Re: what to ask for from web staff when starting a podcast

  • joshuamcnichols
    Message 1 of 10 , May 20, 2009
      Hmm. Good point. I was considering using the RSS feed so that I could publish them in spurts, but maybe it's not worth building all the podcast architecture just to accommodate that whim.

      Joshua

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:

      > At this point I wonder why you need the podcast format. RSS
      > syndication is really intended for content that's going to be updated
      > periodically. If there's only ten episodes, why not just make them
      > available for download, and leave it at that?
      >
      > On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:08 AM, joshuamcnichols
      > <joshuamcnichols@...> wrote:
      > > Thanks Matthew.
      > >
      > > I don't think the bandwidth will be a problem for them since this is a teeny-weeny podcast and they're a big public utility.
      > >
      > > My podcast is also unique in that it will be a limited number of episodes, about 10.  After that, it won't change.  It will be like a correspondence course for people who want to learn about composting.
      > >
      > > But I assume I still need the standard setup so that later I can figure out how to point itunes at it. Hopefully itunes won't mind if it isn't be refreshed regularly?
      > >
      > > Thanks again,
      > >
      > > Joshua
      > >

      > >> Your terminology is a little off -- WordPress is a blogging platform /
      > >> content management system that automatically produces RSS feeds of its
      > >> content.  If that content has a media file included (an audio file,
      > >> for example) then you've got yourself a podcast.
      > >>
      > >> Ask them to provide you with a Wordpress installation and access to
      > >> it, and you'll have just about everything you need.  Of course they'll
      > >> also have to be prepared to provide you with the bandwidth a podcast
      > >> consumes.
      > >>
      > >> --
      > >> Matthew Wayne Selznick

      > Weekly erotica served up on your ipod or mp3 player -- subscribe to
      > Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
      > -----
      > "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
      > in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662

    • Nobilis Reed
      Message 2 of 10 , May 20, 2009
        Believe it or not (gasp!) podcasting isn't for everyone. :)

        On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 7:46 PM, joshuamcnichols
        <joshuamcnichols@...> wrote:
        > Hmm.  Good point.  I was considering using the RSS feed so that I could publish them in spurts, but maybe it's not worth building all the podcast architecture just to accommodate that whim.
        >
        > Joshua
        >
        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Nobilis Reed <authornobilis@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> At this point I wonder why you need the podcast format.  RSS
        >> syndication is really intended for content that's going to be updated
        >> periodically.  If there's only ten episodes, why not just make them
        >> available for download, and leave it at that?

        -----
        "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
        in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662
      • Evo Terra
        Message 3 of 10 , May 20, 2009
          On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM, joshuamcnichols
          <joshuamcnichols@...> wrote:
          > Hmm. Good point. I was considering using the RSS feed so that I could
          > publish them in spurts, but maybe it's not worth building all the podcast
          > architecture just to accommodate that whim.

          That's a valid reason for creating a podcast, Joshua. Even better --
          consider if they files are better listened to over time.

          While most podcasts have no definite end-point, many do. I can think
          of about 316 off the top of my head: http://podiobooks.com

          E.
        • Patrick McNamara
          Message 4 of 10 , May 21, 2009
            > My podcast is also unique in that it will be a limited number of episodes, about 10.
            >After that, it won't change.
            >It will be like a correspondence course for people who want to learn about composting.

            There's no point in going through the work of setting up as a podcast when it's really only a few files. All you'll need is some place to store the MP3 files and a webpage to provide links to those files. I'm assuming that the company already has a web server, so they can be stored there. Talk to the webmaster or whoever it is who handles the company's web page.

            It bugs me when a company will come out with what it calls a podcast when it really isn't anything more than just a few audio files. It's nothing one would want to subscribe to. It's like using a mop when you need a broom. And it only serves to damage people's understanding of podcasts.

            Patrick McNamara
            E-mail: patjmcnamara@...
            My Toy Store: http://patrickjmcnamara.webs.com
            Webpage: http://www.geocities.com/writerpatrick
            Blue Hot Gossip comedy: http://bluehotgossip.blogspot.com
            Podcast Ping: http://podcastping.blogspot.com
            Torrentcast: http://www.mininova.org/rss.xml?user=PodcastPing

          • Jennifer Sutton
            Message 5 of 10 , May 21, 2009
              Hello:

              Unless it's two or three files, I'd find it arduous either to sit at
              my computer and listen or to download upwards of ten files manually.

              Given the range of responses you've received, perhaps the ideal
              approach would be to give your listeners choice i.e. provide an RSS
              feed of the content, provide a pop-up player, and provide readily
              identifiable download links.

              It bugs me when I am expected to tie myself to my computer for a long
              time to stream media.

              If I care about composting, maybe I want to listen on my portable
              media device while I'm working in my yard.

              In the end, it's all about what your particular audiences will prefer.

              Good luck.

              At 08:25 AM 5/21/2009 -0400, you wrote:

              > > My podcast is also unique in that it will be a limited number of
              > episodes, about 10.
              > >After that, it won't change.
              > >It will be like a correspondence course for people who want to
              > learn about composting.
              > >

              >There's no point in going through the work of setting up as a
              >podcast when it's really only a few files. All you'll need is some
              >place to store the MP3 files and a webpage to provide links to those
              >files. I'm assuming that the company already has a web server, so
              >they can be stored there. Talk to the webmaster or whoever it is who
              >handles the company's web page.
              >
              >It bugs me when a company will come out with what it calls a podcast
              >when it really isn't anything more than just a few audio files. It's
              >nothing one would want to subscribe to. It's like using a mop when
              >you need a broom. And it only serves to damage people's
              >understanding of podcasts.
              >
              >Patrick McNamara
              >E-mail: <mailto:patjmcnamara%40gmail.com>patjmcnamara@...
              >My Toy Store:
              ><http://patrickjmcnamara.webs.com>http://patrickjmcnamara.webs.com
              >Webpage:
              ><http://www.geocities.com/writerpatrick>http://www.geocities.com/writerpatrick
              >Blue Hot Gossip comedy:
              ><http://bluehotgossip.blogspot.com>http://bluehotgossip.blogspot.com
              >Podcast Ping: <http://podcastping.blogspot.com>http://podcastping.blogspot.com
              >Torrentcast:
              ><http://www.mininova.org/rss.xml?user=PodcastPing>http://www.mininova.org/rss.xml?user=PodcastPing

            • kscolligan
              Message 6 of 10 , May 21, 2009
                I agree with Jennifer, best to offer your audience a choice.

                Some people will want the podcast option just for an easy way to get the tracks onto their iPod. (I know it's easy to download and double-click, too, but does everyone know?)

                And it's pretty easy to doctor up an iTunes valid RSS feed -- especially if you're not updating your podcast for the long haul,.