Re: Libsyn price increase (was Re: [podcasters] Libsyn)

  • Martin McKeay
    Message 1 of 15 , May 12, 2009
      I voted in favor of Libsyn in the only way that really matters, I updated my
      billing information and paid for the increase. I've been with Libsyn for
      over 3 years now and while I've had a number of minor issues, I have always
      felt they were undercharging for their services. Not that I was offering to
      pay more, but I'm also not going to complain that they've upped the price.

      My podcast gets approximately 2700 downloads per episode and about 14,000
      downloads a month. I figure that puts me past the break even point of
      moving to most of the cloud computing offerings out there. If Libsyn starts
      getting stupid and doubles the price of their service or something, then I
      might have to do the math again, but for now, I'll stick with them.

      My $.02

      Martin

      Martin McKeay
      CISSP, GSNA, QSA
      Network Security Blog and Podcast
      http://www.mckeay.net
      http://netsecpodcast.com
      Twitter: @McKeay
      Cell: 707-495-7926

      On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:

      > > Sure, there's still a $5/month level, but you get less for your money. I
      > suspect the lack of stats would drive away even starting podcasters with any
      > ambition for growth.
      >
      > Fortunately, those who are current customers at the $5 level will continue
      > to get stats. My One Minute How-To podcast is short (under five minutes)
      > and twice a week, so I come nowhere close to the low end limit - if I had to
      > move to the next level then that would really be a waste.
      >
      > With that podcast passing the three year mark and Eclectic Mix close to its
      > fourth anniversary, I am glad that I am able to stay with Libsyn, as I have
      > had very few complaints over the years.
      >
      > Cheers -
      >
      > george
      >
      > -------------------------------------
      > Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
      > One Minute How-To: http://OneMinuteHowTo.com
      > Sounds Of Ambience: http://SoundsOfAmbience.com

    • Will Brown
      Message 2 of 15 , May 13, 2009
        Here's the text of the email that was sent out for those interested:

        ************'
        Dear Libsyn Users-

        This email is the official notice that the monthly service charge for
        your libsyn podcasting account will be increasing. You will be
        required to update your account information the next time you login to
        libsyn.com. If you do not update your account information by
        5/22/2009, your account may be placed on hold. In order to avoid any
        disruption of service, we advise that you login to libsyn.com as soon
        as possible and take the steps necessary to update your billing
        account information. In addition to PayPal, we now also accept Visa,
        MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards.

        New rates are in effect now for new users signing up. As part of this
        accounting process change, we are also shifting all invoice dates to
        the 1st of the month. That means on June 1st, all users will be billed
        for June service plus the pro-rated difference between the normal May
        payment date and the first of the month. So whether you just made a
        payment or your payment would normally be made later in the month, you
        won't be getting charged until 6/1/2009.

        Charges made on 6/1/2009:

        Service Plan Old Rate New Rate
        libsyn 100MB (legacy users only) $ 5.00 $ 6.00
        libsyn 250MB $ 10.00 $ 12.00
        libsyn 525MB $ 20.00 $ 24.00
        libsyn 800MB $ 30.00 $ 36.00
        libsyn 1500MB $ 50.00 $ 60.00

        The new pricing is necessary to support the health and growth of our
        network. This is our first price increase since we launched the libsyn
        service in 2004, but we remain committed to our original goal: To
        offer an advanced publishing service to independent podcasters with an
        affordable fixed monthly fee based on storage, not transfer. Your
        success is our success. We never forget that without the support of
        our customers these past four and half years Libsyn could not have
        achieved all that we have done. We are proud to be a part of this
        industry and we hope to prove our loyalty to you with upcoming
        developments in the near future.

        We appreciate your continued support and as always look forward to
        your feedback on how we are doing.

        Sincerely,
        The libsyn squad

        *********************

        ======================
        http://www.WillBrownOnline.com/ - All Things Me
        http://www.CloudyDayArt.com - Poetry Podcast
      • Cian Mac Mahon
        Message 3 of 15 , May 13, 2009
          In my opinion, the added $2 for the stats really isn't an issue. There
          are much better, and free, stats services out there.

          That said, I'm going to go ahead and renew for the slightly higher
          price point on my 250mb account. As people have said before me, they
          rock, and continue to do so. A few days back, when my feed got jumbled
          by a server switch (something to do with Switchpod, I'm told) I sent a
          support email. Within 10 minutes I had a reply, and within 25 minutes
          my feed was all back the way it should have been. Now THAT'S service!
          Cian Mac Mahon
          Professional Podcaster
          Available for voice work, consulting

          www.ViewFromTheQuad.com