Cheap Storage - too good to be true?

  • joshuamcnichols
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
      Is this too good to be true? Here's my analysis of Amazon's S3 web
      hosting service. My limited series of podcasts on Composting will be
      about 200 MB. To upload our files, it would cost $0.10 dollars per GB
      x .2 GB (size of entire series) = $0.02 to upload. To store our files,
      it would cost $0.15 per GB x .2 GB = $0.03 per month Each time someone
      downloads the entire series, it would cost $0.17 per GB x .2 GB = $0.03.
      What could possibly go wrong? I suppose if my podcast went viral, I'd
      lose lots of money, but c'mon, it's a regional podcast about composting!
      If that goes viral I'll eat my hat. I figure the non-profit for whom
      I'm producing this podcast (as a volunteer) will get a bill of less than
      a dollar a month from Amazon S3. My webbie will create an RSS feed
      page from the Amazon S3 page. In contrast, Libsyn will cost us $12 a
      month if we want statistics, and we're paying for loads of storage we
      don't need. Amazon S3 will have to at least give us download stats,
      since that's how they figure the bill!
      * Does anyone foresee any problems with this?
      * Can my calculations possibly be correct? Or are there hidden
      costs?

      Thanks for all your help. This group rocks.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2009
        On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:34 PM, joshuamcnichols
        <joshuamcnichols@...> wrote:
        > Is this too good to be true?   Here's my analysis of Amazon's S3 web
        > hosting service.
        > [ . . . ]
        >    * Does anyone foresee any problems with this?
        >    * Can my calculations possibly be correct?  Or are there hidden
        > costs?

        No hidden costs. I use S3 for all sorts of things (just not podcast
        distribution), and their costs are exactly what they say they are. No
        base charges, no minimums, no surprises.

        Your calculations sound correct. *If* you don't expect to get a lot
        of downloads, S3 definitely is cheaper than Libsyn. No question
        there. It's when you start getting audiences of 1,000+ for every
        episode that the scales tip in the other direction. And once they
        tip, they can tip pretty drastically. "Unlimited upside potential" is
        the phrase; it's the one that strikes terror into the heart of anyone
        who shorts the stock market.

        But if that isn't your situation -- if you're fairly certain that
        won't happen to you -- then hey, rock on with S3.

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Calvin Powers
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2009
          I did an analysis of Amazon S3 vs
          libsyn<http://cspowers.livejournal.com/367851.html>a while back. You
          might find that useful.

          I basically concluded that libsyn was the better deal. But in the end, I
          went with an unlimited hosting account with godaddy. I just upload my MP3
          files to them and use feedburner to manage the feed.

          Calvin