Re: Libsyn price increase (was Re: [podcasters] Libsyn)

  • George L Smyth
    Message 1 of 15 , May 12, 2009
      > Sure, there's still a $5/month level, but you get less for your money. I suspect the lack of stats would drive away even starting podcasters with any ambition for growth.

      Fortunately, those who are current customers at the $5 level will continue to get stats. My One Minute How-To podcast is short (under five minutes) and twice a week, so I come nowhere close to the low end limit - if I had to move to the next level then that would really be a waste.

      With that podcast passing the three year mark and Eclectic Mix close to its fourth anniversary, I am glad that I am able to stay with Libsyn, as I have had very few complaints over the years.

      Cheers -

      george

      -------------------------------------
      Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
      Sounds Of Ambience: http://SoundsOfAmbience.com
    • Martin McKeay
      Message 2 of 15 , May 12, 2009
        I voted in favor of Libsyn in the only way that really matters, I updated my
        billing information and paid for the increase. I've been with Libsyn for
        over 3 years now and while I've had a number of minor issues, I have always
        felt they were undercharging for their services. Not that I was offering to
        pay more, but I'm also not going to complain that they've upped the price.

        My podcast gets approximately 2700 downloads per episode and about 14,000
        downloads a month. I figure that puts me past the break even point of
        moving to most of the cloud computing offerings out there. If Libsyn starts
        getting stupid and doubles the price of their service or something, then I
        might have to do the math again, but for now, I'll stick with them.

        My $.02

        Martin

        Martin McKeay
        CISSP, GSNA, QSA
        Network Security Blog and Podcast
        http://www.mckeay.net
        http://netsecpodcast.com
        Twitter: @McKeay
        Cell: 707-495-7926

        On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:

        > > Sure, there's still a $5/month level, but you get less for your money. I
        > suspect the lack of stats would drive away even starting podcasters with any
        > ambition for growth.
        >
        > Fortunately, those who are current customers at the $5 level will continue
        > to get stats. My One Minute How-To podcast is short (under five minutes)
        > and twice a week, so I come nowhere close to the low end limit - if I had to
        > move to the next level then that would really be a waste.
        >
        > With that podcast passing the three year mark and Eclectic Mix close to its
        > fourth anniversary, I am glad that I am able to stay with Libsyn, as I have
        > had very few complaints over the years.
        >
        > Cheers -
        >
        > george
        >
        > -------------------------------------
        > Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
        > One Minute How-To: http://OneMinuteHowTo.com
        > Sounds Of Ambience: http://SoundsOfAmbience.com

      • Will Brown
        Message 3 of 15 , May 13, 2009
          Here's the text of the email that was sent out for those interested:

          ************'
          Dear Libsyn Users-

          This email is the official notice that the monthly service charge for
          your libsyn podcasting account will be increasing. You will be
          required to update your account information the next time you login to
          libsyn.com. If you do not update your account information by
          5/22/2009, your account may be placed on hold. In order to avoid any
          disruption of service, we advise that you login to libsyn.com as soon
          as possible and take the steps necessary to update your billing
          account information. In addition to PayPal, we now also accept Visa,
          MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards.

          New rates are in effect now for new users signing up. As part of this
          accounting process change, we are also shifting all invoice dates to
          the 1st of the month. That means on June 1st, all users will be billed
          for June service plus the pro-rated difference between the normal May
          payment date and the first of the month. So whether you just made a
          payment or your payment would normally be made later in the month, you
          won't be getting charged until 6/1/2009.

          Charges made on 6/1/2009:

          Service Plan Old Rate New Rate
          libsyn 100MB (legacy users only) $ 5.00 $ 6.00
          libsyn 250MB $ 10.00 $ 12.00
          libsyn 525MB $ 20.00 $ 24.00
          libsyn 800MB $ 30.00 $ 36.00
          libsyn 1500MB $ 50.00 $ 60.00

          The new pricing is necessary to support the health and growth of our
          network. This is our first price increase since we launched the libsyn
          service in 2004, but we remain committed to our original goal: To
          offer an advanced publishing service to independent podcasters with an
          affordable fixed monthly fee based on storage, not transfer. Your
          success is our success. We never forget that without the support of
          our customers these past four and half years Libsyn could not have
          achieved all that we have done. We are proud to be a part of this
          industry and we hope to prove our loyalty to you with upcoming
          developments in the near future.

          We appreciate your continued support and as always look forward to
          your feedback on how we are doing.

          Sincerely,
          The libsyn squad

          *********************

          ======================
          http://www.WillBrownOnline.com/ - All Things Me
          http://www.CloudyDayArt.com - Poetry Podcast
        • Cian Mac Mahon
          Message 4 of 15 , May 13, 2009
            In my opinion, the added $2 for the stats really isn't an issue. There
            are much better, and free, stats services out there.

            That said, I'm going to go ahead and renew for the slightly higher
            price point on my 250mb account. As people have said before me, they
            rock, and continue to do so. A few days back, when my feed got jumbled
            by a server switch (something to do with Switchpod, I'm told) I sent a
            support email. Within 10 minutes I had a reply, and within 25 minutes
            my feed was all back the way it should have been. Now THAT'S service!
            Cian Mac Mahon
            Professional Podcaster
            Available for voice work, consulting

            www.ViewFromTheQuad.com