Re: [podcasters] Field recorder

  • P.D. Love
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1 12:48 PM
      H4 is pretty nice- even the built in mics are pretty awesome.

      PDL

      On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

> [...]

      P.D. Love
      The DaddyCast - http://www.TheDaddyCast.com
      LoveHouse Radio- http://lovehouseradio.com

    • Michael Johnson
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1 1:23 PM
        Unfortunately I have no idea what XLR or phantom power is.I just need a recorder that records excellent sound for interviews. I guess I have some research to do.

        Thanks
        Mike
        Learn the secrets to staying pure on campus in:
        The Cross Campus Ministry Podcast,
        A Podcast for Christian College Students and youth in itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

        > If phantom power and XLR are important to you, take a look at the Zoom H4.

        > It's a lot cheaper and can be used with a wide variety of mics. Plus it

        > looks like a tazer and can be used to scare off muggers as well as

        > potential

        > interviewees.

        Of course there are now two versions of the H4 out there .. the original and

        the new, improved H4n

        http://www.samsonte ch.com/products/ productpage. cfm?prodID= 1994

        Richard Amirault

        Boston, MA, USA

        http://n1jdu. org

        http://bostonfandom .org

        http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=J7hf9u2ZdlQ

      • Mike Sharpe
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1 2:58 PM
          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Michael Johnson <serviceyourac@...> wrote:

          > Unfortunately I have no idea what XLR or phantom power is.I just need a recorder that records excellent sound for interviews. I guess I have some research to do.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Mike
          > Learn the secrets to staying pure on campus in:
          > The Cross Campus Ministry Podcast,
          > A Podcast for Christian College Students and youth in itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

          I've had to buy stuff for my Bro's Band up a few times. This is jist of it. Remember that I'm a Non-Techie here, this may not be 100% Correct. I posted some links to help.

          Good Mics need a bit of power to pick up sound, I've come across a Mike with a battery in it. Phantom power draws the power out of the other end (such as the recording Device or Sound desk.) The power apparently comes from nowhere. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power

          OK, I assume you're extremely familiar with the 3.5mm jack in your personal stereo equipment. You should recognise the 1/4 inch version that is used. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

          These leads have one problem particularly if you're doing long distances, interference. XLR is a totally Different plug and is designed to prevent most of the interference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector

          Mike
          No Podcast Yet!
          Twitter - bignutter
        • Ed Morgan
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2 12:33 AM
            This is my understanding of these two, phantom power refers to the power certain mics get through the mixer. Not all mics are phantom powered, but if the one you have or want is, you will need a mixer that provides it for the mic. As for XLR, that is simply the type of cable connector most mics use. If I am wrong on these, I welcome anyone to correct me on this.

            Ed

            > Unfortunately I have no idea what XLR or phantom power is.I just need a recorder that records excellent sound for interviews. I guess I have some research to do.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Mike
            > Learn the secrets to staying pure on campus in:
            > The Cross Campus Ministry Podcast,
            > A Podcast for Christian College Students and youth in itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

            I've had to buy stuff for my Bro's Band up a few times. This is jist of it. Remember that I'm a Non-Techie here, this may not be 100% Correct. I posted some links to help.

            Good Mics need a bit of power to pick up sound, I've come across a Mike with a battery in it. Phantom power draws the power out of the other end (such as the recording Device or Sound desk.) The power apparently comes from nowhere. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power

            OK, I assume you're extremely familiar with the 3.5mm jack in your personal stereo equipment. You should recognise the 1/4 inch version that is used. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

            These leads have one problem particularly if you're doing long distances, interference. XLR is a totally Different plug and is designed to prevent most of the interference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector

            Mike
            No Podcast Yet!
            Twitter - bignutter

          • Richard Amirault
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2 5:00 AM
              From: "Ed Morgan"

              > This is my understanding of these two, phantom power refers to the power
              > certain mics get through the mixer. Not all mics are phantom powered, but
              > if the one you have or want is, you will need a mixer that provides it for
              > the mic. As for XLR, that is simply the type of cable connector most mics
              > use. If I am wrong on these, I welcome anyone to correct me on this.

              There are dynamic mics, which do not require any external, or internal,
              power .. and there are electret/capacitor mics that *do* require some power
              to work. Sometimes this is supplied by an internal battery, but if not, then
              it needs to be supplied thru the mic cable. This voltage can vary depending
              on the type of mic. "Professional" mics use 48 volt "phantom power"

              The XLR connector is a 3 pin connector that is used on "professional" mics.
              I don't know if I would agree that "most mics" use it, but certainly a large
              percentage of mics do. There are other mic connectors used in the world
              today ... a 1/4" plug and the 1/8" plug are two. I believe the mic
              connector in the Edirol R-09 is 1/8" stereo (the same as many camcorders)

              Richard Amirault
              Boston, MA, USA
              http://n1jdu.org
              http://bostonfandom.org
            • Kelly Pierce
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4 7:52 PM
                A few years ago I bought a Sony minidisc recorder. I use the Sony MZ-b100
                for all my field recording. With the L2 setting, I can record slightly
                more than 2.5 hours of audio at a time. I use and prefer a dynamic
                microphone so phantom power is not an issue for me. What I like about this
                recorder and the recordings of most minidisc recorders is the very low
                noise floor. There is very little noise created by the recorder itself on
                the recording. By contrast, the Zoom recorders have noticeable noise
                floors. When even the new N4 was compared to minidisc, the noise floor was
                much better compared to the other Zoom recorders but still noticeable
                compared to minidisc.

                I have been disappointed with digital field recorders because the sound
                floor is much higher and they seem not to be of the same quality of
                minidisc recorders of the same price range. I have been looking out for
                recorders in the event I need to replace my minidisc recorder. I admit
                that real-time transfer to a computer required by the minidisc technology
                is a hassle at times. I would prefer a digital recorder if the experience
                to the listener would be comparable to minidisc and my wallet would not be
                strenuously wounded. I believe the Sony PCM D50 comes closest to the
                minidisc sound at a pricepoint that is similar to the cost of my minidisc
                recorder, when adjusted for inflation.

                If you want quality recordings, consider this recorder. I believe the Zoom
                recorders create excessive background noise. The downside of the Sony PCM
                D50 is that it uses four double A batteries to power itself compared to the
                single double A battery of minidisc recorders. I consider this a minor
                negative when the ability to have quality .wav recording at an affordable
                price is considered.

                Kelly
                >> If phantom power and XLR are important to you, take a look at the Zoom
                >> H4.
                >> It's a lot cheaper and can be used with a wide variety of mics. Plus it
                >> looks like a tazer and can be used to scare off muggers as well as
                >> potential
                >> interviewees.
                >
                > Of course there are now two versions of the H4 out there .. the original
                > and
                > the new, improved H4n
                >
                > http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1994
                >
                > Richard Amirault
                > Boston, MA, USA
                > http://n1jdu.org
                > http://bostonfandom.org

              • Martin McKeay
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4 8:05 PM
                  Most often when I'm recording with the Zoom H4, it's in a crowded convention
                  hall and the last thing I'm worried about is the sound floor of the Zoom.
                  Not to discount that this is an important issue to some, but for my
                  purposes, it's a non-issue. It's wasn't even one of the things I was
                  thinking about when I got the H4. I will say that I find the built in mics
                  on the H4 to be nearly unusable due to their sensitivity, but coupled with a
                  Shure PG58, the Zoom is a great portable podcasting rig for me. For the my
                  micropodcasting rig, I use an iRiver 795 with a Giant Squid stereo mic. The
                  combo looks like someone's pipe at first glance. It's also incredibly
                  sensitive, but when I need something in an emergency, it works. I will
                  admit I'm usually more worried about just getting the interview or
                  conversation than I am about the quality.

                  Martin

                  Martin McKeay, CISSP, QSA, GSNA
                  Host of the Network Security Blog and Podcast
                  http://www.mckeay.net
                  Cell: 707-495-7926

                  On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Kelly Pierce <kellytalk@...> wrote:

                  > A few years ago I bought a Sony minidisc recorder. I use the Sony MZ-b100
                  > for all my field recording. With the L2 setting, I can record slightly
                  > more than 2.5 hours of audio at a time. I use and prefer a dynamic
                  > microphone so phantom power is not an issue for me. What I like about this
                  > recorder and the recordings of most minidisc recorders is the very low
                  > noise floor. There is very little noise created by the recorder itself on
                  > the recording. By contrast, the Zoom recorders have noticeable noise
                  > floors. When even the new N4 was compared to minidisc, the noise floor was
                  > much better compared to the other Zoom recorders but still noticeable
                  > compared to minidisc.
                  >
                  > I have been disappointed with digital field recorders because the sound
                  > floor is much higher and they seem not to be of the same quality of
                  > minidisc recorders of the same price range. I have been looking out for
                  > recorders in the event I need to replace my minidisc recorder. I admit
                  > that real-time transfer to a computer required by the minidisc technology
                  > is a hassle at times. I would prefer a digital recorder if the experience
                  > to the listener would be comparable to minidisc and my wallet would not be
                  > strenuously wounded. I believe the Sony PCM D50 comes closest to the
                  > minidisc sound at a pricepoint that is similar to the cost of my minidisc
                  > recorder, when adjusted for inflation.
                  >
                  > If you want quality recordings, consider this recorder. I believe the Zoom
                  > recorders create excessive background noise. The downside of the Sony PCM
                  > D50 is that it uses four double A batteries to power itself compared to the
                  > single double A battery of minidisc recorders. I consider this a minor
                  > negative when the ability to have quality .wav recording at an affordable
                  > price is considered.
                  >
                  > Kelly

                • Rich Wielgosz
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4 8:07 PM
                    On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 20:05 -0700, Martin McKeay wrote:

                    For the price the H4 is awesome.

                    Rich...

> [...]
                    > experience
                    > > to the listener would be comparable to minidisc and my wallet would
                    > not be
                    > > strenuously wounded. I believe the Sony PCM D50 comes closest to the
                    > > minidisc sound at a pricepoint that is similar to the cost of my
                    > minidisc
                    > > recorder, when adjusted for inflation.
                    > >
                    > > If you want quality recordings, consider this recorder. I believe
                    > the Zoom
                    > > recorders create excessive background noise. The downside of the
                    > Sony PCM
                    > > D50 is that it uses four double A batteries to power itself compared
                    > to the
                    > > single double A battery of minidisc recorders. I consider this a
                    > minor
                    > > negative when the ability to have quality .wav recording at an

                  • Richard Amirault
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 5 7:13 AM
                      From: "Kelly Pierce"

                      >A few years ago I bought a Sony minidisc recorder. I use the Sony MZ-b100
                      > for all my field recording. With the L2 setting, I can record slightly
                      > more than 2.5 hours of audio at a time. I use and prefer a dynamic
                      > microphone so phantom power is not an issue for me. What I like about
                      > this
                      > recorder and the recordings of most minidisc recorders is the very low
                      > noise floor. There is very little noise created by the recorder itself on
                      > the recording.

                      Yes, but ... your minidisc recorder has a major flaw .. you cannot access
                      the digital recording .. other than playing it back, in real time, in
                      analog, thru the speaker jack.

                      Richard Amirault
                      Boston, MA, USA
                      http://n1jdu.org
                      http://bostonfandom.org
                    • andrew clarke
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 5 11:42 AM
                        On Sun 2009-04-05 10:13:09 UTC-0400, Richard Amirault (ramirault@...) wrote:

                        > > A few years ago I bought a Sony minidisc recorder. I use the Sony
                        > > MZ-b100 for all my field recording. With the L2 setting, I can record
                        > > slightly more than 2.5 hours of audio at a time. I use and prefer a
                        > > dynamic microphone so phantom power is not an issue for me. What I
                        > > like about this recorder and the recordings of most minidisc recorders
                        > > is the very low noise floor. There is very little noise created by
                        > > the recorder itself on the recording.
                        >
                        > Yes, but ... your minidisc recorder has a major flaw .. you cannot
                        > access the digital recording .. other than playing it back, in real
                        > time, in analog, thru the speaker jack.

                        I'm not sure I'd call that a flaw as such. The lack of access to the
                        digital recording was by design. That is, assuming there is no
                        digital output on the MD player. And even if there was, the audio on
                        MiniDiscs is recorded using the ATRAC codec and so would need to be
                        converted on-the-fly to a raw PCM signal before any editing could be
                        done on a PC.

                        Otherwise, you're stuck with doing a digital-to-analog-to-digital
                        transfer, where the analog stage will raise the noise floor, probably
                        negating any advantage you gained.

                        Many DAT recorders have digital output, and their recordings are
                        already stored as raw PCM. However DAT has its own problems, mostly
                        related to the use of magnetic tape.

                        There is also Digital Compact Cassette (DCC), which is even less
                        practical than DAT, but may be historically interesting. :-)

                        Regards
                        Andrew
                      • Will Brown
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 5 5:58 PM
                          On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:
                          > For the my
                          > micropodcasting rig, I use an iRiver 795 with a Giant Squid stereo mic. The
                          > combo looks like someone's pipe at first glance. It's also incredibly
                          > sensitive, but when I need something in an emergency, it works.

                          Wow, now that's old-school OG podcasting gear right there!
                          For you newbies out there, the iRiver/Giant Squid setup was the
                          preferred configuration for field recording for the majority of
                          podcasters back in 2005 before Zoom, Edirol, etc came to market.
                          I still have mine tucked away in my bag just in case Armageddon breaks
                          out and I have to the Ham radio of podcasting.
                          Ah...the memories. :-)

                          Will

                          ======================
                          http://www.WillBrownOnline.com/ - All Things Me
                          http://www.CloudyDayArt.com - Poetry Podcast
                        • Martin McKeay
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 5 7:26 PM
                            At three and a half years and going, mine is one of the oldest security
                            podcasts. Security Now with Leo and Steve started almost exactly six months
                            before my podcast did and the Pauldotcom podcast started literally within a
                            couple of days of when I started. So there's a good reason I have some 'old
                            school' equipment.

                            It turned out to be a good thing that I had the iRiver last year. I had an
                            opportunity to talk to DHS Secretary Chertoff and when I got to the event I
                            realized the batteries on my Zoom were dead and I didn't have spares. The
                            iRiver only takes one battery and I was able to capture the whole discussion
                            with just a little power to spare. The moral: Always have a backup. And
                            preferably a backup of your backup.