Re: [podcasters] Portable Digital Records

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 14 7:50 PM
      On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Rich<wielgosz@...> wrote:

      >  If the background noise in the room is X dB quieter than what you're
      > recording (you're voice for example) it doesn't matter how much gain you
      > use (without distorting), that difference will remain the same.  In fact
      > you're better off recording with more gain because then you're farther
      > away from the noise floor of the device, itself.

      Agreed -- but with a stronger warning that you'd better make sure
      you're not clipping. (I have an hour-long file I made with my iRiver
      and a Giant Squid mic near the front of a Daikaiju concert. The
      iRiver was set at the recording levels I used for interviews earlier
      that day. *Occasionally* the nails-on-chalkboard distortion subsides
      enough that you can catch a couple notes of music. But mostly it's
      just torture.)

      Between the high and low extremes, though, environment and mic
      technique matters a whole lot more for live recording than the exact
      recording level. As long as there's always sufficient difference
      between signal and noise, you can fix most things in software.

      http://www.escapepod.org
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 14 8:14 PM
        On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 1:22 AM,
        joshuamcnichols<joshuamcnichols@...> wrote:
        > I love my Zoom H4.  The Pre-amps are terrible, so the levels are low, as I understand is typical with all flash recorders in this price range.  I understand the new H4n has better pre-amps.  As for the XLR jacks, they're great, at least if you use a condenser mic with its own battery (I had to reject a Shure SM58 cardoid mic because the levels were terrible - my Audio Technica shotgun mic does much better).

        I respectfully disagree that the H4 does poorly with Shure dynamics.
        I've had good luck using mine with my Shure SM57, so long as the gain
        is set to medium or high.

        The most exotic thing I ever did with my H4's XLR jacks was an outdoor
        group recording from my hot tub for my girlfriend's podcast. I had my
        AKG condenser mic set up on a boom stand a few feet away to capture
        the whole group and ambient sound, and then we passed around the SM57.
        (On the principle that if we dropped the dynamic mic in the water,
        nobody got fried.) >8->

        End result:
        http://polyweekly.com/archives/25
        http://media.libsyn.com/media/polyweekly/PWBonus_HotTubCast.mp3

        It took a little finessing to balance the levels from both channels,
        but I think the final product came out sounding pretty good. (From a
        technical perspective at least. I will confess that the content
        itself is pretty cheesy; but so what? Cunning Minx. Naked. I regret
        nothing.) >8->

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Paul Puri
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 14 8:31 PM
          On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

          > I will confess that the content
          > itself is pretty cheesy; but so what? Cunning Minx. Naked. I regret
          > nothing.) >8->

          Stephen naked!?!?

          MY EYES!!!!!!

          --
          Paul Puri

          Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/paul.puri

          Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

          Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

          Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

        • Martin McKeay
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 14 9:04 PM
            What's your problem, Paul?

            You've seen it all before, some of us even have the pictures to prove it.
            Safely stored on a lead covered USB stick for everyone's safety.

            Martin

            Martin McKeay
            CISSP, GSNA, QSA
            Network Security Blog and Podcast
            http://www.mckeay.net
            http://netsecpodcast.com
            Twitter: @McKeay
            Cell: 707-495-7926

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 14 9:12 PM
              On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:

              > What's your problem, Paul?
              >
              > You've seen it all before, some of us even have the pictures to prove it.
              > Safely stored on a lead covered USB stick for everyone's safety.
              >
              > Martin

              ----- BEGIN AUTO RESPONSE ----
              The owner of this email account
              cannot respond. He/she is at the moment,
              under a desk in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably,
              due to the mental images pictured after a previous post.

              We apologize for this, and are sure he/she will return
              after some deep psychological therapy.
              ----- END AUTO RESPONSE ----

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 14 9:34 PM
                On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Paul Puri<paulpuri@...> wrote:
                > The owner of this email account
                > cannot respond. He/she is at the moment,
                > under a desk in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably,
                > due to the mental images pictured after a previous post.

                I have a great deal of respect for this, Paul. Not many men are open
                enough to have (or admit) such a strong and sensitive reaction to
                aesthetic perfection. Particularly in another man.

                (Me, I was thinking about *Minx* naked. But maybe I'm just weird that
                way. Far be it for me to object if that's not as interesting to you.)

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • Matthew Wayne Selznick
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 14 9:58 PM
                  On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Stephen Eley<SFEley@...> wrote:
                  > I respectfully disagree that the H4 does poorly with Shure dynamics.
                  > I've had good luck using mine with my Shure SM57, so long as the gain
                  > is set to medium or high.

                  Agreed! I've only recently begun playing with the H4, but I recorded
                  an entire audio book for a client using my trusty SM58 through the H4
                  and it worked great. Ya gotta have that gain up, as Steve says.

                  --
                  Matthew Wayne Selznick
                  Author and DIY New Media Creator

                  "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era,"
                  plus commentary, short stories, music and more:
                  http://www.mattselznick.com
                • Paul Puri
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 14 10:02 PM
                    On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                    > I have a great deal of respect for this, Paul. Not many men are open
                    > enough to have (or admit) such a strong and sensitive reaction to
                    > aesthetic perfection. Particularly in another man.
                    >
                    > (Me, I was thinking about *Minx* naked. But maybe I'm just weird that
                    > way. Far be it for me to object if that's not as interesting to you.)

                    You got me there Stephen.

                    I'm a closet Eley-sexual. Alas, there is no fruit more sweet than the
                    forbidden.

                    ;>)
                    --
                    Paul Puri

                    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/paul.puri

                    Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

                    Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                    Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

                  • Calvin Powers
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 15 5:09 AM
                      Thanks all for the thoughts on the H4. I ordered and H4n and am eagerly
                      waiting on its arrival. The discussion about gain and haivng suficient
                      difference between sound level and ambient room sound was very informative.
                      I have had similar problems with my Heil PR-40 going into my Alesys mixing
                      board. The levels are generaly too low and I either have to speak louder
                      than is comfrtable into the microphone or turn the gains up so high on the
                      mixer that there's bad ambient room noise. (The room is a huge "bonus room"
                      in my house with high ceilings and lots of flat echoy walls. ) Usually if I
                      fiddle with the gains I can get it just about where I want it and then do a
                      bit of compression and amplification in software. The problem is that in the
                      long run, I'd like to be able to do a more or less "live to tape" podcast.
                      So I still have lots of learning to do. Which brings me to my next
                      question.....

                      I have been watching all my local community college course catalogs for a
                      sound engineering course that I could take but have not seen any. Is anyone
                      aware of any online training for sound engineers? And failing that, gasp, I
                      might even be willing to read a book on the subject if anyone could
                      recommend a good one.

                      Thanks,
                      Calvin Powers