Need help! Mister Ron's Basement podcast a victim of it's own success...

  • revry
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2009
      Hey all,

      My podcast, Mister Ron's Basement (http://slapcast.com/users/revry -- catalogued at http://ronevry.com/Mister_Rons_Full_Catalog.html), was once described by a fellow podcaster as "the most popular podcast nobody has ever heard of." Actually, I believe he was talking about nobody in the podcaster/techie/ community.

      The Basement has offered a daily show of humorous stories by (mostly) little known American authors from the public domain -- that is, from before 1923. The 1300 plus episodes have attracted many regular listeners from around the planet. Month by month stats are available from a link on the Basement web site.

      The Basement currently averages between 25,000 to 35,000 downloads a DAY, and for the month of April has already passed Six Terabytes of bandwidth.

      And THAT success story is the crux of my problem. My host for the last four years, slapcast.com, is closing up shop at the end of July (although he will give free redirects until the end of 2010). I've been paying five dollars a month for the service, which may be one of the reasons slapcast is going away :)

      Anyway, it is VITAL that all 1300+ episodes remain up. They represent years of research in classic American Humor, and are a resource that simply is available no other way. The costs I have been quoted are astronomical. One respectable, well-known company offered me hosting for 30 cents a Gigabyte of bandwidth, which will cost about $1500 or more a month! Sorry, I'm not that rich.

      I have no sponsors, and cannot conceive of anyone who wants to spend money reaching people who like to listen to 150 year old stories.

      The best offer I have gotten will cost me about a thousand dollars a year, which is still more than I have. If I have to, I will do that and try to scrape up the funds one way or another.

      Needless to say, I am wondering if any of the nice folks on this list have any suggestions that could either direct me to real sponsorship, print publicity, or cheap but good hosting.

      Thanks!

      Ron Evry
    • Mike Wills
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2009
        Take a look at archive.org or see if you can work a deal with someone
        like libsyn.

        --
        Mike Wills
        http://mikewills.info

        Sent from my iPod Touch

        On Apr 30, 2009, at 12:13 PM, "revry" <revry@...> wrote:

        > Hey all,
        >
        > My podcast, Mister Ron's Basement (http://slapcast.com/users/revry
        > -- catalogued at http://ronevry.com/Mister_Rons_Full_Catalog.html),
        > was once described by a fellow podcaster as "the most popular
        > podcast nobody has ever heard of." Actually, I believe he was
        > talking about nobody in the podcaster/techie/ community.
        >
        > The Basement has offered a daily show of humorous stories by
        > (mostly) little known American authors from the public domain --
        > that is, from before 1923. The 1300 plus episodes have attracted
        > many regular listeners from around the planet. Month by month stats
        > are available from a link on the Basement web site.
        >
        > The Basement currently averages between 25,000 to 35,000 downloads a
        > DAY, and for the month of April has already passed Six Terabytes of
        > bandwidth.
        >
        > And THAT success story is the crux of my problem. My host for the
        > last four years, slapcast.com, is closing up shop at the end of July
        > (although he will give free redirects until the end of 2010). I've
        > been paying five dollars a month for the service, which may be one
        > of the reasons slapcast is going away :)
        >
        > Anyway, it is VITAL that all 1300+ episodes remain up. They
        > represent years of research in classic American Humor, and are a
        > resource that simply is available no other way. The costs I have
        > been quoted are astronomical. One respectable, well-known company
        > offered me hosting for 30 cents a Gigabyte of bandwidth, which will
        > cost about $1500 or more a month! Sorry, I'm not that rich.
        >
        > I have no sponsors, and cannot conceive of anyone who wants to spend
        > money reaching people who like to listen to 150 year old stories.
        >
        > The best offer I have gotten will cost me about a thousand dollars a
        > year, which is still more than I have. If I have to, I will do that
        > and try to scrape up the funds one way or another.
        >
        > Needless to say, I am wondering if any of the nice folks on this
        > list have any suggestions that could either direct me to real
        > sponsorship, print publicity, or cheap but good hosting.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Ron Evry

      • revry
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2009
          Thanks Mike,

          I've written to archive.org, but never heard back from them. Unfortunately, their arrangement is a bit too haphazard for me & I think even they would balk at hosting my complete setup.

          And libsyn was the service that offered me the 30 cent a Gigabyte bandwidth rate...:)

          -=-Ron-=-

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2009
            On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:09 PM, revry <revry@...> wrote:

            > And libsyn was the service that offered me the 30 cent a Gigabyte bandwidth rate...:)

            That makes no sense. Libsyn doesn't charge for bandwidth. They don't
            charge *anyone* for bandwidth. They charge for the amount of data you
            upload to them in a month.

            Are you sure you didn't misunderstand their offer, and what they
            really quoted you was a one-time rate to bring that much data onto
            their server at once? I have heard of them making offers like that
            before, to make things easier for established podcasters to migrate
            their archives to Libsyn. If that's the case, take it -- it's a good
            deal.

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • J Wynia
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2009
              Is it possible that LibSyn is doing what nearly every “unlimited” service
              does at some point: cut off the edge of the bell curve? Cell phone
              companies, cable companies and plenty of hosting providers other than LibSyn
              all offer “unlimited” service, but will cut you off if you clear a certain
              amount of data transferred. My cellphone data plan, for instance, is
              “unlimited” data, but at 5GB/month, they cut you off or start charging per
              gigabyte.

              They usually have terms of service that weasel out of the common meaning of
              “unlimited” to keep the FTC off their back, but the hidden cap is more
              common than not. I’m not saying LibSyn is, in fact, doing this, but it
              wouldn’t surprise me once you start talking about 6-10TB a month.

              As for “If that's the case, take it -- it's a good deal.”, I find it really
              surprising that you’d say that, Stephen. On more than a few occasions, when
              someone asks about using Amazon S3 for hosting, you rail against how
              expensive it will get if your podcast gets popular. Yet, S3 is at $0.10/GB
              as their base rate (with a May-June sale of $0.03/GB) and other cloud file
              hosts like Mosso are at $0.15/GB, making them ½ to 1/3 as expensive as the
              price he was quoted, making it decidedly NOT a good deal.

              The $1000/yr offer he has would actually be a good deal (again, not a
              comfortable number, but below “retail market rate” for bandwidth).

              Steve Eley (sfeley@... <mailto:sfeley%40gmail.com> )
              http://www.escapepod.org

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2009
                On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM, J Wynia <j@...> wrote:

                > They usually have terms of service that weasel out of the common meaning of
                > “unlimited” to keep the FTC off their back, but the hidden cap is more
                > common than not. I’m not saying LibSyn is, in fact, doing this, but it
                > wouldn’t surprise me once you start talking about 6-10TB a month.

                It seems extremely unlikely to me. That 'hidden cap' thing is why I
                left Dreamhost; but in the case of Libsyn, I *am* pushing about that
                many terabytes a month out of my account, and they've never said a
                word about it to me. And the Escape Artists podcasts aren't anywhere
                close to the top of their Hot 100 list. I know a lot of podcasts are
                moving a lot more files than I am. If Libsyn was cutting successful
                podcasts off, we'd know all about it. The Ninja and Keith & The Girl
                alone wouldn't shut up about it.

                > As for “If that's the case, take it -- it's a good deal.”, I find it really
                > surprising that you’d say that, Stephen. On more than a few occasions, when
                > someone asks about using Amazon S3 for hosting, you rail against how
                > expensive it will get if your podcast gets popular. Yet, S3 is at $0.10/GB
                > as their base rate (with a May-June sale of $0.03/GB) and other cloud file
                > hosts like Mosso are at $0.15/GB, making them ½ to 1/3 as expensive as the
                > price he was quoted, making it decidedly NOT a good deal.

                Unless it's apples and oranges. Yes, uploading to Amazon S3 is
                cheaper. But the upload cost was never what made S3 a risk for
                podcasters anyway. It's trivial. I could *upload* all my files to S3
                for less than a dollar. The killer is the bandwidth cost. That's
                where Uncle Ron's terabyte stats matter, and that's where S3 would
                become prohibitively expensive.

                I want to emphasize this strongly, because you missed the point
                earlier: *LIBSYN HAS NO BANDWIDTH COST.* Paying ten times as much for
                upload doesn't matter, if I'm right in my theory that that's what he
                was quoted. Ten dollars instead of one dollar? No problem. After
                that, he'd only have to pay the standard few bucks a month for a
                regular Libsyn account, based on what he'd continue to upload each
                month moving forward.

                > The $1000/yr offer he has would actually be a good deal (again, not a
                > comfortable number, but below “retail market rate” for bandwidth).

                Libsyn has no bandwidth cost. Truly. Honestly. It's not an
                advertising lie. They just don't.

                http://www.escapepod.org
              • Mike Wills
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2009
                  Ah, that makes sense... I always wondered how an established podcaster could
                  move to them with the limits they have.

                  --
                  Mike Wills
                  Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com

                  "May your uploads be quick and your downloads many"

                  On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:

                  > On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:09 PM, revry <revry@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > And libsyn was the service that offered me the 30 cent a Gigabyte
                  > bandwidth rate...:)
                  >
                  > That makes no sense. Libsyn doesn't charge for bandwidth. They don't
                  > charge *anyone* for bandwidth. They charge for the amount of data you
                  > upload to them in a month.
                  >
                  > Are you sure you didn't misunderstand their offer, and what they
                  > really quoted you was a one-time rate to bring that much data onto
                  > their server at once? I have heard of them making offers like that
                  > before, to make things easier for established podcasters to migrate
                  > their archives to Libsyn. If that's the case, take it -- it's a good
                  > deal.
                  >

                  > --
                  > Have Fun,
                  > Steve Eley (sfeley@...)
                  > http://www.escapepod.org

                • barely.podcasting
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2009
                    One way you could go about doing a move to Libsyn (which I am on and love it) is to start with the back catalog, just move over a couple of files a day. Making sure you don't exceed your limit. You might want to go one level higher than you need (ie instead of the $5/mo plan to the $10/mo plan) until you get everything over. Then reset your plan to what is appropriate for your uploads once you have them all in there.

                    Since you said you had a redirect until June/July of 2010, that should be helpful. I assume you own your rss feed? If you are using a standard one that your host provided, you will need to do some work with that. You will need to have two versions of the show. One that is on your old host and feed stating that your listeners need to start using the new feed, and give them LOTS of time to do that. On the second feed (that you should own, like mine is http://barelypodcasting.com/?feed=rss2, I can have the files hosted anywhere and change it once a month and no one will know the difference.

                    I know it sounds like a lot of hard work, but with the right amount of planning, you should be able to get through it in a few months. Again, Libsyn is great if you decide to go with them. They have been very helpful to me when I needed it, and have NEVER been charged a bandwidth fee. I have been with them for over 3 years now.

                    Barely

                    Barely Podcasting
                    http://barelypodcasting.com

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 1, 2009
                      I want to thank you guys. I may have indeed misinterpreted the letter I got from libsyn. I have written back to them for clarification. If the 30 cent per gig fee is only for upload, then this is a true bargain. If it includes download bandwidth, then I'm stuck.

                      Hope it all works out...

                      Meanwhile, please enjoy the Basement podcasts while they're still around...