Re: [podcasters] Re: Portable Digital Records

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
      On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Paul Puri<paulpuri@...> wrote:
      > The owner of this email account
      > cannot respond. He/she is at the moment,
      > under a desk in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably,
      > due to the mental images pictured after a previous post.

      I have a great deal of respect for this, Paul. Not many men are open
      enough to have (or admit) such a strong and sensitive reaction to
      aesthetic perfection. Particularly in another man.

      (Me, I was thinking about *Minx* naked. But maybe I'm just weird that
      way. Far be it for me to object if that's not as interesting to you.)

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
        On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Stephen Eley<SFEley@...> wrote:
        > I respectfully disagree that the H4 does poorly with Shure dynamics.
        > I've had good luck using mine with my Shure SM57, so long as the gain
        > is set to medium or high.

        Agreed! I've only recently begun playing with the H4, but I recorded
        an entire audio book for a client using my trusty SM58 through the H4
        and it worked great. Ya gotta have that gain up, as Steve says.

        --
        Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Author and DIY New Media Creator

        "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era,"
        plus commentary, short stories, music and more:
        http://www.mattselznick.com
      • Paul Puri
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
          On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

          > I have a great deal of respect for this, Paul. Not many men are open
          > enough to have (or admit) such a strong and sensitive reaction to
          > aesthetic perfection. Particularly in another man.
          >
          > (Me, I was thinking about *Minx* naked. But maybe I'm just weird that
          > way. Far be it for me to object if that's not as interesting to you.)

          You got me there Stephen.

          I'm a closet Eley-sexual. Alas, there is no fruit more sweet than the
          forbidden.

          ;>)
          --
          Paul Puri

          Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/paul.puri

          Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

          Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

          Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

        • Calvin Powers
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 15, 2009
            Thanks all for the thoughts on the H4. I ordered and H4n and am eagerly
            waiting on its arrival. The discussion about gain and haivng suficient
            difference between sound level and ambient room sound was very informative.
            I have had similar problems with my Heil PR-40 going into my Alesys mixing
            board. The levels are generaly too low and I either have to speak louder
            than is comfrtable into the microphone or turn the gains up so high on the
            mixer that there's bad ambient room noise. (The room is a huge "bonus room"
            in my house with high ceilings and lots of flat echoy walls. ) Usually if I
            fiddle with the gains I can get it just about where I want it and then do a
            bit of compression and amplification in software. The problem is that in the
            long run, I'd like to be able to do a more or less "live to tape" podcast.
            So I still have lots of learning to do. Which brings me to my next
            question.....

            I have been watching all my local community college course catalogs for a
            sound engineering course that I could take but have not seen any. Is anyone
            aware of any online training for sound engineers? And failing that, gasp, I
            might even be willing to read a book on the subject if anyone could
            recommend a good one.

            Thanks,
            Calvin Powers