WireTap Studio vs. GarageBand

  • Data Scavenger
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20, 2009
      I'm writing on my phone while waiting for a car repair, so I want to
      apologize for my brevity and lack of URLs.

      Last night I realized that I have a license to WireTap Studio. (Thanks
      to the recent MacHeist software bundle/sale.) After looking at its
      demo videos, I learned that it has non-destructive audio editing.
      (You can undo or change any crop or clip or delete.)

      So now I'm wondering about using WireTap Studio instead of GarageBand.
      Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this? I'm very curious
      about any feedback that the group could offer on using WireTap Studio
      for an audio editor.

      Thanks in advance,
      Jaime
    • Jacek Artymiak
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20, 2009
        On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Data Scavenger <datascavenger@...> wrote:

        > I'm writing on my phone while waiting for a car repair, so I want to
        > apologize for my brevity and lack of URLs.
        >
        > Last night I realized that I have a license to WireTap Studio. (Thanks
        > to the recent MacHeist software bundle/sale.) After looking at its
        > demo videos, I learned that it has non-destructive audio editing.
        > (You can undo or change any crop or clip or delete.)
        >
        > So now I'm wondering about using WireTap Studio instead of GarageBand.
        > Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this? I'm very curious
        > about any feedback that the group could offer on using WireTap Studio
        > for an audio editor.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Jaime

        I like and use both. However, I found a weird bug in... who knows
        which piece of software... that prevents me from using WireTap Studio
        with my Tascam US-122L interface. More on that here:

        http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=685423

        So I'm back to Garageband until I get a new audio interface that works
        with all audio software I have on my system (QuickTime, Garageband,
        WireTap Studio, Audio Hijack Pro, Nicecast, iMovie, Screeflow,
        Videocue, Adobe Flash) rather than with just a few.

        I find Garageband a better choice for putting together jingles and
        podcasts with advanced sound imaging effects. You can listen to one of
        my jingles here:
        http://blip.tv/file/get/Jartymiak-texyplJingle3445.flv

        WireTap Studio suits me better for recording voiceovers, managing
        multiple takes and tweaking the processing chain. I happen to suffer
        from a nasty asthma and my voice sometimes needs a lot of processing.
        The non-destructive editing feature is a great thing to have in such
        case. If you ever run into limits of what WireTap Studio will let you
        do, simply export your audio files in a lossless format and import
        them into Garageband or anything else (well, Fusion would probably not
        be a good choice ;-)

        --
        Jacek Artymiak
        http://devGuide.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 20, 2009
          On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Jacek Artymiak <jacekartymiak@...> wrote:
          > I like and use both. However, I found a weird bug in... who knows
          > which piece of software... that prevents me from using WireTap Studio
          > with my Tascam US-122L interface. More on that here:
          >
          > http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=685423

          Youch... I took a look at your post and I have no useful advise for
          you. Sorry.

          > So I'm back to Garageband until I get a new audio interface that works
          > with all audio software I have on my system (QuickTime, Garageband,
          > WireTap Studio, Audio Hijack Pro, Nicecast, iMovie, Screeflow,
          > Videocue, Adobe Flash) rather than with just a few.

          Wow. That is quite a list. I haven't used Audio Hijack Pro and I
          haven't even looked at Nicecast in a very long time. I like
          Screenflow for tutorials for my coworkers, though. :)

          Thanks for all the input and advise. I wish that I could return the
          favor. Please feel free to toss me any questions that you think I
          might be able to help with. (I work as a sysadmin in IT, I have a
          Zoom H4 and a lot of Mac background.)

          Jaime
        • Jacek Artymiak
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 21, 2009
            On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:42 AM, Data Scavenger
            <datascavenger@...> wrote:

            > Wow. That is quite a list. I haven't used Audio Hijack Pro and I
            > haven't even looked at Nicecast in a very long time. I like
            > Screenflow for tutorials for my coworkers, though. :)
            >
            > Thanks for all the input and advise. I wish that I could return the
            > favor. Please feel free to toss me any questions that you think I
            > might be able to help with. (I work as a sysadmin in IT, I have a
            > Zoom H4 and a lot of Mac background.)

            Let's stay in touch then. My paying job is very closely related to
            system administration and network security.

            --
            Jacek Artymiak
            http://devGuide.co.uk
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2009
              Just a quick update on my Tascam US-122L problem. No, it hasn't been
              fixed. No word from Tascam. But, I got a Blue Icicle and it does work
              with all of my favorite audio apps (QuickTime Pro, Garageband, WireTap
              Studio, Audio Hijack Pro, Nicecast, iMovie, Screeflow, Videocue, Adobe
              Flash). Unfortunately, I got one of the bad units that need to be
              replaced. This problem has been confirmed by Blue and they are willing
              to replace faulty units. I just filled my Service Request Form.

              --
              Jacek Artymiak
              http://devGuide.net