Re: [podcasters] Re: Portable Digital Records

  • Martin McKeay
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
      What's your problem, Paul?

      You've seen it all before, some of us even have the pictures to prove it.
      Safely stored on a lead covered USB stick for everyone's safety.

      Martin

      Martin McKeay
      CISSP, GSNA, QSA
      Network Security Blog and Podcast
      http://www.mckeay.net
      http://netsecpodcast.com
      Twitter: @McKeay
      Cell: 707-495-7926

      On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Paul Puri <paulpuri@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I will confess that the content
      > > itself is pretty cheesy; but so what? Cunning Minx. Naked. I regret
      > > nothing.) >8->
      > >

      > Stephen naked!?!?
      >

      > MY EYES!!!!!!
      >

      > --
      > Paul Puri
      >
      > The most interesting person you will never meet!
      >
      > Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/paul.puri
      >
      > Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com
      >
      > Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri
      >
      > Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

    • Paul Puri
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
        On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:

        > What's your problem, Paul?
        >
        > You've seen it all before, some of us even have the pictures to prove it.
        > Safely stored on a lead covered USB stick for everyone's safety.
        >
        > Martin

        ----- BEGIN AUTO RESPONSE ----
        The owner of this email account
        cannot respond. He/she is at the moment,
        under a desk in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably,
        due to the mental images pictured after a previous post.

        We apologize for this, and are sure he/she will return
        after some deep psychological therapy.
        ----- END AUTO RESPONSE ----

        --
        Paul Puri

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
          On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Paul Puri<paulpuri@...> wrote:
          > The owner of this email account
          > cannot respond. He/she is at the moment,
          > under a desk in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably,
          > due to the mental images pictured after a previous post.

          I have a great deal of respect for this, Paul. Not many men are open
          enough to have (or admit) such a strong and sensitive reaction to
          aesthetic perfection. Particularly in another man.

          (Me, I was thinking about *Minx* naked. But maybe I'm just weird that
          way. Far be it for me to object if that's not as interesting to you.)

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Matthew Wayne Selznick
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
            On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Stephen Eley<SFEley@...> wrote:
            > I respectfully disagree that the H4 does poorly with Shure dynamics.
            > I've had good luck using mine with my Shure SM57, so long as the gain
            > is set to medium or high.

            Agreed! I've only recently begun playing with the H4, but I recorded
            an entire audio book for a client using my trusty SM58 through the H4
            and it worked great. Ya gotta have that gain up, as Steve says.

            --
            Matthew Wayne Selznick
            Author and DIY New Media Creator

            "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era,"
            plus commentary, short stories, music and more:
            http://www.mattselznick.com
          • Paul Puri
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
              On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

              > I have a great deal of respect for this, Paul. Not many men are open
              > enough to have (or admit) such a strong and sensitive reaction to
              > aesthetic perfection. Particularly in another man.
              >
              > (Me, I was thinking about *Minx* naked. But maybe I'm just weird that
              > way. Far be it for me to object if that's not as interesting to you.)

              You got me there Stephen.

              I'm a closet Eley-sexual. Alas, there is no fruit more sweet than the
              forbidden.

              ;>)
              --
              Paul Puri

              Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/paul.puri

              Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

              Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

              Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

            • Calvin Powers
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 15, 2009
                Thanks all for the thoughts on the H4. I ordered and H4n and am eagerly
                waiting on its arrival. The discussion about gain and haivng suficient
                difference between sound level and ambient room sound was very informative.
                I have had similar problems with my Heil PR-40 going into my Alesys mixing
                board. The levels are generaly too low and I either have to speak louder
                than is comfrtable into the microphone or turn the gains up so high on the
                mixer that there's bad ambient room noise. (The room is a huge "bonus room"
                in my house with high ceilings and lots of flat echoy walls. ) Usually if I
                fiddle with the gains I can get it just about where I want it and then do a
                bit of compression and amplification in software. The problem is that in the
                long run, I'd like to be able to do a more or less "live to tape" podcast.
                So I still have lots of learning to do. Which brings me to my next
                question.....

                I have been watching all my local community college course catalogs for a
                sound engineering course that I could take but have not seen any. Is anyone
                aware of any online training for sound engineers? And failing that, gasp, I
                might even be willing to read a book on the subject if anyone could
                recommend a good one.

                Thanks,
                Calvin Powers