Cons?

  • Data Scavenger
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2009
      I was thinking about a recent message where Steve said that time with
      people was the best part of going to cons. Any suggestions for
      conventions to attend?

      Sadly, I have a scheduling conflict with Balticon. :( I went last
      year and enjoyed it immensely! (Mur rocked, BTW.) I got a lot of
      advice, met a number of cool people, collected new anecdotes, and went
      to some great parties. Yes, you should all go!

      I'm feeling an "itch" to see another con sometime soon, but with
      conflicting plans that weekend I have no idea what else is good. I'm
      in the north east US. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2009
        On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Data Scavenger <datascavenger@...> wrote:
        > I was thinking about a recent message where Steve said that time with
        > people was the best part of going to cons.  Any suggestions for
        > conventions to attend?

        Well, I'm having an incredible time at PenguiCon *right now* -- I'm
        typing this at a table in the con suite, with a cute girl who's just
        drawn a cartoon of me -- and I'm not the only podcaster here. Rick
        Stringer and Rick Jackson are here too, and some other cool audio
        people. That's not helpful for you today, but I'd love to bring more
        of us here next year.

        > Sadly, I have a scheduling conflict with Balticon.  :(  I went last
        > year and enjoyed it immensely!  (Mur rocked, BTW.)  I got a lot of
        > advice, met a number of cool people, collected new anecdotes, and went
        > to some great parties.  Yes, you should all go!

        Dragon*Con on Labor Day weekend brings a lot of podcasters as well.
        It's rather bigger and more chaotic than a typical convention, but
        Sigler's podcaster party is rapidly becoming an institution.

        Other than that... Just do what seems like fun, tell others where
        you'll be, and maybe you'll spontaneously create a good scene. >8->

        http://www.escapepod.org
      • Data Scavenger
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2009
          On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
          > Well, I'm having an incredible time at PenguiCon *right now*

          *Laugh* Yeah, I REALLY wanted to go to PenguiCon, too. *sigh* Oh
          well. Of course, I'd have to drive for 2 days to get there, 2 days to
          get back... Uh, maybe train? Either way, I'd have to use at least 4
          vacation days.

          I shall be pondering though. Maybe 2010 will by my Year of the Con. :)
        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2009
            From: "Data Scavenger"
            (snip)
            > I'm feeling an "itch" to see another con sometime soon, but with
            > conflicting plans that weekend I have no idea what else is good. I'm
            > in the north east US. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

            In the Boston area there is Arisia in January, and Boskone in Feb. ...
            neither one is "soon" however.

            What part of the "north east" are you in?

            Richard Amirault
            Boston, MA, USA
            http://n1jdu.org
            http://bostonfandom.org
          • Data Scavenger
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2009
              On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...> wrote:
              > In the Boston area there is Arisia in January, and Boskone in Feb. ...
              > neither one is "soon" however.

              I enjoy Arisia. Never went to Boskone.

              > What part of the "north east" are you in?

              New York, near Mass.
            • ma scrub
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2009
                > I was thinking about a recent message where Steve said that time with

                > people was the best part of going to cons.  Any suggestions for

                > conventions to attend?

                Other than that... Just do what seems like fun, tell others where

                you'll be, and maybe you'll spontaneously create a good scene. >8->

                Well, I am organizing a podcasting conference taking place on a cruise.
                I would really like to see this happen and could really use help promoting it.
                I like Steve's above advice about doing what seems fun and spontaneously creating
                a scene. I see the cruise as lots of fun because it combines traveling to the Bahamas
                along with the fellowship of podcasters.

                I am a guppy in a huge pond and wouldn't mind joining forces with a whale.

                theresa

                PodCastCon Cruise
                http://podcastconcruise.wikidot.com

                Personal and Group Travel
                Cruise Bug Vacations
                www.cruisebugvacations.com
                Blog and Podcast -
                www.cruisebugchatter.com

                > I was thinking about a recent message where Steve said that time with

                > people was the best part of going to cons.  Any suggestions for

                > conventions to attend?

                Well, I'm having an incredible time at PenguiCon *right now* -- I'm

                typing this at a table in the con suite, with a cute girl who's just

                drawn a cartoon of me -- and I'm not the only podcaster here. Rick

                Stringer and Rick Jackson are here too, and some other cool audio

                people. That's not helpful for you today, but I'd love to bring more

                of us here next year.

                > Sadly, I have a scheduling conflict with Balticon.  :(  I went last

                > year and enjoyed it immensely!  (Mur rocked, BTW.)  I got a lot of

                > advice, met a number of cool people, collected new anecdotes, and went

                > to some great parties.  Yes, you should all go!

                Dragon*Con on Labor Day weekend brings a lot of podcasters as well.

                It's rather bigger and more chaotic than a typical convention, but

                Sigler's podcaster party is rapidly becoming an institution.

                Other than that... Just do what seems like fun, tell others where

                you'll be, and maybe you'll spontaneously create a good scene. >8->

                Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail. com)

                http://www.escapepo d.org

              • ma_scrub
                Message 7 of 8 , May 4, 2009

                  > > What part of the "north east" are you in?
                  >
                  > New York, near Mass.

                  Where in NY near Mass?

                  I am also in NY near Mass - New Lebanon.

                  theresa

                • Kevin Bachelder
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 4, 2009
                    > Dragon*Con on Labor Day weekend brings a lot of podcasters as well.
                    > It's rather bigger and more chaotic than a typical convention, but
                    > Sigler's podcaster party is rapidly becoming an institution.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Have Fun,
                    >   Steve Eley (sfeley@...)

                    Planning is just now getting under way for the podcasting track at
                    Dragon*Con 2009 and you can keep up on things via our website...

                    http://www.dragon-pod.com

                    Derek and I also just recorded the first episode of Dragon*Pod for
                    2009 and it should be released very soon.

                    Take care,

                    Kevin

                    -----

                    Fan of Science Fiction?
                    If so, then you might enjoy listening to these award winning podcasts...

                    Tuning Into Scifi TV
                    http://www.tuningintoscifitv.com

                    The Signal (Firefly)
                    http://www.serenityfirefly.com