Re: [podcasters] Re: Portable Digital Records

  • Paul Puri
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
      On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

      > I will confess that the content
      > itself is pretty cheesy; but so what? Cunning Minx. Naked. I regret
      > nothing.) >8->

      Stephen naked!?!?

      MY EYES!!!!!!

      --
      Paul Puri

      Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/paul.puri

      Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

      Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

      Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

    • Martin McKeay
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
        What's your problem, Paul?

        You've seen it all before, some of us even have the pictures to prove it.
        Safely stored on a lead covered USB stick for everyone's safety.

        Martin

        Martin McKeay
        CISSP, GSNA, QSA
        Network Security Blog and Podcast
        http://www.mckeay.net
        http://netsecpodcast.com
        Twitter: @McKeay
        Cell: 707-495-7926

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
          On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:

          > What's your problem, Paul?
          >
          > You've seen it all before, some of us even have the pictures to prove it.
          > Safely stored on a lead covered USB stick for everyone's safety.
          >
          > Martin

          ----- BEGIN AUTO RESPONSE ----
          The owner of this email account
          cannot respond. He/she is at the moment,
          under a desk in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably,
          due to the mental images pictured after a previous post.

          We apologize for this, and are sure he/she will return
          after some deep psychological therapy.
          ----- END AUTO RESPONSE ----

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
            On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Paul Puri<paulpuri@...> wrote:
            > The owner of this email account
            > cannot respond. He/she is at the moment,
            > under a desk in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably,
            > due to the mental images pictured after a previous post.

            I have a great deal of respect for this, Paul. Not many men are open
            enough to have (or admit) such a strong and sensitive reaction to
            aesthetic perfection. Particularly in another man.

            (Me, I was thinking about *Minx* naked. But maybe I'm just weird that
            way. Far be it for me to object if that's not as interesting to you.)

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • Matthew Wayne Selznick
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
              On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Stephen Eley<SFEley@...> wrote:
              > I respectfully disagree that the H4 does poorly with Shure dynamics.
              > I've had good luck using mine with my Shure SM57, so long as the gain
              > is set to medium or high.

              Agreed! I've only recently begun playing with the H4, but I recorded
              an entire audio book for a client using my trusty SM58 through the H4
              and it worked great. Ya gotta have that gain up, as Steve says.

              --
              Matthew Wayne Selznick
              Author and DIY New Media Creator

              "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era,"
              plus commentary, short stories, music and more:
              http://www.mattselznick.com
            • Paul Puri
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 14, 2009
                On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                > I have a great deal of respect for this, Paul. Not many men are open
                > enough to have (or admit) such a strong and sensitive reaction to
                > aesthetic perfection. Particularly in another man.
                >
                > (Me, I was thinking about *Minx* naked. But maybe I'm just weird that
                > way. Far be it for me to object if that's not as interesting to you.)

                You got me there Stephen.

                I'm a closet Eley-sexual. Alas, there is no fruit more sweet than the
                forbidden.

                ;>)
                --
                Paul Puri

                Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/paul.puri

                Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

                Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

              • Calvin Powers
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 15, 2009
                  Thanks all for the thoughts on the H4. I ordered and H4n and am eagerly
                  waiting on its arrival. The discussion about gain and haivng suficient
                  difference between sound level and ambient room sound was very informative.
                  I have had similar problems with my Heil PR-40 going into my Alesys mixing
                  board. The levels are generaly too low and I either have to speak louder
                  than is comfrtable into the microphone or turn the gains up so high on the
                  mixer that there's bad ambient room noise. (The room is a huge "bonus room"
                  in my house with high ceilings and lots of flat echoy walls. ) Usually if I
                  fiddle with the gains I can get it just about where I want it and then do a
                  bit of compression and amplification in software. The problem is that in the
                  long run, I'd like to be able to do a more or less "live to tape" podcast.
                  So I still have lots of learning to do. Which brings me to my next
                  question.....

                  I have been watching all my local community college course catalogs for a
                  sound engineering course that I could take but have not seen any. Is anyone
                  aware of any online training for sound engineers? And failing that, gasp, I
                  might even be willing to read a book on the subject if anyone could
                  recommend a good one.

                  Thanks,
                  Calvin Powers