Re: [podcasters] Amazon S3 for podcast file hosting?

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 16, 2009
      On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Walt Snider <waltsnider@...> wrote:

      > It's entirely possible for a person to use a WordPress.com blog and Archive.org to host their files completely free. You forfeit analytics, but we really don't do it for the numbers, do we?

      You wouldn't have to give up analytics. Just use a redirect service
      that tracks requests. Plenty of commercial outfits do this --
      Podtrac, Rawvoice, etc. -- and the PodPress plugin will support doing
      it from your own domain. The built-in reporting somewhat sucks, but
      once it's captured in the database you could always build your own
      reports if you know how.

      Another advantage of redirects is that you gain flexibility. In the
      case of those Libsyn files you'd mentioned -- if you didn't give out
      the Libsyn URL, but rather your own URL that redirected to the file,
      you could change the base location of the file and nobody would have
      to care where the file really lives. That's what I was talking about
      in the context of S3 as a backup service.

      http://www.escapepod.org
    • Walt Snider
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 16, 2009
        Steve,

        An excellent point, I overlooked this. You are on the ball, so you really don't sacrifice anything going all free! I love the internet!

        Walt Snider
        phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
        email: walt@...
        web: www.WaltSnider.com
        blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
        podcasts: www.KoreNewMedia.com

        To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
        From: SFEley@...
        Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:23:36 -0400
        Subject: Re: [podcasters] Amazon S3 for podcast file hosting?

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2009
          On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Walt Snider

          > An excellent point, I overlooked this. You are on the ball, so you really don't sacrifice anything going all free! I love the internet!

          I wouldn't go "all free," however. I wanted to point out that it's
          possible, but that doesn't make it a great idea, especially for those
          who are thinking of building their podcast out into a business.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Todd Cochrane
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 20, 2009
            Calvin

            We use Amazon strictly for backup storage of our podcasters media, and
            use a CDN (Content Delivery Network) that has a huge numbers of points
            of presence throughout the world for their media delivery.

            While we do have a podcast hosting service, we also help podcasters that
            are looking for a high performance media delivery platform. We have some
            aggressive per gig pricing. We did not waste time building our own, we
            let the professionals through our CDN service handle the media delivery,
            if you would like some pricing drop me a line privately.

            Todd Cochrane
            CEO RawVoice
            ceo@...

            Calvin Powers wrote:

            > Howdy,
            > I'm looking around for a hosting service to host the MP3 files for my soon
            > to be relaunched podcast. I was wondering if there's anyone out there that
            > currently uses the Amazon Simple Storage service to host their MP3
            > files and
            > if so, have you had any problems with it?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Calvin

          • Calvin Powers
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 20, 2009