Future PodioBooks Author looking for Site+Domain

  • Mike Sharpe
    Message 1 of 6 , May 17, 2009
      Hi All,

      I'm am working on a book in for Podiobooks. I'd like to have a site ready for Late July.

      I'm not aiming to be running the podcast off it, but I may offer some downloads on the site. I am intended to offer the Free eBook. (I will be offering it a format that will work with the Kindle.)

      I am looking recommendations for the following:

      Domain name: My name Michael Andrew Sharpe. My Book could be Under Michael Sharpe. I can play with the Initals.

      Buying Domain name?

      Hosting?

      Site stuff?

      Anything Else?

      Thanks for your time?

      Mike Sharpe
    • Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Message 2 of 6 , May 17, 2009
        On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Mike Sharpe <windytwit@...> wrote:
        > I'm not aiming to be running the podcast off it, but I may offer some
        > downloads on the site. I am intended to offer the Free eBook. (I will be
        > offering it a format that will work with the Kindle.)
        >
        > I am looking recommendations for the following:

        Normally I don't pimp my professional offerings here, but others do,
        and I can use the work, so...

        I offer very inexpensive web hosting for independent / small press
        authors and other creativity-driven endeavors:
        http://www.mattselznick.com/services/web-hosting/

        If you sign up at the yearly rate, you also get my services at 75% off
        my normal hourly rate.

        > Buying Domain name?
        > Hosting?
        > Site stuff?
        > Anything Else?

        I can handle all of the above, and of course I'm an author and a
        podcaster (and a podiobook author) so I know where you're coming from.
        Feel free to contact me directly.

        Everyone else... thanks for indulging me!

        --
        Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Author and DIY New Media Creator

        "Brave Men Run -- A Novel of the Sovereign Era,"
        plus commentary, short stories, music and more:
        http://www.mattselznick.com
      • Shawn Thorpe
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2009
          I've been using DreamHost to host all of my websites, including
          several podcasts. No problems so far. I prefer to use WordPress to
          build the actual sites, but there are many other content-management
          systems out there, too.

          -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
          http://shawnogram.com/ - multimedia blog
          http://hypernonsense.com/ - comedy/talk podcast
          http://booksandwich.com/ - book reviews and more
          http://haikuoffrustration.com/ - submit your own!

          On May 17, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Mike Sharpe wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I'm am working on a book in for Podiobooks. I'd like to have a site
          > ready for Late July.
          >
          > I'm not aiming to be running the podcast off it, but I may offer
          > some downloads on the site. I am intended to offer the Free eBook.
          > (I will be offering it a format that will work with the Kindle.)
          >
          > I am looking recommendations for the following:
          >
          > Domain name: My name Michael Andrew Sharpe. My Book could be Under
          > Michael Sharpe. I can play with the Initals.
          >
          > Buying Domain name?
          >
          > Hosting?
          >
          > Site stuff?
          >
          > Anything Else?
          >
          > Thanks for your time?
          >
          > Mike Sharpe

        • Dan Hughes
          Message 4 of 6 , May 17, 2009
            >Domain name: My name Michael Andrew Sharpe. My Book could be Under
            Michael Sharpe. I can play with the Initals.
            Buying Domain name?
            Hosting?
            Site stuff?
            Anything Else?
            Thanks for your time?
            Mike Sharpe

            ----------------------------
            Mike, I'm not sure what you're asking. If you want suggestions, I'd say
            the best domain name for you is michaelsharpe.com, but that is already
            taken. So is michaelsharpe.net. Sorry!

            Domains that end in .com and .net are most popular.

            But if that's not too important to you, both michaelsharpe.biz and
            michaelsharpe.info are still available.

            michaelandrewsharpe.com is already taken, but michaelandrewsharpe.net is
            available.

            Or you could do something like michaelsharpebooks.com or
            michaelsharpewrites.com - both are available.

            And you can buy more than one of those, and have them all go to the same
            site.

            The best place to buy domain names is http://1plus1.com. A .biz name
            from them is just $3.99 for the first year, and an .info name is just 99
            cents the first year. (.com names are $6.99 the first year). They all
            go up to $8.99 the second year and thereafter. I have several domain
            names with them, and I am quite happy.

            An excellent host is 3essentials.com, and I don't think you'll beat the
            Personal plan here:
            http://www.3essentials.com/windows-web-hosting.asp?cifmh=1931813

            If you pay for two years up front - $36 total - your cost is just $1.50 a
            month for 1000 mb (one full gig) of webspace, 15 different email
            accounts. I have one of these accounts, and I have several websites
            hosted there: http://creativitiycoachingsite.com,
            http://treasuremanual.com, http://slowpitchbook.com, http://room200.com,
            and several others. I've had this account for over a year, and if there
            has been any downtime I haven't noticed it.

            Hope this is kinda what you're wanting; feel free to buzz me for more....

            Best,

            ---Dan Hughes, http://danhughes.net

          • Dan Hughes
            Message 5 of 6 , May 17, 2009
              My face is red; I put commas after the site names, so they wouldn't work.
              Trying again:

              http://creativitycoachingsite.com
              http://treasuremanual.com
              http://slowpitchbook.com
              http://room200.com

              Okay. That should do it.

              ---Dan
            • Mike Sharpe
              Message 6 of 6 , May 17, 2009
                --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                > >Domain name: My name Michael Andrew Sharpe. My Book could be Under
                > Michael Sharpe. I can play with the Initals.
                > Buying Domain name?
                > Hosting?
                > Site stuff?
                > Anything Else?
                > Thanks for your time?
                > Mike Sharpe
                >
                > ----------------------------
                > Mike, I'm not sure what you're asking. If you want suggestions, I'd say
                > the best domain name for you is michaelsharpe.com, but that is already
                > taken. So is michaelsharpe.net. Sorry!
                >
                > Domains that end in .com and .net are most popular.

                Just about every country can use .com and .net as I've come across UK only companies with .com site. I know that one Company who's based in my home town has a .com. .com would have been Ideal, .net is very nice. Several others are fine, but only .com are really hard to get.

                > But if that's not too important to you, both michaelsharpe.biz and
                > michaelsharpe.info are still available.
                >
                > michaelandrewsharpe.com is already taken, but michaelandrewsharpe.net is
                > available.
                >
                > Or you could do something like michaelsharpebooks.com or
                > michaelsharpewrites.com - both are available.

                I forgot to mention that I live in the UK. So I can get a .co.uk domain, but I am limited to the site that allow me to buy it.

                I am happy going for MikeSharpe or MASharpe, MSharpe. Basicly any decently that fit the Author name.

                The first book on the site is a Non-Fic, and is based what I did. So I clearly will be giving my name out for this book. I currently in the editing stage, and the full text is available on the PodioBook Community Site. I'm planning to release the text of the first under a CC license.

                > And you can buy more than one of those, and have them all go to the same
                > site.
                >
                > The best place to buy domain names is http://1plus1.com. A .biz name
                > from them is just $3.99 for the first year, and an .info name is just 99
                > cents the first year. (.com names are $6.99 the first year). They all
                > go up to $8.99 the second year and thereafter. I have several domain
                > names with them, and I am quite happy.

                Sound ok, Since My bank account has little support on US Sites, and in most cases I can only buy with Pay-Pal.

                > An excellent host is 3essentials.com, and I don't think you'll beat the
                > Personal plan here:
                > http://www.3essentials.com/windows-web-hosting.asp?cifmh=1931813
                >
                > If you pay for two years up front - $36 total - your cost is just $1.50 a
                > month for 1000 mb (one full gig) of webspace, 15 different email
                > accounts. I have one of these accounts, and I have several websites
                > hosted there: http://creativitiycoachingsite.com,
                > http://treasuremanual.com, http://slowpitchbook.com, http://room200.com,
                > and several others. I've had this account for over a year, and if there
                > has been any downtime I haven't noticed it.

                Sadly 3Essentials can't support my Payment methods.

                > Hope this is kinda what you're wanting; feel free to buzz me for more....

                This does help. The problem is that I've got too much choice and not much money, or experience.

                Basicly, I'd don't want to be caught with a site I can barely maintain, and costing me lots of money. And Even worse one that looks like he did in a week from MSWord HTML output.. such as http://bignutter.nebagram.co.uk/ (It's actually Mozilla's Webpage editor, pre-Firefox.) (That is my old site, but I was very hands off. Actually, The Audio Book is actually a rewrite of the site!)

                > Best,
                >
                > ---Dan Hughes, http://danhughes.net

                This time I'm seriously leaning to a "Blog" as a basis for the site.

                Yours Mike