Re: [podcasters] Re: Portable Digital Records

  • Erk Pod
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 14 12:48 AM
      I love my Zoom H4 as well. I always use the XLR mics and now I use it as my
      primary recorder for studio based work as well.

      I have used it a lot under various conditions and once you know how to drive
      the thing, it's pretty good. My only complaint is the centre button
      arrangement for the menu and other controls that isn't great for those of us
      who have un-elfish fingers!

      Erk, Sydney (Australia)

      Host of the Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Erk's Blast From The Past

      Producer of Judy's Blast FM.

      Find all 5 podcasts on Channel Erk. There is a podcast for everyone!

      http://www.channelerk.com
      erkpod@...

      Skype: erkpod
      Twitter: @erkpod (personal)
      Twitter: @channelerk (podcast updates)

      A member of the Association of Music Podcasting (AMP)
      http://musicpodcasting.org

    • Data Scavenger
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 14 6:32 PM
        I like my Zoom H4 well enough. :) I have to confirm what others have
        said about the levels, though. You can either have the recording be
        kind of quiet or (by using high gain) pick up everything in the room.
        Even when you use high gain, though, its still a little more quiet
        than you'd expect.

        That said, I own an H2, and H4, and I've gone through a few SanDisk
        MP3 players with recording and a few Olympus voice dictation devices
        and even a pair of USB headsets. I find myself using the H4 the most
        often. I like the H2 a lot for impromptu stuff and portability.
        However, my best sound comes from the H4, 2 mics, 2 table stands, two
        cables, and two AA batteries.

        Of course, I record at SCA events... So I'm effectively conducting
        interviews at camping events. :)

        My second biggest complaint about the H4 is that the interface is
        non-intuitive. It took me a while to puzzle out, but it does have its
        own sense of logic. Once you've figured it out, you'll be able to
        find and do what you need.

        I hope that helped!
      • Rich
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 14 6:43 PM
          On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 21:32 -0400, Data Scavenger wrote:

          If the background noise in the room is X dB quieter than what you're
          recording (you're voice for example) it doesn't matter how much gain you
          use (without distorting), that difference will remain the same. In fact
          you're better off recording with more gain because then you're farther
          away from the noise floor of the device, itself.

          That's just good gain-staging.

          Rich...

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 14 7:50 PM
            On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Rich<wielgosz@...> wrote:

            >  If the background noise in the room is X dB quieter than what you're
            > recording (you're voice for example) it doesn't matter how much gain you
            > use (without distorting), that difference will remain the same.  In fact
            > you're better off recording with more gain because then you're farther
            > away from the noise floor of the device, itself.

            Agreed -- but with a stronger warning that you'd better make sure
            you're not clipping. (I have an hour-long file I made with my iRiver
            and a Giant Squid mic near the front of a Daikaiju concert. The
            iRiver was set at the recording levels I used for interviews earlier
            that day. *Occasionally* the nails-on-chalkboard distortion subsides
            enough that you can catch a couple notes of music. But mostly it's
            just torture.)

            Between the high and low extremes, though, environment and mic
            technique matters a whole lot more for live recording than the exact
            recording level. As long as there's always sufficient difference
            between signal and noise, you can fix most things in software.

            http://www.escapepod.org
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 14 8:14 PM
              On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 1:22 AM,
              joshuamcnichols<joshuamcnichols@...> wrote:
              > I love my Zoom H4.  The Pre-amps are terrible, so the levels are low, as I understand is typical with all flash recorders in this price range.  I understand the new H4n has better pre-amps.  As for the XLR jacks, they're great, at least if you use a condenser mic with its own battery (I had to reject a Shure SM58 cardoid mic because the levels were terrible - my Audio Technica shotgun mic does much better).

              I respectfully disagree that the H4 does poorly with Shure dynamics.
              I've had good luck using mine with my Shure SM57, so long as the gain
              is set to medium or high.

              The most exotic thing I ever did with my H4's XLR jacks was an outdoor
              group recording from my hot tub for my girlfriend's podcast. I had my
              AKG condenser mic set up on a boom stand a few feet away to capture
              the whole group and ambient sound, and then we passed around the SM57.
              (On the principle that if we dropped the dynamic mic in the water,
              nobody got fried.) >8->

              End result:
              http://polyweekly.com/archives/25
              http://media.libsyn.com/media/polyweekly/PWBonus_HotTubCast.mp3

              It took a little finessing to balance the levels from both channels,
              but I think the final product came out sounding pretty good. (From a
              technical perspective at least. I will confess that the content
              itself is pretty cheesy; but so what? Cunning Minx. Naked. I regret
              nothing.) >8->

              http://www.escapepod.org
            • Paul Puri
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 14 8:31 PM
                On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                > I will confess that the content
                > itself is pretty cheesy; but so what? Cunning Minx. Naked. I regret
                > nothing.) >8->

                Stephen naked!?!?

                MY EYES!!!!!!

                --
                Paul Puri

                Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/paul.puri

                Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

                Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

              • Martin McKeay
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 14 9:04 PM
                  What's your problem, Paul?

                  You've seen it all before, some of us even have the pictures to prove it.
                  Safely stored on a lead covered USB stick for everyone's safety.

                  Martin

                  Martin McKeay
                  CISSP, GSNA, QSA
                  Network Security Blog and Podcast
                  http://www.mckeay.net
                  http://netsecpodcast.com
                  Twitter: @McKeay
                  Cell: 707-495-7926

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 14 9:12 PM
                    On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:

                    > What's your problem, Paul?
                    >
                    > You've seen it all before, some of us even have the pictures to prove it.
                    > Safely stored on a lead covered USB stick for everyone's safety.
                    >
                    > Martin

                    ----- BEGIN AUTO RESPONSE ----
                    The owner of this email account
                    cannot respond. He/she is at the moment,
                    under a desk in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably,
                    due to the mental images pictured after a previous post.

                    We apologize for this, and are sure he/she will return
                    after some deep psychological therapy.
                    ----- END AUTO RESPONSE ----

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 14 9:34 PM
                      On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Paul Puri<paulpuri@...> wrote:
                      > The owner of this email account
                      > cannot respond. He/she is at the moment,
                      > under a desk in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably,
                      > due to the mental images pictured after a previous post.

                      I have a great deal of respect for this, Paul. Not many men are open
                      enough to have (or admit) such a strong and sensitive reaction to
                      aesthetic perfection. Particularly in another man.

                      (Me, I was thinking about *Minx* naked. But maybe I'm just weird that
                      way. Far be it for me to object if that's not as interesting to you.)

                      http://www.escapepod.org
                    • Matthew Wayne Selznick
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 14 9:58 PM
                        On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Stephen Eley<SFEley@...> wrote:
                        > I respectfully disagree that the H4 does poorly with Shure dynamics.
                        > I've had good luck using mine with my Shure SM57, so long as the gain
                        > is set to medium or high.

                        Agreed! I've only recently begun playing with the H4, but I recorded
                        an entire audio book for a client using my trusty SM58 through the H4
                        and it worked great. Ya gotta have that gain up, as Steve says.

                        --
                        Matthew Wayne Selznick
                        Author and DIY New Media Creator

                        "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era,"
                        plus commentary, short stories, music and more:
                        http://www.mattselznick.com
                      • Paul Puri
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 14 10:02 PM
                          On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                          > I have a great deal of respect for this, Paul. Not many men are open
                          > enough to have (or admit) such a strong and sensitive reaction to
                          > aesthetic perfection. Particularly in another man.
                          >
                          > (Me, I was thinking about *Minx* naked. But maybe I'm just weird that
                          > way. Far be it for me to object if that's not as interesting to you.)

                          You got me there Stephen.

                          I'm a closet Eley-sexual. Alas, there is no fruit more sweet than the
                          forbidden.

                          ;>)
                          --
                          Paul Puri

                          Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/paul.puri

                          Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

                          Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                          Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

                        • Calvin Powers
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 15 5:09 AM
                            Thanks all for the thoughts on the H4. I ordered and H4n and am eagerly
                            waiting on its arrival. The discussion about gain and haivng suficient
                            difference between sound level and ambient room sound was very informative.
                            I have had similar problems with my Heil PR-40 going into my Alesys mixing
                            board. The levels are generaly too low and I either have to speak louder
                            than is comfrtable into the microphone or turn the gains up so high on the
                            mixer that there's bad ambient room noise. (The room is a huge "bonus room"
                            in my house with high ceilings and lots of flat echoy walls. ) Usually if I
                            fiddle with the gains I can get it just about where I want it and then do a
                            bit of compression and amplification in software. The problem is that in the
                            long run, I'd like to be able to do a more or less "live to tape" podcast.
                            So I still have lots of learning to do. Which brings me to my next
                            question.....

                            I have been watching all my local community college course catalogs for a
                            sound engineering course that I could take but have not seen any. Is anyone
                            aware of any online training for sound engineers? And failing that, gasp, I
                            might even be willing to read a book on the subject if anyone could
                            recommend a good one.

                            Thanks,
                            Calvin Powers