Field recorder

  • Michael Johnson
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
      I'm getting ready to purchase the edirol r-09hr recorder for field recordings. Anyone have any experience with it?

      Thanks
      Mike
      Learn the secrets to staying pure on campus in:
      The Cross Campus Ministry Podcast,
      A Podcast for Christian College Students and youth in itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

    • Richard Amirault
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
        From: "Michael Johnson"

        > I'm getting ready to purchase the edirol r-09hr recorder for field
        > recordings. Anyone have any experience with it?

        Good choice. I have it's predicessor (R-09) and love it. Of course it does
        not take XLR directly, and has no phantom power, but if you can live with
        that it's a fine choice.

        Just try to plug your mic into the MIC input instead of the LINE input ...
        you get better levels that way (been there, done that, have the T-shirt ;-)
        I was able to salvage those recordings by bringing up the levels ... and,
        while the result was not perfect, goes to show how low the noise level is on
        this unit.

        PS. I bought ALL the accessories ... leather case .. external mic ... large
        carrying case .. the works!

        Richard Amirault
        Boston, MA, USA
        http://n1jdu.org
        http://bostonfandom.org
      • Martin McKeay
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
          If phantom power and XLR are important to you, take a look at the Zoom H4.
          It's a lot cheaper and can be used with a wide variety of mics. Plus it
          looks like a tazer and can be used to scare off muggers as well as potential
          interviewees.

          Martin

          On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

> [...]
        • Richard Amirault
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
            From: "Martin McKeay"

            > If phantom power and XLR are important to you, take a look at the Zoom H4.
            > It's a lot cheaper and can be used with a wide variety of mics. Plus it
            > looks like a tazer and can be used to scare off muggers as well as
            > potential
            > interviewees.

            Of course there are now two versions of the H4 out there .. the original and
            the new, improved H4n

            http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1994

            Richard Amirault
            Boston, MA, USA
            http://n1jdu.org
            http://bostonfandom.org
          • P.D. Love
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
              H4 is pretty nice- even the built in mics are pretty awesome.

              PDL

              On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Richard Amirault <ramirault@...>wrote:

> [...]

              P.D. Love
              The DaddyCast - http://www.TheDaddyCast.com
              LoveHouse Radio- http://lovehouseradio.com

            • Michael Johnson

                > If phantom power and XLR are important to you, take a look at the Zoom H4.

                > It's a lot cheaper and can be used with a wide variety of mics. Plus it

                > looks like a tazer and can be used to scare off muggers as well as

                > potential

                > interviewees.

                Of course there are now two versions of the H4 out there .. the original and

                the new, improved H4n

                http://www.samsonte ch.com/products/ productpage. cfm?prodID= 1994

                Richard Amirault

                Boston, MA, USA

                http://n1jdu. org

                http://bostonfandom .org

                http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=J7hf9u2ZdlQ

              • Mike Sharpe
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 1, 2009
                  --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Michael Johnson <serviceyourac@...> wrote:

                  > Unfortunately I have no idea what XLR or phantom power is.I just need a recorder that records excellent sound for interviews. I guess I have some research to do.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Mike
                  > Learn the secrets to staying pure on campus in:
                  > The Cross Campus Ministry Podcast,
                  > A Podcast for Christian College Students and youth in itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

                  I've had to buy stuff for my Bro's Band up a few times. This is jist of it. Remember that I'm a Non-Techie here, this may not be 100% Correct. I posted some links to help.

                  Good Mics need a bit of power to pick up sound, I've come across a Mike with a battery in it. Phantom power draws the power out of the other end (such as the recording Device or Sound desk.) The power apparently comes from nowhere. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power

                  OK, I assume you're extremely familiar with the 3.5mm jack in your personal stereo equipment. You should recognise the 1/4 inch version that is used. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

                  These leads have one problem particularly if you're doing long distances, interference. XLR is a totally Different plug and is designed to prevent most of the interference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector

                  Mike
                  No Podcast Yet!
                  Twitter - bignutter
                • Ed Morgan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 2, 2009
                    This is my understanding of these two, phantom power refers to the power certain mics get through the mixer. Not all mics are phantom powered, but if the one you have or want is, you will need a mixer that provides it for the mic. As for XLR, that is simply the type of cable connector most mics use. If I am wrong on these, I welcome anyone to correct me on this.

                    Ed

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 2, 2009
                      From: "Ed Morgan"

                      > This is my understanding of these two, phantom power refers to the power
                      > certain mics get through the mixer. Not all mics are phantom powered, but
                      > if the one you have or want is, you will need a mixer that provides it for
                      > the mic. As for XLR, that is simply the type of cable connector most mics
                      > use. If I am wrong on these, I welcome anyone to correct me on this.

                      There are dynamic mics, which do not require any external, or internal,
                      power .. and there are electret/capacitor mics that *do* require some power
                      to work. Sometimes this is supplied by an internal battery, but if not, then
                      it needs to be supplied thru the mic cable. This voltage can vary depending
                      on the type of mic. "Professional" mics use 48 volt "phantom power"

                      The XLR connector is a 3 pin connector that is used on "professional" mics.
                      I don't know if I would agree that "most mics" use it, but certainly a large
                      percentage of mics do. There are other mic connectors used in the world
                      today ... a 1/4" plug and the 1/8" plug are two. I believe the mic
                      connector in the Edirol R-09 is 1/8" stereo (the same as many camcorders)

                      Richard Amirault
                      Boston, MA, USA
                      http://n1jdu.org
                      http://bostonfandom.org
                    • Kelly Pierce
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                        A few years ago I bought a Sony minidisc recorder. I use the Sony MZ-b100
                        for all my field recording. With the L2 setting, I can record slightly
                        more than 2.5 hours of audio at a time. I use and prefer a dynamic
                        microphone so phantom power is not an issue for me. What I like about this
                        recorder and the recordings of most minidisc recorders is the very low
                        noise floor. There is very little noise created by the recorder itself on
                        the recording. By contrast, the Zoom recorders have noticeable noise
                        floors. When even the new N4 was compared to minidisc, the noise floor was
                        much better compared to the other Zoom recorders but still noticeable
                        compared to minidisc.

                        I have been disappointed with digital field recorders because the sound
                        floor is much higher and they seem not to be of the same quality of
                        minidisc recorders of the same price range. I have been looking out for
                        recorders in the event I need to replace my minidisc recorder. I admit
                        that real-time transfer to a computer required by the minidisc technology
                        is a hassle at times. I would prefer a digital recorder if the experience
                        to the listener would be comparable to minidisc and my wallet would not be
                        strenuously wounded. I believe the Sony PCM D50 comes closest to the
                        minidisc sound at a pricepoint that is similar to the cost of my minidisc
                        recorder, when adjusted for inflation.

                        If you want quality recordings, consider this recorder. I believe the Zoom
                        recorders create excessive background noise. The downside of the Sony PCM
                        D50 is that it uses four double A batteries to power itself compared to the
                        single double A battery of minidisc recorders. I consider this a minor
                        negative when the ability to have quality .wav recording at an affordable
                        price is considered.

                        Kelly
                        >> If phantom power and XLR are important to you, take a look at the Zoom
                        >> H4.
                        >> It's a lot cheaper and can be used with a wide variety of mics. Plus it
                        >> looks like a tazer and can be used to scare off muggers as well as
                        >> potential
                        >> interviewees.
                        >
                        > Of course there are now two versions of the H4 out there .. the original
                        > and
                        > the new, improved H4n
                        >
                        > http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1994
                        >
                        > Richard Amirault
                        > Boston, MA, USA
                        > http://n1jdu.org
                        > http://bostonfandom.org

                      • Martin McKeay
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                          Most often when I'm recording with the Zoom H4, it's in a crowded convention
                          hall and the last thing I'm worried about is the sound floor of the Zoom.
                          Not to discount that this is an important issue to some, but for my
                          purposes, it's a non-issue. It's wasn't even one of the things I was
                          thinking about when I got the H4. I will say that I find the built in mics
                          on the H4 to be nearly unusable due to their sensitivity, but coupled with a
                          Shure PG58, the Zoom is a great portable podcasting rig for me. For the my
                          micropodcasting rig, I use an iRiver 795 with a Giant Squid stereo mic. The
                          combo looks like someone's pipe at first glance. It's also incredibly
                          sensitive, but when I need something in an emergency, it works. I will
                          admit I'm usually more worried about just getting the interview or
                          conversation than I am about the quality.

                          Martin

                          Martin McKeay, CISSP, QSA, GSNA
                          Host of the Network Security Blog and Podcast
                          http://www.mckeay.net
                          Cell: 707-495-7926

                          On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Kelly Pierce <kellytalk@...> wrote:

                          > A few years ago I bought a Sony minidisc recorder. I use the Sony MZ-b100
                          > for all my field recording. With the L2 setting, I can record slightly
                          > more than 2.5 hours of audio at a time. I use and prefer a dynamic
                          > microphone so phantom power is not an issue for me. What I like about this
                          > recorder and the recordings of most minidisc recorders is the very low
                          > noise floor. There is very little noise created by the recorder itself on
                          > the recording. By contrast, the Zoom recorders have noticeable noise
                          > floors. When even the new N4 was compared to minidisc, the noise floor was
                          > much better compared to the other Zoom recorders but still noticeable
                          > compared to minidisc.
                          >
                          > I have been disappointed with digital field recorders because the sound
                          > floor is much higher and they seem not to be of the same quality of
                          > minidisc recorders of the same price range. I have been looking out for
                          > recorders in the event I need to replace my minidisc recorder. I admit
                          > that real-time transfer to a computer required by the minidisc technology
                          > is a hassle at times. I would prefer a digital recorder if the experience
                          > to the listener would be comparable to minidisc and my wallet would not be
                          > strenuously wounded. I believe the Sony PCM D50 comes closest to the
                          > minidisc sound at a pricepoint that is similar to the cost of my minidisc
                          > recorder, when adjusted for inflation.
                          >
                          > If you want quality recordings, consider this recorder. I believe the Zoom
                          > recorders create excessive background noise. The downside of the Sony PCM
                          > D50 is that it uses four double A batteries to power itself compared to the
                          > single double A battery of minidisc recorders. I consider this a minor
                          > negative when the ability to have quality .wav recording at an affordable
                          > price is considered.
                          >
                          > Kelly

                        • Rich Wielgosz
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                            On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 20:05 -0700, Martin McKeay wrote:

                            For the price the H4 is awesome.

                            Rich...

> [...]
                            > experience
                            > > to the listener would be comparable to minidisc and my wallet would
                            > not be
                            > > strenuously wounded. I believe the Sony PCM D50 comes closest to the
                            > > minidisc sound at a pricepoint that is similar to the cost of my
                            > minidisc
                            > > recorder, when adjusted for inflation.
                            > >
                            > > If you want quality recordings, consider this recorder. I believe
                            > the Zoom
                            > > recorders create excessive background noise. The downside of the
                            > Sony PCM
                            > > D50 is that it uses four double A batteries to power itself compared
                            > to the
                            > > single double A battery of minidisc recorders. I consider this a
                            > minor
                            > > negative when the ability to have quality .wav recording at an

                          • Richard Amirault
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 5, 2009
                              From: "Kelly Pierce"

                              >A few years ago I bought a Sony minidisc recorder. I use the Sony MZ-b100
                              > for all my field recording. With the L2 setting, I can record slightly
                              > more than 2.5 hours of audio at a time. I use and prefer a dynamic
                              > microphone so phantom power is not an issue for me. What I like about
                              > this
                              > recorder and the recordings of most minidisc recorders is the very low
                              > noise floor. There is very little noise created by the recorder itself on
                              > the recording.

                              Yes, but ... your minidisc recorder has a major flaw .. you cannot access
                              the digital recording .. other than playing it back, in real time, in
                              analog, thru the speaker jack.

                              Richard Amirault
                              Boston, MA, USA
                              http://n1jdu.org
                              http://bostonfandom.org
                            • andrew clarke
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 5, 2009
                                On Sun 2009-04-05 10:13:09 UTC-0400, Richard Amirault (ramirault@...) wrote:

                                > > A few years ago I bought a Sony minidisc recorder. I use the Sony
                                > > MZ-b100 for all my field recording. With the L2 setting, I can record
                                > > slightly more than 2.5 hours of audio at a time. I use and prefer a
                                > > dynamic microphone so phantom power is not an issue for me. What I
                                > > like about this recorder and the recordings of most minidisc recorders
                                > > is the very low noise floor. There is very little noise created by
                                > > the recorder itself on the recording.
                                >
                                > Yes, but ... your minidisc recorder has a major flaw .. you cannot
                                > access the digital recording .. other than playing it back, in real
                                > time, in analog, thru the speaker jack.

                                I'm not sure I'd call that a flaw as such. The lack of access to the
                                digital recording was by design. That is, assuming there is no
                                digital output on the MD player. And even if there was, the audio on
                                MiniDiscs is recorded using the ATRAC codec and so would need to be
                                converted on-the-fly to a raw PCM signal before any editing could be
                                done on a PC.

                                Otherwise, you're stuck with doing a digital-to-analog-to-digital
                                transfer, where the analog stage will raise the noise floor, probably
                                negating any advantage you gained.

                                Many DAT recorders have digital output, and their recordings are
                                already stored as raw PCM. However DAT has its own problems, mostly
                                related to the use of magnetic tape.

                                There is also Digital Compact Cassette (DCC), which is even less
                                practical than DAT, but may be historically interesting. :-)

                                Regards
                                Andrew
                              • Will Brown
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 5, 2009
                                  On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Martin McKeay <Martin@...> wrote:
                                  > For the my
                                  > micropodcasting rig, I use an iRiver 795 with a Giant Squid stereo mic. The
                                  > combo looks like someone's pipe at first glance. It's also incredibly
                                  > sensitive, but when I need something in an emergency, it works.

                                  Wow, now that's old-school OG podcasting gear right there!
                                  For you newbies out there, the iRiver/Giant Squid setup was the
                                  preferred configuration for field recording for the majority of
                                  podcasters back in 2005 before Zoom, Edirol, etc came to market.
                                  I still have mine tucked away in my bag just in case Armageddon breaks
                                  out and I have to the Ham radio of podcasting.
                                  Ah...the memories. :-)

                                  Will

                                  ======================
                                  http://www.WillBrownOnline.com/ - All Things Me
                                  http://www.CloudyDayArt.com - Poetry Podcast
                                • Martin McKeay
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 5, 2009
                                    At three and a half years and going, mine is one of the oldest security
                                    podcasts. Security Now with Leo and Steve started almost exactly six months
                                    before my podcast did and the Pauldotcom podcast started literally within a
                                    couple of days of when I started. So there's a good reason I have some 'old
                                    school' equipment.

                                    It turned out to be a good thing that I had the iRiver last year. I had an
                                    opportunity to talk to DHS Secretary Chertoff and when I got to the event I
                                    realized the batteries on my Zoom were dead and I didn't have spares. The
                                    iRiver only takes one battery and I was able to capture the whole discussion
                                    with just a little power to spare. The moral: Always have a backup. And
                                    preferably a backup of your backup.