Multiple Cam Problems On New Laptop

  • Pat Cook
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2009
      I just purchased a new laptop PC (A Sony Vaio CR Series Notebook) with Windows Vista Home Premium (Yeah....Yeah I know this is shortly before the rollout of Windows 7 Final Release, but I'm waiting for the critici....Err....Comments on it to come rolling in before making the upgrade ESPECIALLY since I just got it on a lease-to-own arrangement) & am experiencing HUGE problems with it when it comes to webcams.

      1). The built-in webcam doesn't seem to work EVEN THOUGH Device Manager says the driver is working fine (NONE of the applications I have detect or capture any video)

      2). The microphone for my Logitech Communicate STX isn't even detected & the Logitech software doesn't even detect the camera AT ALL. Yet BOTH Adobe Flash Media Encoder & Windows Media Encoder both detect the video driver (They don't detect the microphone either). Doing a repair on my Logitech set up doesn't do anything to fix the problem.

      The two things going for me (If you count them as being good things that is) right now are.....

      1). The RealTek High-Definition microphone works fine **BUT** only with Windows Media Encoder. For some odd reason, it won't work with Adobe Flash Media Encoder (The audio is muted).

      2). The Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000 has worked just fine for me. Has been since I first put the drivers & basic software on it. The problem with it though is EVEN WITH a 1.8 Ghz CPU & 3GB of RAM, it STILL takes FOREVER for it to go from that green picture to a normal picture (Whether I'm capturing video or sitting idle). It's also MUCH more grainier than the Logitech (Which is the best webcam I have).

      So given all this, I have but 3 questions to ask.....

      1). Any ideas as to what might be wrong the built in webcam (Which is also fron Sony) & how I might be able to fix it?

      2). Any ideas to how I might be able to get Windows Vista to detect the Logitech mic or am I stuck with RealTek one (Which ain't bad BTW)

      3). Any ideas as to what might be done to the Microsoft LifeCam (I'm assuming via the software) whereas it doesn't "go green" just as it's activated by a capture device?

      Right now, I'm open to suggestions.....

      Cheers :)

      Pat Cook
      patsblogs@...
      Denver, CO
      BLOGS & PODCASTS
      AS MY WORLD TURNS - http://asmyworldturns.webs.com/
      AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.webs.com/
      KB0OXD CYBERSHACK | HAM MUSINGS - http://kb0oxd.blogspot.com/
      KB0OXD CYBERSHACK | SITE & STATION NEWS - http://kb0oxdcybershacknews.blogspot.com/
      THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE - http://www.geocities.com/theleftwingconservative/
      **COMING NOVEMBER 21 - Pat's OTR Podcast - http://backtothefutureradio.blogspot.com/ **AND** THE RETURN OF
      Back To The Future TV | THE COMMERCIALS (BOTH the iPod & Flash Versions)
      **COMING SOON - Back To The Future TV | THE SHOWS (In iPod & Flash)

    • Rich
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 18, 2009
        On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 20:17 -0600, Pat Cook wrote:

        This isn't a wise-guy answer, but why not take it back? It isn't
        working and it's new.

      • spuhn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 18, 2009
          I've had similar problems with my built in cam but i have an HP. Do you have Google Video plugin installed on your machine? Found out that caused a world of problems with Home Premium. What I usually have to do is start the webcam software, go into my google settings to pick generic cam and then my HP cam starts working. its a pain but i use Google video chat a bit

          cheers
          -spoon

          Should I Drink That? beercast
          http://www.shouldidrinkthat.com
          "Even if it's crap, we drink it so you don't have to!"

          2007 & 2008 Podcast Award finalist - Food & Drink
          As seen in 08 July/August DRAFT Magazine and G4/TechTV

          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Pat Cook <patsblogs@...> wrote:

          > I just purchased a new laptop PC (A Sony Vaio CR Series Notebook) with Windows Vista Home Premium (Yeah....Yeah I know this is shortly before the rollout of Windows 7 Final Release, but I'm waiting for the critici....Err....Comments on it to come rolling in before making the upgrade ESPECIALLY since I just got it on a lease-to-own arrangement) & am experiencing HUGE problems with it when it comes to webcams.
          >
          > 1). The built-in webcam doesn't seem to work EVEN THOUGH Device Manager says the driver is working fine (NONE of the applications I have detect or capture any video)
          >
          > 2). The microphone for my Logitech Communicate STX isn't even detected & the Logitech software doesn't even detect the camera AT ALL. Yet BOTH Adobe Flash Media Encoder & Windows Media Encoder both detect the video driver (They don't detect the microphone either). Doing a repair on my Logitech set up doesn't do anything to fix the problem.
          >
          > The two things going for me (If you count them as being good things that is) right now are.....
          >
          > 1). The RealTek High-Definition microphone works fine **BUT** only with Windows Media Encoder. For some odd reason, it won't work with Adobe Flash Media Encoder (The audio is muted).
          >
          > 2). The Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000 has worked just fine for me. Has been since I first put the drivers & basic software on it. The problem with it though is EVEN WITH a 1.8 Ghz CPU & 3GB of RAM, it STILL takes FOREVER for it to go from that green picture to a normal picture (Whether I'm capturing video or sitting idle). It's also MUCH more grainier than the Logitech (Which is the best webcam I have).
          >
          > So given all this, I have but 3 questions to ask.....
          >
          > 1). Any ideas as to what might be wrong the built in webcam (Which is also fron Sony) & how I might be able to fix it?
          >
          > 2). Any ideas to how I might be able to get Windows Vista to detect the Logitech mic or am I stuck with RealTek one (Which ain't bad BTW)
          >
          > 3). Any ideas as to what might be done to the Microsoft LifeCam (I'm assuming via the software) whereas it doesn't "go green" just as it's activated by a capture device?
          >
          > Right now, I'm open to suggestions.....
          >
          > Cheers :)
        • Pat Cook
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 18, 2009
            Uhh Rich....THE ONLY thing that isn't working properly is THE WEBCAM. With webcams being a dime a dozen (Many of them with HD capabilities), it's HARDLY worth taking the thing back over. Not when I can just as easily spend $50 and get one that's likely EVEN BETTER (Not to mention one I can put just about anywhere WITHOUT having to move THE WHOLE COMPUTER).

            Besides, because it's on a lease-to-own deal, I gotta keep it for 3 months before taking it back anyway.

            And yes, it WAS a wiseguy answer (Which received an equally wiseguy reply in the form of this message :D ).

            To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
            From: wielgosz@...
            Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:21:43 -0400
            Subject: Re: [podcasters] Multiple Cam Problems On New Laptop

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 18, 2009
              Right now, THE ONLY way I can get online with the laptop is via public WiFi spots such as libraries, many private hospitals & so forth which are unsecured. My ultimate goal is to set up MY OWN secured WiFi network once I get a router as my desktop has the modem drivers & Comcast won't give me a replacement unless I increase my speed in my area from about 6 Mbps. to 20 Mbps (Which they won't even provide for another month or two anyway) at a price difference of roughly $50.

              But to answer your question - No Google Video plugin (I haven't even been on YouTube with my laptop yet, though I hear the HD videos look sleek on a laptop monitor ;) ).

              To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
              From: fatherspoon@...
              Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 02:35:31 +0000
              Subject: [podcasters] Re: Multiple Cam Problems On New Laptop