Re: Podcasting conference

  • Angelo
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
      If you do not intend on making a profit from your podcasting unconference and everyone will be treated equally (e.g. not paying specific speakers to come), you may be able to call it a PodCamp. I would recommend reaching out to the PodCamp organizers (http://podcamp.pbwiki.com/) first though before making that determination.

      PodCamp Ohio 2 is coming this June 20th, 2009 at The Ohio State University. Registration and the sessions forms are on-line so if you're interested in coming or speaking, head to http://www.podcampohio.com/. There's already a pretty good mix of blogging, podcasting, marketing and social networking sessions lined up.

      --angelo

      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "ma_scrub" <ma_scrub@...> wrote:

      > I am considering organizing a free podcasting conference that has some elements of an unconference, but is a bit more structured.
      > For those of you who have attended podcasting conferences, what did you like about them and which type of sessions appealed to you?
      > For those of you who haven't attended any podcasting conferences, which types of topics would you find appealing?
      >
      > I have learned lots from this group and have been slacking lately on producing new podcasts; I need a jump start and am always motivated by meeting with like minded people.
      >
      > Any input appreciated.
      >
      > PS. I am aware of Podcamp.
      > This conference would take place on a cruise ship.

    • Todd Cochrane
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
        The challenge your going to have, in doing a podcast conference on a
        cruise ship is that most podcasters are generally working 40+ hours a
        week, and to take a cruise means vacation time and spending big money.
        With one big conference in Vegas already and Podcamps around the country
        the offering would have to be very compelling. It's hard enough to get
        people to drive 3-4 hours to a podcamp let alone plunk down a chunk of
        change.. Again I also think it depends on who your going to have onboard
        that would make it compelling to attend.

        Todd...

        > > I am considering organizing a free podcasting conference that has
        > some elements of an unconference, but is a bit more structured.
        > > For those of you who have attended podcasting conferences, what did
        > you like about them and which type of sessions appealed to you?
        > > For those of you who haven't attended any podcasting conferences,
        > which types of topics would you find appealing?
        > >
        > > I have learned lots from this group and have been slacking lately on
        > producing new podcasts; I need a jump start and am always motivated by
        > meeting with like minded people.
        > >
        > > Any input appreciated.
        > >
        > > PS. I am aware of Podcamp.
        > > This conference would take place on a cruise ship.

      • ma scrub
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 6, 2009
          Thanks for you input into the conference.
          The cruise would be a short one so that nobody need worry
          about taking off time for work. The cruise will also be relatively
          inexpensive - not more than what one would pay if they had to get a hotel
          for a conference.

          I will post later when everything is firmed up.

          Which podcasting personalities would be a draw for you?
          One premise of this conference is sharing, so experience is more important than fame.

          Theresa

          Personal and Group Travel
          Cruise Bug Vacations
          www.cruisebugvacations.com
          Blog and Podcast -
          www.cruisebugchatter.com

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 6, 2009
            On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM, ma scrub <ma_scrub@...> wrote:
            > Thanks for you input into the conference.
            > The cruise would be a short one so that nobody need worry
            > about taking off time for work. The cruise will also be relatively
            > inexpensive - not more than what one would pay if they had to get a hotel
            > for a conference.

            It may be of interest to note that the podcamp-on-a-cruise-ship idea
            has already been done. It was an official PodCamp in summer of 2007.
            The wiki's not there any more, but Google on "PodCruise Miami" to get
            some of the old buzz about it.

            So there's some precedent.

            http://www.escapepod.org
          • Waleed Ovase
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 7, 2009
              Was there broadband on the cruise ship?

              waldo

              --
              Waleed "Waldo" Ovase
              Executive Producer

              "...you know what? I still get out of bed
              every day and make coffee, smoke some crack cocaine, put on my Richard
              Nixon mask and foam rubber cowboy hat and go to work like everyone
              else..."
              - Edward Morris

            • ma scrub
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 7, 2009
                Cruise ships use satellite for internet.

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 7, 2009
                  Thanks.

                  Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail. com)

                  http://www.escapepo d.org

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 7, 2009
                    On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Waleed Ovase
                    <americanbookmoghuls@...> wrote:
                    > Was there broadband on the cruise ship?

                    I wasn't there.

                    http://www.escapepod.org
                  • Karen Cardoza
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 7, 2009
                      I believe that Podcruise Miami ended up being canceled because they didn't
                      get enough participants. I have some long time podcasting friends who were
                      scheduled to go but it never took place despite lots of advertising and a
                      VERY active podcasting community back then.

                      --
                      Karen Cardoza

                      http://karenjcardoza.com
                      (for links to PatriotWorld.com, Mrs. B's Patriot World Podcast, Patriots
                      Training Camp Reports, Muse with Me Podcast, & The 25th Hour, )

                    • ma scrub
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 8, 2009
                        That would explain why my Google searches for this don't turn up much in the way of
                        a review of this. It looks like there was plenty of enthusiasm.

                        The website is down and I haven't been able to find who was organizing.

                        Anybody know what types of numbers they were trying to get?
                        Are low-numbered conferences not considered worthwhile?

                        I see advantages to small groups.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 9, 2009
                          Theresa

                          The success of this depends on who you can book that is going to add
                          value in the sessions. This is going to drive your cost up considerably
                          because I would imagine you are going to have to pay for those thought
                          leaders to attend.

                          Todd..

                          ma scrub wrote:

                          > That would explain why my Google searches for this don't turn up much
                          > in the way of
                          > a review of this. It looks like there was plenty of enthusiasm.
                          >
                          > The website is down and I haven't been able to find who was organizing.
                          >
                          > Anybody know what types of numbers they were trying to get?
                          > Are low-numbered conferences not considered worthwhile?
                          >
                          > I see advantages to small groups.
                          >
                          > theresa
                          >
                          > Personal and Group Travel
                          > Cruise Bug Vacations
                          > www.cruisebugvacations.com
                          > Blog and Podcast -
                          > www.cruisebugchatter.com
                          >
                          > -

                        • Derek Colanduno
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 11, 2009
                            And,

                            Don't forget about the FOUR full days of Podcasting greatness at Dragon*Con. Not to mention the other foul, full, hotels of Science, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Gaming, and everything else cool. No place better to get your geek on.

                            http://www.dragoncon.org/

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 11, 2009
                              On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Derek Colanduno <dcolanduno@...> wrote:
                              > And,
                              >
                              > Don't forget about the FOUR full days of Podcasting greatness at Dragon*Con. Not to mention the other foul, full, hotels of Science, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Gaming, and everything else cool. No place better to get your geek on.

                              Oh, good point. Speaking of convention events, there's also a very
                              active podcasting track at Balticon (http://balticon.org) -- Paul
                              Fischer's been organizing a first-class set of panels, parties, and
                              live events for years. Balticon's a much smaller con than Dragon*Con,
                              but my perception is that at least in the podcasting crowd there that
                              contributes to making it a festive, friendly-community atmosphere.
                              This is in the Baltimore area over Memorial Day weekend. (Side note:
                              I'm going to be doing the first live Escape Pod event there this year,
                              at Paul's urging.)

                              Also, this year a few of us are going to be at Penguicon
                              (http://penguicon.org) the first weekend of May in Romulus, Michigan.
                              Penguicon's a hybrid science-fiction-and-Linux convention, and Matt
                              Arnold is doing some great work creating a number of podcasting
                              panels. Rick Stringer of Variant Frequencies and I will be there for
                              sure, and I believe some other podcasters of note; if this sounds
                              intriguing to you and you'd like to participate, the program _might_
                              still be in planning. Drop Matt a line at matt@... if
                              you'd like to know more.

                              http://www.escapepod.org
                            • ma_scrub@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 22, 2009
                                OK.  I did it. I have booked group space on the NCL Sky Dec. 4 for a podcasting unconference. The ship leaves from Miami. The rates are great - starting at $217.37 and that includes taxes and fees.
                                I have created a Wiki(my first attempt at a Wiki)at:
                                http://podcastconcruise.wikidot.com

                                Would appreciate any input,marketing suggestions, offers to lead sessions, etc.
                                This is all about podcasting (not a combination of new media) and it follows an unconference/open space model.

                                Theresa

                                Personal and Group Travel
                                Cruise Bug Vacations
                                www.cruisebugvacations.com
                                Blog and Podcast -
                                www.cruisebugchatter.com
                              • cafemuse
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 28, 2009
                                  My beef with most of these types of things is that its too much 101
                                  educating going on even now after 5 years of Podcasting under our belt.
                                  Another problem that I have with it is not enough professional
                                  interaction, mostly wannabees and a few tech services people. Having
                                  been a follower of the podcast evolution which is pretty much ubiquitous
                                  along with on-demand media, I feel that the steps taken now involve
                                  filtering, promotion and monetization. There should be a commercial
                                  lean to all this otherwise it could simply be another hyped up method of
                                  UGC which might have been it starting point, but is now mainstream.
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 28, 2009
                                    On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:59 AM, cafemuse <Cafemuse@...> wrote:

                                    > [ . . . ]  Having
                                    > been a follower of the podcast evolution which is pretty much ubiquitous
                                    > along with on-demand media, I feel that the steps taken now involve
                                    > filtering, promotion and monetization.   There should be a commercial
                                    > lean to all this otherwise it could simply be another hyped up method of
                                    > UGC which might have been it starting point, but is now mainstream.

                                    If you want to hang out with people who talk about nothing but
                                    promotion and monetization all day, the conference for you is Tim
                                    Bourquin's. The one that used to be called Podcast Expo, then Podcast
                                    & New Media Expo, then New Media Expo, and this year has been merged
                                    with BlogWorld.

                                    I won't be there this year. A lot of us won't be. I looked at the
                                    schedule last year, saw that it was dozens of variations on the same
                                    "I had an idea last week, now how can I get thousands of listeners
                                    this week and make money by Friday?" bullshit, and wasn't even vaguely
                                    tempted.

                                    (Tangent: I hate the word "monetize." It seems to me like the
                                    quickest way to kill the success prospects of any podcast is to put
                                    money first. I've been making a profit on mine since its second month
                                    in 2005, and Escape Artists, Inc. now has ten people on staff -- and
                                    I'm pretty sure the reason why is because I never wanted to do it for
                                    the money. I don't even know how much we're making now. I let
                                    somebody else handle that who cares about that stuff.)

                                    But regarding conferences and such... Learning is secondary. You can
                                    learn to podcast from a book, from this list, or from making friends
                                    with podcasters and asking them how they do it. The reason to get
                                    attend events with -- well, I was going to say "podcasters," but
                                    *anyone*, really -- is to spend time with people who are passionate
                                    about the same things you are and whose company you enjoy.

                                    http://www.escapepod.org
                                  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 28, 2009
                                      On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@...> wrote:
                                      > I won't be there this year. A lot of us won't be. I looked at the
                                      > schedule last year, saw that it was dozens of variations on the same
                                      > "I had an idea last week, now how can I get thousands of listeners
                                      > this week and make money by Friday?" bullshit, and wasn't even vaguely
                                      > tempted.

                                      Big reason I didn't go last year, and why the year before I didn't sit
                                      through more than one or two panels (I was part of one with Steve, and
                                      it wasn't about making money) and barely spent any time on the expo
                                      floor.

                                      > (Tangent: I hate the word "monetize." It seems to me like the
                                      > quickest way to kill the success prospects of any podcast is to put
                                      > money first.

                                      Monetizing a podcast doesn't necessarily mean putting the money first,
                                      at least not to me. It just means the podcast has some mechanism to
                                      bring in money. Agreed that the passion has to be for the content,
                                      not for what the content can do for your positive cash flow.

                                      > But regarding conferences and such... Learning is secondary. You can
                                      > learn to podcast from a book, from this list, or from making friends
                                      > with podcasters and asking them how they do it. The reason to get
                                      > attend events with -- well, I was going to say "podcasters," but
                                      > *anyone*, really -- is to spend time with people who are passionate
                                      > about the same things you are and whose company you enjoy.

                                      Double plus agreed.

                                      --
                                      Matthew Wayne Selznick
                                      Author, Podcaster, Social Media Consultation

                                      Paperback; ebook formats, mp3 CD, free podcast
                                      http://www.bravemenrun.com
                                    • badlybentpub
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 29, 2009
                                        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "cafemuse" <Cafemuse@...> wrote:

                                        > My beef with most of these types of things is that its too much 101
                                        > educating going on even now after 5 years of Podcasting under our belt.

                                        Oddly, it's been my experience that a lot of Podcamps, etc. focus on almost everything BUT podcasting, and the 101's thereof.

                                        Don't forget that there are a lot of people that are very, VERY new to podcasting, and have no skills whatsoever, they need the Podcasting 101 type stuff to get them going.

                                        I believe the key to a good overall conference is to offer a little bit of everything - the 101's, the more advanced 'how to"s as well as monetizing, other social media, etc. That's the hard part, because no matter WHAT you do, people will bitch that there wasn't enough of 'this' or there was too much of 'that'.

                                        Having said all THAT, of course, I've found that what I've gotten most from any conferences that I've gone to is the people that I've connected with. It's the face time that I enjoy - meeting new people who's work I enjoy, getting to share info, etc with them. I don't think that there's much you can get from a speaker at a conference that you can't find either online or in a book somewhere - but face-to-face interactions are what keeps me going back to these things.

                                        Stevie Z
                                        badlybent.ca
                                      • ma scrub
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 29, 2009
                                          Steve,

                                          You hit the nail on the head. The intangible benefits of a conference, such as mingling with others who share your passion, exchanging war stories and successes or simply engaging with like-minded people often trumps the more formal sessions offered at conferences. I just returned from a conference yesterday and learned a lot more from individual attendees than I did from any session. The connections that I made are invaluable and the enthusiasm of the attendees so contagious that I am motivated to grow even more in my endeavours.

                                          Do you have a better word for monetize? I agree that if your prime motivation for podcasting is to make money that it will show. That to me is on the same level as those with the websites that are simply advertisements. On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with making a few bucks to pay for bandwidth, the non-value meal at the fast-food place or even a conference now and then. It's the do-what-you-love-the-money-will-follow model.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 29, 2009
                                            On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:50 AM, ma scrub <ma_scrub@...> wrote:

                                            > Do you have a better word for monetize?

                                            "Sell." (Or "solicit," if it's a donation-based model.)

                                            > On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with making a few bucks to pay for bandwidth, the non-value meal at the fast-food place or even a conference now and then.

                                            Oh, I agree. There's nothing _wrong_ with making money. I'm making
                                            money on mine. I just think that launching a podcast with the
                                            _expectation_ of making significant money is bad strategy. For the
                                            amount of time a podcast takes to succeed, there are much more
                                            reliable and profitable income strategies. Like flipping burgers.

                                            > It's the do-what-you-love-the-money-will-follow model.

                                            Or, "do-what-you-love-the-money-MIGHT-follow." If it does, that's
                                            great. If it doesn't, it shouldn't matter if you're continuing to
                                            love it.

                                            http://www.escapepod.org
                                          • Ed Morgan
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 29, 2009
                                              I have to agree, while disagreeing as well. I agree that doing what you love doesn't also yield a decent income, since not everything is going to be marketable. But there are some things that can lead to others, that in turn can be very profitable in the end. Take my path for an example. While I don't expect the podcast will necessarily be a cash cow, it can lead to other areas that might work. I am still working on things, and life has taken me away from things for a while, but I think there is possibilities for me to succeed here. This is my passion, and my knowledge on the subject matter is key to it working as it should. I have a unique situation that should yield the desired results in time. But I also have other potential sources working, if the podcast fails to provide what I had hoped it does. I know it will provide part of the puzzle, but just how much is the question that only work and time will answer. So my point would be, while it may be true that there are some passions that pay off, there are others that don't have the strength to provide enough to make it worth doing if income is important. But as long as your driving force is the passion, then you already have your pay off just in starting it. If it brings in an income that you can live on, that's just icing on the cake. But I do think there are some opportunities that can pay off more than flipping burgers. So to use another quote, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

                                              Regards,
                                              Ed

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 29, 2009
                                                On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Ed Morgan <parrotflock@...> wrote:
                                                > I have to agree, while disagreeing as well. I agree that doing what you love doesn't also yield a decent income, since not everything is going to be marketable. But there are some things that can lead to others, that in turn can be very profitable in the end.

                                                Sure. That's all fine and good and correct. All I was saying is that
                                                if your primary intent is to maximize income for time invested,
                                                podcasting is an inefficient and unreliable strategy. It *might*
                                                bring in a lot of money, but no one should count on it.

                                                http://www.escapepod.org
                                              • ma scrub
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 30, 2009
                                                  And I always like to point out that the "do what you love, the money will follow" theory never says how much money follows and maybe that money follows by way of a welfare check.  There are several things that I love to do that result in no money following me.