Re: [podcasters] Re: Portable Digital Records

  • Paul Puri
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
      On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:

      > What's your problem, Paul?
      >
      > You've seen it all before, some of us even have the pictures to prove it.
      > Safely stored on a lead covered USB stick for everyone's safety.
      >
      > Martin

      ----- BEGIN AUTO RESPONSE ----
      The owner of this email account
      cannot respond. He/she is at the moment,
      under a desk in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably,
      due to the mental images pictured after a previous post.

      We apologize for this, and are sure he/she will return
      after some deep psychological therapy.
      ----- END AUTO RESPONSE ----

      --
      Paul Puri

      Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/paul.puri

      Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

      Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

      Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
        On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Paul Puri<paulpuri@...> wrote:
        > The owner of this email account
        > cannot respond. He/she is at the moment,
        > under a desk in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably,
        > due to the mental images pictured after a previous post.

        I have a great deal of respect for this, Paul. Not many men are open
        enough to have (or admit) such a strong and sensitive reaction to
        aesthetic perfection. Particularly in another man.

        (Me, I was thinking about *Minx* naked. But maybe I'm just weird that
        way. Far be it for me to object if that's not as interesting to you.)

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
          On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Stephen Eley<SFEley@...> wrote:
          > I respectfully disagree that the H4 does poorly with Shure dynamics.
          > I've had good luck using mine with my Shure SM57, so long as the gain
          > is set to medium or high.

          Agreed! I've only recently begun playing with the H4, but I recorded
          an entire audio book for a client using my trusty SM58 through the H4
          and it worked great. Ya gotta have that gain up, as Steve says.

          --
          Matthew Wayne Selznick
          Author and DIY New Media Creator

          "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era,"
          plus commentary, short stories, music and more:
          http://www.mattselznick.com
        • Paul Puri
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
            On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

            > I have a great deal of respect for this, Paul. Not many men are open
            > enough to have (or admit) such a strong and sensitive reaction to
            > aesthetic perfection. Particularly in another man.
            >
            > (Me, I was thinking about *Minx* naked. But maybe I'm just weird that
            > way. Far be it for me to object if that's not as interesting to you.)

            You got me there Stephen.

            I'm a closet Eley-sexual. Alas, there is no fruit more sweet than the
            forbidden.

            ;>)
            --
            Paul Puri

            Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/paul.puri

            Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

            Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

            Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

          • Calvin Powers
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 15, 2009
              Thanks all for the thoughts on the H4. I ordered and H4n and am eagerly
              waiting on its arrival. The discussion about gain and haivng suficient
              difference between sound level and ambient room sound was very informative.
              I have had similar problems with my Heil PR-40 going into my Alesys mixing
              board. The levels are generaly too low and I either have to speak louder
              than is comfrtable into the microphone or turn the gains up so high on the
              mixer that there's bad ambient room noise. (The room is a huge "bonus room"
              in my house with high ceilings and lots of flat echoy walls. ) Usually if I
              fiddle with the gains I can get it just about where I want it and then do a
              bit of compression and amplification in software. The problem is that in the
              long run, I'd like to be able to do a more or less "live to tape" podcast.
              So I still have lots of learning to do. Which brings me to my next
              question.....

              I have been watching all my local community college course catalogs for a
              sound engineering course that I could take but have not seen any. Is anyone
              aware of any online training for sound engineers? And failing that, gasp, I
              might even be willing to read a book on the subject if anyone could
              recommend a good one.

              Thanks,
              Calvin Powers