Re: Libsyn price increase (was Re: [podcasters] Libsyn)

    Message 1 of 15 , May 12, 2009
      On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Ivy Reisner <ivy@...> wrote:

      > You have me worried that I've made a bad choice, but I'm only doing it
      > for fun, and I can always switch back later if I have to.

      This is true. As long as you have control over your own domain and
      feed, and as long as you keep copies of your own files, there's pretty
      much nothing that can go wrong that you couldn't recover from in a day
      or two if you had to. Where the files come from doesn't matter, as
      long as you don't hand out *.libsyn.com or *.feedburner.com or
      whatever as your primary site or feed URL.

      (I reinforced this lesson myself a couple weeks ago, when
      Google-née-Feedburner shut down my Feedburner feed and insisted my
      password was wrong when I tried to fix it. I was effectively screwed
      out of my own feeds. But since I'd done the 'domain alias' thing from
      the very beginning, and was using feeds.escapepod.org and such as my
      URL, I was able to point those back to my own Web server and bring it
      back up.)

      ((And yes, Todd Cochrane, you have total license to get smug now.)) >8-P

      Anyway, I was sincere in my "I'm glad it's working out for you." I
      actually think it would be a bad thing if *every* podcaster was on one
      host, regardless of who they are. We all have different needs and
      solve them differently, and that's good.

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • barely.podcasting
      Message 2 of 15 , May 12, 2009
        I would say that the increase was a shock, but I have been waiting for it. Per Rob Walsh (Today in iPhone and Podcast 411) who works for Wizzard, the notices were being sent out in batches. The Stats feature (from what I understand) isn't available for new sign ups in the now $6/mo plan but being grandfathered in to those of us who have it already. You can get the stats for an extra $2/mo.

        It is a good business model, and I have been happy for the most part with my podcasts on Libsyn, and have been with them for over 3 years now.Remember, they are a business, and out to make money, they provide a service to us at a reasonable price. I do agree with everyone saying that you should have two hosts though. One for the web site and one for the MP3's. It is wiser that way in my opinion.
      • George L Smyth
        Message 3 of 15 , May 12, 2009
          > Sure, there's still a $5/month level, but you get less for your money. I suspect the lack of stats would drive away even starting podcasters with any ambition for growth.

          Fortunately, those who are current customers at the $5 level will continue to get stats. My One Minute How-To podcast is short (under five minutes) and twice a week, so I come nowhere close to the low end limit - if I had to move to the next level then that would really be a waste.

          With that podcast passing the three year mark and Eclectic Mix close to its fourth anniversary, I am glad that I am able to stay with Libsyn, as I have had very few complaints over the years.

          Cheers -

          george

          -------------------------------------
          Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
          Sounds Of Ambience: http://SoundsOfAmbience.com
        • Martin McKeay
          Message 4 of 15 , May 12, 2009
            I voted in favor of Libsyn in the only way that really matters, I updated my
            billing information and paid for the increase. I've been with Libsyn for
            over 3 years now and while I've had a number of minor issues, I have always
            felt they were undercharging for their services. Not that I was offering to
            pay more, but I'm also not going to complain that they've upped the price.

            My podcast gets approximately 2700 downloads per episode and about 14,000
            downloads a month. I figure that puts me past the break even point of
            moving to most of the cloud computing offerings out there. If Libsyn starts
            getting stupid and doubles the price of their service or something, then I
            might have to do the math again, but for now, I'll stick with them.

            My $.02

            Martin

            Martin McKeay
            CISSP, GSNA, QSA
            Network Security Blog and Podcast
            http://www.mckeay.net
            http://netsecpodcast.com
            Twitter: @McKeay
            Cell: 707-495-7926

            On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:

            > > Sure, there's still a $5/month level, but you get less for your money. I
            > suspect the lack of stats would drive away even starting podcasters with any
            > ambition for growth.
            >
            > Fortunately, those who are current customers at the $5 level will continue
            > to get stats. My One Minute How-To podcast is short (under five minutes)
            > and twice a week, so I come nowhere close to the low end limit - if I had to
            > move to the next level then that would really be a waste.
            >
            > With that podcast passing the three year mark and Eclectic Mix close to its
            > fourth anniversary, I am glad that I am able to stay with Libsyn, as I have
            > had very few complaints over the years.
            >
            > Cheers -
            >
            > george
            >
            > -------------------------------------
            > Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
            > One Minute How-To: http://OneMinuteHowTo.com
            > Sounds Of Ambience: http://SoundsOfAmbience.com

          • Will Brown
            Message 5 of 15 , May 13, 2009
              Here's the text of the email that was sent out for those interested:

              ************'
              Dear Libsyn Users-

              This email is the official notice that the monthly service charge for
              your libsyn podcasting account will be increasing. You will be
              required to update your account information the next time you login to
              libsyn.com. If you do not update your account information by
              5/22/2009, your account may be placed on hold. In order to avoid any
              disruption of service, we advise that you login to libsyn.com as soon
              as possible and take the steps necessary to update your billing
              account information. In addition to PayPal, we now also accept Visa,
              MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards.

              New rates are in effect now for new users signing up. As part of this
              accounting process change, we are also shifting all invoice dates to
              the 1st of the month. That means on June 1st, all users will be billed
              for June service plus the pro-rated difference between the normal May
              payment date and the first of the month. So whether you just made a
              payment or your payment would normally be made later in the month, you
              won't be getting charged until 6/1/2009.

              Charges made on 6/1/2009:

              Service Plan Old Rate New Rate
              libsyn 100MB (legacy users only) $ 5.00 $ 6.00
              libsyn 250MB $ 10.00 $ 12.00
              libsyn 525MB $ 20.00 $ 24.00
              libsyn 800MB $ 30.00 $ 36.00
              libsyn 1500MB $ 50.00 $ 60.00

              The new pricing is necessary to support the health and growth of our
              network. This is our first price increase since we launched the libsyn
              service in 2004, but we remain committed to our original goal: To
              offer an advanced publishing service to independent podcasters with an
              affordable fixed monthly fee based on storage, not transfer. Your
              success is our success. We never forget that without the support of
              our customers these past four and half years Libsyn could not have
              achieved all that we have done. We are proud to be a part of this
              industry and we hope to prove our loyalty to you with upcoming
              developments in the near future.

              We appreciate your continued support and as always look forward to
              your feedback on how we are doing.

              Sincerely,
              The libsyn squad

              *********************

              ======================
              http://www.WillBrownOnline.com/ - All Things Me
              http://www.CloudyDayArt.com - Poetry Podcast
            • Cian Mac Mahon
              Message 6 of 15 , May 13, 2009
                In my opinion, the added $2 for the stats really isn't an issue. There
                are much better, and free, stats services out there.

                That said, I'm going to go ahead and renew for the slightly higher
                price point on my 250mb account. As people have said before me, they
                rock, and continue to do so. A few days back, when my feed got jumbled
                by a server switch (something to do with Switchpod, I'm told) I sent a
                support email. Within 10 minutes I had a reply, and within 25 minutes
                my feed was all back the way it should have been. Now THAT'S service!
                Cian Mac Mahon
                Professional Podcaster
                Available for voice work, consulting

                www.ViewFromTheQuad.com