stripped out the photo I sent with my
        note to Calvin, making the post useless.

        Trying again:

        http://danhughes.net/pod/studiobox.jpg

      • Jonathon_M_Johnson@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 17, 2009
          Hey Dan-

          Great idea!

          What other material would be great to use instead of the gray foam?

          Maybe a paper egg crate?

          Bubble wrap?

          Flat foam?

          Is the sound deadening caused by the material used or the angled design?

          I listened to #22 and then compared it to #23 and it seemed that #22 was a bit louder.

          Does the foam deaden the area and make it louder when recording?

          If so, would just turning down the levels fix the problem?

          Turn in next week for Dan's Fix'm Tips.

          Cheers

          Jonathon M. Johnson
          Colorado

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 17, 2009
            Jonathon asks,
            -------------------------
            What other material would be great to use instead of the gray foam? Maybe
            a paper egg crate? Bubble wrap? Flat foam?

            Is the sound deadening caused by the material used or the angled design?

            I listened to #22 and then compared it to #23 and it seemed that #22 was
            a bit louder.

            Does the foam deaden the area and make it louder when recording?

            If so, would just turning down the levels fix the problem?
            -----------------------------

            All the stuff you mentioned as liner material is inexpensive - I'd say
            experiment. Try 'em all! Try a blanket, too. I don't know the physics
            of sound deadening; I just try different things and see what works in
            real life.

            #22 was louder than #23? Probably I just had the level set differently
            when I recorded it.

            As for adjusting levels to fix problems, give it a try and see what
            happens!

            ---Dan

          • Walt Snider
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 19, 2009
              How about plush carpet remnants? I'd guess you can get them for free from a local carpeting store or even a sample for a couple bucks?

              Walt Snider
              phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
              email: walt@...

              web: www.WaltSnider.com

              blog: www.OffTheWalt.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 19, 2009
                Walt, I think plush carpet samples would work fine in this box. Maybe a
                thick blanket, too. Should be fun to experiment with different materials
                and see what effects you can get.

                ---Dan
              • Walt Snider
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 20, 2009
                  Mind you, this is coming from a guy that knows not a lot about the science
                  of soundwaves in the wild, but I think a carpet would work better than a
                  blanket because the waves would get trapped in the more porous surface, as
                  opposed to a blanket, unless you made the blanket look like one of those
                  wrinklie dogs?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 20, 2009
                    Walt speculates,
                    ---------------------------
                    Mind you, this is coming from a guy that knows not a lot about the
                    science of soundwaves in the wild, but I think a carpet would work better
                    than a blanket because the waves would get trapped in the more porous
                    surface, as opposed to a blanket, unless you made the blanket look like
                    one of those wrinklie dogs?
                    ---------------------------
                    Walt, I think this is one of those cases where instead of dragging out
                    the calculator and audio formulae and graphing the theoretical frequency
                    bands for different materials, it's easier (and more fun) to just try
                    each material and see what it souds like to human ears in the real world.

                    ---Dan

                    P.S. The wrinklie dog may actually be your best bet, if you can get him
                    to hold still.

                  • Walt Snider
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 22, 2009
                      I agree, but I do my recording open-air.