Libsyn price increase (was Re: [podcasters] Libsyn)

  • Jesse Thorn
    Message 1 of 15 , May 11, 2009
      I'm completely with Steven on this one.

      My show is my living, and I'd hate to be relying on a web host. The $40 or so I spend on Libsyn (I have several accounts) is well worth it, and they service they provide me is very much appreciated.

      Jesse
      The Sound of Young America
    • Ivy Reisner
      Message 2 of 15 , May 12, 2009
        I don't have such a large audience. I'm only pushing through about 500
        gig a month, and that because I have a lot of large video files. But
        people just jump on randomly to grab the archive, not all at once, so
        it's not simultaneous resources.

        It's funny, once I decided to switch, libsyn decided to cancel my
        account for me, so I took it as a sign.

        You have me worried that I've made a bad choice, but I'm only doing it
        for fun, and I can always switch back later if I have to.

        Jesse Thorn wrote:
        > I'm completely with Steven on this one.
        >
        > My show is my living, and I'd hate to be relying on a web host. The $40 or so I spend on Libsyn (I have several accounts) is well worth it, and they service they provide me is very much appreciated.
        >
        > Jesse
        > The Sound of Young America

        For my project from knitting videos to a writing podcast, please visit
        www.IvyReisner.com.
        Message 3 of 15 , May 12, 2009
          On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Ivy Reisner <ivy@...> wrote:

          > You have me worried that I've made a bad choice, but I'm only doing it
          > for fun, and I can always switch back later if I have to.

          This is true. As long as you have control over your own domain and
          feed, and as long as you keep copies of your own files, there's pretty
          much nothing that can go wrong that you couldn't recover from in a day
          or two if you had to. Where the files come from doesn't matter, as
          long as you don't hand out *.libsyn.com or *.feedburner.com or
          whatever as your primary site or feed URL.

          (I reinforced this lesson myself a couple weeks ago, when
          Google-née-Feedburner shut down my Feedburner feed and insisted my
          password was wrong when I tried to fix it. I was effectively screwed
          out of my own feeds. But since I'd done the 'domain alias' thing from
          the very beginning, and was using feeds.escapepod.org and such as my
          URL, I was able to point those back to my own Web server and bring it
          back up.)

          ((And yes, Todd Cochrane, you have total license to get smug now.)) >8-P

          Anyway, I was sincere in my "I'm glad it's working out for you." I
          actually think it would be a bad thing if *every* podcaster was on one
          host, regardless of who they are. We all have different needs and
          solve them differently, and that's good.

          http://www.escapepod.org
          Message 4 of 15 , May 12, 2009
            On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Ivy Reisner <ivy@...> wrote:

            > You have me worried that I've made a bad choice, but I'm only doing it
            > for fun, and I can always switch back later if I have to.

            This is true. As long as you have control over your own domain and
            feed, and as long as you keep copies of your own files, there's pretty
            much nothing that can go wrong that you couldn't recover from in a day
            or two if you had to. Where the files come from doesn't matter, as
            long as you don't hand out *.libsyn.com or *.feedburner.com or
            whatever as your primary site or feed URL.

            (I reinforced this lesson myself a couple weeks ago, when
            Google-née-Feedburner shut down my Feedburner feed and insisted my
            password was wrong when I tried to fix it. I was effectively screwed
            out of my own feeds. But since I'd done the 'domain alias' thing from
            the very beginning, and was using feeds.escapepod.org and such as my
            URL, I was able to point those back to my own Web server and bring it
            back up.)

            ((And yes, Todd Cochrane, you have total license to get smug now.)) >8-P

            Anyway, I was sincere in my "I'm glad it's working out for you." I
            actually think it would be a bad thing if *every* podcaster was on one
            host, regardless of who they are. We all have different needs and
            solve them differently, and that's good.

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • barely.podcasting
            Message 5 of 15 , May 12, 2009
              I would say that the increase was a shock, but I have been waiting for it. Per Rob Walsh (Today in iPhone and Podcast 411) who works for Wizzard, the notices were being sent out in batches. The Stats feature (from what I understand) isn't available for new sign ups in the now $6/mo plan but being grandfathered in to those of us who have it already. You can get the stats for an extra $2/mo.

              It is a good business model, and I have been happy for the most part with my podcasts on Libsyn, and have been with them for over 3 years now.Remember, they are a business, and out to make money, they provide a service to us at a reasonable price. I do agree with everyone saying that you should have two hosts though. One for the web site and one for the MP3's. It is wiser that way in my opinion.
            • George L Smyth
              Message 6 of 15 , May 12, 2009
                > Sure, there's still a $5/month level, but you get less for your money. I suspect the lack of stats would drive away even starting podcasters with any ambition for growth.

                Fortunately, those who are current customers at the $5 level will continue to get stats. My One Minute How-To podcast is short (under five minutes) and twice a week, so I come nowhere close to the low end limit - if I had to move to the next level then that would really be a waste.

                With that podcast passing the three year mark and Eclectic Mix close to its fourth anniversary, I am glad that I am able to stay with Libsyn, as I have had very few complaints over the years.

                Cheers -

                george

                -------------------------------------
                Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                Sounds Of Ambience: http://SoundsOfAmbience.com
              • Martin McKeay
                Message 7 of 15 , May 12, 2009
                  I voted in favor of Libsyn in the only way that really matters, I updated my
                  billing information and paid for the increase. I've been with Libsyn for
                  over 3 years now and while I've had a number of minor issues, I have always
                  felt they were undercharging for their services. Not that I was offering to
                  pay more, but I'm also not going to complain that they've upped the price.

                  My podcast gets approximately 2700 downloads per episode and about 14,000
                  downloads a month. I figure that puts me past the break even point of
                  moving to most of the cloud computing offerings out there. If Libsyn starts
                  getting stupid and doubles the price of their service or something, then I
                  might have to do the math again, but for now, I'll stick with them.

                  My $.02

                  Martin

                  Martin McKeay
                  CISSP, GSNA, QSA
                  Network Security Blog and Podcast
                  http://www.mckeay.net
                  http://netsecpodcast.com
                  Twitter: @McKeay
                  Cell: 707-495-7926

                  On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:

                  > > Sure, there's still a $5/month level, but you get less for your money. I
                  > suspect the lack of stats would drive away even starting podcasters with any
                  > ambition for growth.
                  >
                  > Fortunately, those who are current customers at the $5 level will continue
                  > to get stats. My One Minute How-To podcast is short (under five minutes)
                  > and twice a week, so I come nowhere close to the low end limit - if I had to
                  > move to the next level then that would really be a waste.
                  >
                  > With that podcast passing the three year mark and Eclectic Mix close to its
                  > fourth anniversary, I am glad that I am able to stay with Libsyn, as I have
                  > had very few complaints over the years.
                  >
                  > Cheers -
                  >
                  > george
                  >
                  > -------------------------------------
                  > Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                  > One Minute How-To: http://OneMinuteHowTo.com
                  > Sounds Of Ambience: http://SoundsOfAmbience.com

                • Will Brown
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 13, 2009
                    Here's the text of the email that was sent out for those interested:

                    ************'
                    Dear Libsyn Users-

                    This email is the official notice that the monthly service charge for
                    your libsyn podcasting account will be increasing. You will be
                    required to update your account information the next time you login to
                    libsyn.com. If you do not update your account information by
                    5/22/2009, your account may be placed on hold. In order to avoid any
                    disruption of service, we advise that you login to libsyn.com as soon
                    as possible and take the steps necessary to update your billing
                    account information. In addition to PayPal, we now also accept Visa,
                    MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards.

                    New rates are in effect now for new users signing up. As part of this
                    accounting process change, we are also shifting all invoice dates to
                    the 1st of the month. That means on June 1st, all users will be billed
                    for June service plus the pro-rated difference between the normal May
                    payment date and the first of the month. So whether you just made a
                    payment or your payment would normally be made later in the month, you
                    won't be getting charged until 6/1/2009.

                    Charges made on 6/1/2009:

                    Service Plan Old Rate New Rate
                    libsyn 100MB (legacy users only) $ 5.00 $ 6.00
                    libsyn 250MB $ 10.00 $ 12.00
                    libsyn 525MB $ 20.00 $ 24.00
                    libsyn 800MB $ 30.00 $ 36.00
                    libsyn 1500MB $ 50.00 $ 60.00

                    The new pricing is necessary to support the health and growth of our
                    network. This is our first price increase since we launched the libsyn
                    service in 2004, but we remain committed to our original goal: To
                    offer an advanced publishing service to independent podcasters with an
                    affordable fixed monthly fee based on storage, not transfer. Your
                    success is our success. We never forget that without the support of
                    our customers these past four and half years Libsyn could not have
                    achieved all that we have done. We are proud to be a part of this
                    industry and we hope to prove our loyalty to you with upcoming
                    developments in the near future.

                    We appreciate your continued support and as always look forward to
                    your feedback on how we are doing.

                    Sincerely,
                    The libsyn squad

                    *********************

                    ======================
                    http://www.WillBrownOnline.com/ - All Things Me
                    http://www.CloudyDayArt.com - Poetry Podcast
                  • Cian Mac Mahon
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 13, 2009
                      In my opinion, the added $2 for the stats really isn't an issue. There
                      are much better, and free, stats services out there.

                      That said, I'm going to go ahead and renew for the slightly higher
                      price point on my 250mb account. As people have said before me, they
                      rock, and continue to do so. A few days back, when my feed got jumbled
                      by a server switch (something to do with Switchpod, I'm told) I sent a
                      support email. Within 10 minutes I had a reply, and within 25 minutes
                      my feed was all back the way it should have been. Now THAT'S service!
                      Cian Mac Mahon
                      Professional Podcaster
                      Available for voice work, consulting

                      www.ViewFromTheQuad.com