Re: Libsyn price increase (was Re: [podcasters] Libsyn)

  • Nobilis Reed
    Message 1 of 15 , May 11 12:11 PM
      Which limit is that?

      On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Ivy Reisner <ivy@...> wrote:
      >> I was at the 750 Meg limit, so $20/mo in the old prices.
      >
      > Oops, I meant 525.

      -----
      "Magical Clothes" is the erotic sequel to "The Emperor's New Clothes"
      in print and ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/2445662
    • Ivy Reisner
      Message 2 of 15 , May 11 12:28 PM
        When you sing up you can pick your upload per month limit.

        http://www.libsyn.com/account/

        I was referring to this option

        libsyn525
        $24 / month
        525MB / month
        Full statistics

        Which used to be $20 per month.

        --
        For my project from knitting videos to a writing podcast, please visit
        www.IvyReisner.com.
        Message 3 of 15 , May 11 1:03 PM
          On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Ivy Reisner <ivy@...> wrote:

          > Very true, now for another $3 you can have unlimited bandwidth, and
          > unlimited storage (no per month limit; no total limit) and the ability
          > to design your own website with full blown development tools (Perl/PHP
          > or ASP/ASPx) and databases, and e-mail, and unlimited blogs, and
          > additional tools (forums, wikis).  That's the offer GoDaddy is running
          > right now.  I was at the 750 Meg limit, so $20/mo in the old prices.  I
          > switched from libsyn to GoDaddy for my hosting, and I couldn't be happier.

          I'm glad it's working out for you. I have zero trust in GoDaddy,
          Dreamhost, and other general shared hosting services to deliver large
          media files in volume. They're not technically set up to handle it,
          and "unlimited" has limits once you start consuming too many
          simultaneous connections. I've been burned on this before, and will
          never use a shared host again for anything serious.

          (Plus I hate GoDaddy on general principle. Their advertising's
          offensive and their site design verges on unusable. But that's a side
          note.)

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Jesse Thorn
          Message 4 of 15 , May 11 6:18 PM
            I'm completely with Steven on this one.

            My show is my living, and I'd hate to be relying on a web host. The $40 or so I spend on Libsyn (I have several accounts) is well worth it, and they service they provide me is very much appreciated.

            Jesse
            The Sound of Young America
          • Ivy Reisner
            Message 5 of 15 , May 12 6:20 AM
              I don't have such a large audience. I'm only pushing through about 500
              gig a month, and that because I have a lot of large video files. But
              people just jump on randomly to grab the archive, not all at once, so
              it's not simultaneous resources.

              It's funny, once I decided to switch, libsyn decided to cancel my
              account for me, so I took it as a sign.

              You have me worried that I've made a bad choice, but I'm only doing it
              for fun, and I can always switch back later if I have to.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 12 8:05 AM
                On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Ivy Reisner <ivy@...> wrote:

                > You have me worried that I've made a bad choice, but I'm only doing it
                > for fun, and I can always switch back later if I have to.

                This is true. As long as you have control over your own domain and
                feed, and as long as you keep copies of your own files, there's pretty
                much nothing that can go wrong that you couldn't recover from in a day
                or two if you had to. Where the files come from doesn't matter, as
                long as you don't hand out *.libsyn.com or *.feedburner.com or
                whatever as your primary site or feed URL.

                (I reinforced this lesson myself a couple weeks ago, when
                Google-née-Feedburner shut down my Feedburner feed and insisted my
                password was wrong when I tried to fix it. I was effectively screwed
                out of my own feeds. But since I'd done the 'domain alias' thing from
                the very beginning, and was using feeds.escapepod.org and such as my
                URL, I was able to point those back to my own Web server and bring it
                back up.)

                ((And yes, Todd Cochrane, you have total license to get smug now.)) >8-P

                Anyway, I was sincere in my "I'm glad it's working out for you." I
                actually think it would be a bad thing if *every* podcaster was on one
                host, regardless of who they are. We all have different needs and
                solve them differently, and that's good.

                http://www.escapepod.org
                Message 7 of 15 , May 12 8:05 AM
                  On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Ivy Reisner <ivy@...> wrote:

                  > You have me worried that I've made a bad choice, but I'm only doing it
                  > for fun, and I can always switch back later if I have to.

                  This is true. As long as you have control over your own domain and
                  feed, and as long as you keep copies of your own files, there's pretty
                  much nothing that can go wrong that you couldn't recover from in a day
                  or two if you had to. Where the files come from doesn't matter, as
                  long as you don't hand out *.libsyn.com or *.feedburner.com or
                  whatever as your primary site or feed URL.

                  (I reinforced this lesson myself a couple weeks ago, when
                  Google-née-Feedburner shut down my Feedburner feed and insisted my
                  password was wrong when I tried to fix it. I was effectively screwed
                  out of my own feeds. But since I'd done the 'domain alias' thing from
                  the very beginning, and was using feeds.escapepod.org and such as my
                  URL, I was able to point those back to my own Web server and bring it
                  back up.)

                  ((And yes, Todd Cochrane, you have total license to get smug now.)) >8-P

                  Anyway, I was sincere in my "I'm glad it's working out for you." I
                  actually think it would be a bad thing if *every* podcaster was on one
                  host, regardless of who they are. We all have different needs and
                  solve them differently, and that's good.

                  http://www.escapepod.org
                • barely.podcasting
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 12 8:55 AM
                    I would say that the increase was a shock, but I have been waiting for it. Per Rob Walsh (Today in iPhone and Podcast 411) who works for Wizzard, the notices were being sent out in batches. The Stats feature (from what I understand) isn't available for new sign ups in the now $6/mo plan but being grandfathered in to those of us who have it already. You can get the stats for an extra $2/mo.

                    It is a good business model, and I have been happy for the most part with my podcasts on Libsyn, and have been with them for over 3 years now.Remember, they are a business, and out to make money, they provide a service to us at a reasonable price. I do agree with everyone saying that you should have two hosts though. One for the web site and one for the MP3's. It is wiser that way in my opinion.
                  • George L Smyth
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 12 10:04 AM
                      > Sure, there's still a $5/month level, but you get less for your money. I suspect the lack of stats would drive away even starting podcasters with any ambition for growth.

                      Fortunately, those who are current customers at the $5 level will continue to get stats. My One Minute How-To podcast is short (under five minutes) and twice a week, so I come nowhere close to the low end limit - if I had to move to the next level then that would really be a waste.

                      With that podcast passing the three year mark and Eclectic Mix close to its fourth anniversary, I am glad that I am able to stay with Libsyn, as I have had very few complaints over the years.

                      Cheers -

                      george

                      -------------------------------------
                      Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                      Sounds Of Ambience: http://SoundsOfAmbience.com
                    • Martin McKeay
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 12 10:28 AM
                        I voted in favor of Libsyn in the only way that really matters, I updated my
                        billing information and paid for the increase. I've been with Libsyn for
                        over 3 years now and while I've had a number of minor issues, I have always
                        felt they were undercharging for their services. Not that I was offering to
                        pay more, but I'm also not going to complain that they've upped the price.

                        My podcast gets approximately 2700 downloads per episode and about 14,000
                        downloads a month. I figure that puts me past the break even point of
                        moving to most of the cloud computing offerings out there. If Libsyn starts
                        getting stupid and doubles the price of their service or something, then I
                        might have to do the math again, but for now, I'll stick with them.

                        My $.02

                        Martin

                        Martin McKeay
                        CISSP, GSNA, QSA
                        Network Security Blog and Podcast
                        http://www.mckeay.net
                        http://netsecpodcast.com
                        Twitter: @McKeay
                        Cell: 707-495-7926

                        On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM, George L Smyth <glsmyth@...> wrote:

                        > > Sure, there's still a $5/month level, but you get less for your money. I
                        > suspect the lack of stats would drive away even starting podcasters with any
                        > ambition for growth.
                        >
                        > Fortunately, those who are current customers at the $5 level will continue
                        > to get stats. My One Minute How-To podcast is short (under five minutes)
                        > and twice a week, so I come nowhere close to the low end limit - if I had to
                        > move to the next level then that would really be a waste.
                        >
                        > With that podcast passing the three year mark and Eclectic Mix close to its
                        > fourth anniversary, I am glad that I am able to stay with Libsyn, as I have
                        > had very few complaints over the years.
                        >
                        > Cheers -
                        >
                        > george
                        >
                        > -------------------------------------
                        > Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com
                        > One Minute How-To: http://OneMinuteHowTo.com
                        > Sounds Of Ambience: http://SoundsOfAmbience.com

                      • Will Brown
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 13 3:46 AM
                          Here's the text of the email that was sent out for those interested:

                          ************'
                          Dear Libsyn Users-

                          This email is the official notice that the monthly service charge for
                          your libsyn podcasting account will be increasing. You will be
                          required to update your account information the next time you login to
                          libsyn.com. If you do not update your account information by
                          5/22/2009, your account may be placed on hold. In order to avoid any
                          disruption of service, we advise that you login to libsyn.com as soon
                          as possible and take the steps necessary to update your billing
                          account information. In addition to PayPal, we now also accept Visa,
                          MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards.

                          New rates are in effect now for new users signing up. As part of this
                          accounting process change, we are also shifting all invoice dates to
                          the 1st of the month. That means on June 1st, all users will be billed
                          for June service plus the pro-rated difference between the normal May
                          payment date and the first of the month. So whether you just made a
                          payment or your payment would normally be made later in the month, you
                          won't be getting charged until 6/1/2009.

                          Charges made on 6/1/2009:

                          Service Plan Old Rate New Rate
                          libsyn 100MB (legacy users only) $ 5.00 $ 6.00
                          libsyn 250MB $ 10.00 $ 12.00
                          libsyn 525MB $ 20.00 $ 24.00
                          libsyn 800MB $ 30.00 $ 36.00
                          libsyn 1500MB $ 50.00 $ 60.00

                          The new pricing is necessary to support the health and growth of our
                          network. This is our first price increase since we launched the libsyn
                          service in 2004, but we remain committed to our original goal: To
                          offer an advanced publishing service to independent podcasters with an
                          affordable fixed monthly fee based on storage, not transfer. Your
                          success is our success. We never forget that without the support of
                          our customers these past four and half years Libsyn could not have
                          achieved all that we have done. We are proud to be a part of this
                          industry and we hope to prove our loyalty to you with upcoming
                          developments in the near future.

                          We appreciate your continued support and as always look forward to
                          your feedback on how we are doing.

                          Sincerely,
                          The libsyn squad

                          *********************

                          ======================
                          http://www.WillBrownOnline.com/ - All Things Me
                          http://www.CloudyDayArt.com - Poetry Podcast
                        • Cian Mac Mahon
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 13 8:40 AM
                            In my opinion, the added $2 for the stats really isn't an issue. There
                            are much better, and free, stats services out there.

                            That said, I'm going to go ahead and renew for the slightly higher
                            price point on my 250mb account. As people have said before me, they
                            rock, and continue to do so. A few days back, when my feed got jumbled
                            by a server switch (something to do with Switchpod, I'm told) I sent a
                            support email. Within 10 minutes I had a reply, and within 25 minutes
                            my feed was all back the way it should have been. Now THAT'S service!
                            Cian Mac Mahon
                            Professional Podcaster
                            Available for voice work, consulting

                            www.ViewFromTheQuad.com