Generic or Personalized Hit Test

  • janpolet
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 27, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      You might know me as the creator of the Hit Test used by Adam Curry in his Daily Source Code.
      In the last couple of years I've produced 160 Hit Tests.
      In this time I've been approached several times about creating a generic of personalized version of the Hit Test.
      Since Adam Curry has re-prioritized his shows and it's not certain if or when a new Daily Source Code will be released, it's also unclear if he will use the Hit Test again.
      That's a shame because many people seem to really like the little music quiz I create. But......this might be the opportunity to explore possibilities of creating a generic or personalized version of the Hit Test and spread the fun further across the podosphere.

      If there is a sufficient amount op podcasters that would want a Hit Test to spice up their show, it might be possible for me to create one for a fee small enough to make it intersting to all parties.

      To make such a version of the Hit Test a success, there'll have to be a few rules. For instance a certain Hit Test may only be used in a specific week to prevent repeats.

      I'd really like to hear your thoughts and feeling about it.
      I'd also like to know if you'd be interested or if you know of any host that might be.

      In short: what would be the best way to make more podcasters and listeners enjoy the Hit Test and make it worth the while of all parties.

      Please let me know and remember.....think with your heart.

      Jan Polet

      www.janpolet.com
      hittest@...
    • Walt Snider
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 27, 2009
        Heh, disregard the previous. I should read every once in a while I suppose.

        Personally, I'd assume you make money selling the music over iTunes and
        you'd be asking us to pay you while you profit from the affiliate link as
        well. Good luck with that, I'll just keep getting the Creative Commons stuff
        and using it in my multiple shows, I think this is a little silly. like
        paying a guy to break into your home and take your silverware.

        Walt Snider
        phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
        email: <mailto:walt@...> walt@...
        web: <http://www.waltsnider.com/> www.WaltSnider.com
        blog: <http://www.OffTheWalt.com> www.OffTheWalt.com
        podcasts: <http://www.korenewmedia.com/> www.KoreNewMedia.com

[...]

        hittest@... <mailto:hittest%40gmail.com>

      • Jan Polet
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 28, 2009
          Walt,

          It's a shame your view is based on an assumption. That is silly.
          You really don't know what you're talking about.
          Asking would be much better than assuming and forming an opinion.

          Jan Polet

        • Ed Morgan
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 28, 2009
            I don't know what it is you are trying to sell here. I am not familiar with it, nor what it would do for my show. Is it music? I won't make any assumptions, but I don't think I am alone in not knowing what this is exactly.

            Ed

[...]

          • the Encaffeinated ONE
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 28, 2009
              Sorry to see the somewhat harsh responses Jan is getting here -- this list
              has a habit of chewing out the new folks for some reason..

              As a listener of the DSC (well, when it was on..), I think I can add
              something here.

              Jan's Hit Test is a very well-produced, very quick quiz/gameshow. He plays a
              very, very short snippit of the beginning of a song, and gives you a chance
              to guess it. Adam Curry did this on his Daily Source Code show, and his
              guesses were often frighteningly accurate.

              Sometimes the songs have a theme, such as hits from 1987, or all around a
              particular artist.

              A basic scoring system has developed: 1 point for artist, 1 point for song,
              total 6 points (sometimes called "stars"). Sometimes there is the additional
              "guess the theme".

              Jan occasionally includes a historical fact or some other information during
              the reveal, in which he also plays a short mix of the song. He occasionally
              has had guests to do some of the reveals, such as one of the performers of
              the song.

              Jan does list links to where the songs can be purchased in the show notes
              for each episode, which is a valid basic revenue model.

              (There are similar quizzes on Coverville under the banner Coverville
              Challenge.)

              The validation that Adam Curry uses to allow playing even snippits of
              popular songs without licence is that it is for "education" or "commentary"
              purposes. Some might have an issue with that, Jan, and Adam has been known
              to just play unlicenced music without care of being fined (partially because
              he is quite wealthy and the fines would be pocket change to him).

              However, that might be difficult for shows which are considered Podsafe. Not
              sure about the specific laws, and besides Coverville I can't name another
              (independant) podcast which actually has BMI/ASCAP/SOCAN licencing. (Heck,
              even many pro podcasts, such as those from the CBC or BBC, can't figure out
              how to licence or whether it is worth licencing music.)

              So, Jan's Hit Test could be an interesting addition to mix up the show.
              However, since most podcasters make very little money, it would be hard to
              see how many could actually afford to pay any sort of fee.

              Good luck with it! I'd love to hear more Hit Tests, personally.

              -encaf1/MK

              On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Ed Morgan <parrotflock@...> wrote:

              > I don't know what it is you are trying to sell here. I am not familiar with
              > it, nor what it would do for my show. Is it music? I won't make any
              > assumptions, but I don't think I am alone in not knowing what this is
              > exactly.
              >
              > Ed

              "An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a
              narrow field." - Niels Bohr
              the Encaffeinated ONE <http://encaffeinated.ca>
              Host of THE WEIRD SHOW <http://theweirdshow.com> and Wandering Out
              Loud<http://encaffeinated.ca>
              Crew on The 9th HeroesCAST <http://www.heroescast.com>

              Secretary/Treasurer, Host on CHSR FM 97.9 <http://chsrfm.ca>
              Member, Giant Gnome Productions
              (Junior) Member, Darker Projects, <http://darkerprojects.com>Pendant Audio
              Productions <http://pendantaudio.com>, Broken Sea Audio<http://brokensea.com>
              *the Encaffeinated ONE*: Amateur Voice Actor, Podcaster, Amateur Writer
              Wannabe, SF/F Fan, UNIX wizard, Geek.

            • Jan Polet
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 28, 2009
                Encaffeinated ONE, Walt and Steve,

                I must say to me the responses are surprising.
                I'm wondering what I've done to deserve this.
                You talk about a habit of this list. I think I've decided I don't like this
                habit.

                Thanks Encaffeinated ONE for clearing up what the Hit Test is.
                You did it in a way that for me there's nothing to add really. :)

                I do want to clear up a thing about the iTunes links and "all the profit" I
                (must have) made by supplying them, as Walt stated.
                Over the years I've created 160 Hit Test.
                Each Hit Test consists of 3 tracks, which makes roughly 480 tracks in total.
                I've tried to supply all the iTunes links, but not all tracks are/were
                available in the iTunes database.

                Off the links that I could post I made about $58 in total, of which I really
                got about $45. De rest I can't get to.
                So the profit I made off those links translates to about $0.28 per Hit Test.

                Creating a 3.5 minute Hit Test takes me about 4 hours.
                I'm talking about searching for and selecting tracks, editing tracks back to
                30 second clips (this takes up most of the time), creating the 1 second
                clips, recording the Hit Test itself, creating the final audio file and
                uploading it and creating the iTunes links and updating the Hit Test Answers
                page.

                I can't spend that much time and get nothing in return, so I can't do it for
                free.
                So YES, you could see my original post as a sales pitch, I guess.
                But because de Hit Test has many fans and poeple seem to really miss it,
                plus the fact I've been approached many times with question about creating
                Hit Test for other shows, creating a generic version and therefore being
                able to spread the cost and make the fee acceptable to all parties may keep
                the Hit Test alive and make much more people enjoy it.

                In my original post I asked questions because I need input.
                I know people are interested but I want to find out how we could make it
                into something that would really work.

                If you don't appreciate that, that's fine with me. But don't go stating
                things you know nothing about as truths. That's just silly and I really
                don't appreciate that.

                So, if you have something positive to add, please do. I you agree with Walt
                and Steve, please don't ruin it for the rest of us.

                Thanks for reading this and remember...think with your heart.

                Jan Polet
                www.janpolet.com

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 28, 2009
                  Hi all,

                  A quote about this lovely group: "a lot of ignorant, nasty, sarcastic,
                  egotistical people in that group - i shut off email notices to avoid high
                  blood pressure".

                  I'm very sorry to hear this.
                  This is where I get off.

                  Bye all. It was really "lovely" meeting you all.

                  Jan Polet

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 28, 2009
                    I am new to the group too, and have had no problem with anyone here. People have been responsive to my questions, and quite understanding when it comes to my ignorance to some of the technical aspects of podcasting. But then, my first post wasn't a sales pitch for a product either. I think if I had something like that, I might wait and participate a little, just to get the lay of the land, so to speak. People respond to these things differently, and while I guess Jan is gone now, I find this reaction to some of the more negative comments to be rather cowardly. I'm not going to say anymore, as this is not my fight. But I just have to wonder what Jan expected with the first post after joining is a sales ad. You have to know some people aren't going to appreciate that. Oh well.

                    Ed

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 29, 2009
                      Right on, Ed. I'm guessing Jan is not actually gone but testing the waters to see if he has any sympathy out there.
                      You take the right approach to things, exactly what I do.

                      Ed, what's your show and what do you do over there?

                      Walt Snider
                      phone: (954) SPY-NEWS
                      email: walt@...
                      web: www.WaltSnider.com
                      blog: www.OffTheWalt.com
                      podcasts: www.KoreNewMedia.com

                      To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
                      From: parrotflock@...
                      Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 01:15:03 -0500

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 29, 2009
                        Not an attack, Jan, but a genuine point of curiosity:

                        If your Hit Test idea has such proven value and popular appeal -- and
                        I'm willing to accept on faith that it does, I'm not being sarcastic
                        with that -- how is it in your best interest to syndicate your
                        intellectual property to another podcaster and let them get all the
                        benefit from your work? Given that the key value of podcasting is
                        cheap and effective distribution, why not cut out the middleman and
                        develop your own podcast?

                        I actually think this would make the presentation better and more
                        likely to succeed. Most of the podcasts that succeed aren't "variety
                        shows" -- they consist of one idea, executed well. And many of the
                        top hitters are just a few minutes long. (Grammar Girl and her Quick
                        and Dirty Tips network comes to mind.) I know that in my own case,
                        the shorter the podcast the more likely I am to keep it in my
                        playlist.

                        You don't need someone else to piggyback on. If _you_ believe in your
                        idea, then keep doing it. Do it your way, and build an audience that
                        wants what _you_ do.

                        And don't be so touchy about criticism. That's also not an attack;
                        it's just a fact that saying anything in public is going to create an
                        opportunity for people to disagree with you. Not all of that
                        disagreement will be well-informed or make sense. Shrug it off and do
                        your thing. If you believe in yourself, it shouldn't matter what
                        smartasses (a category in which I include myself) say about it.

                        http://www.escapepod.org
                      • shepdave2003
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 29, 2009
                          As a long-time podcaster and a long-time lurker on this group, I am amazed at the snarky vitriol Jan Polet encountered when he posted to the group for the first time.

                          WAAAAYY back eons ago, in 2005, when podcasting was getting started, Jan Polet was a regular contributor to the Daily Source Code. He was a big deal and the hit test was a big deal. The issue of playing clips from licensed music became a (temporary?) problem, and therefore Adam Curry dropped the hit test from the DSC. But it was a creative and important contribution to early podcasting, and I am dumbfounded that nobody seems to know what a hit test is or who Jan Polet is.

                          I don't blame him for checking out of this list. I'm starting to think about unsubscribing from the digest myself.

                          Stephen Eley, who has always been a steady voice of reason on this list, made a very reasoned response to Jan. I do hope that, if Jan is still reading the list, he will engage in conversation with Steve and not be put off by the sort of "Welcome to the group, now f*** you" kind of welcome Jan got this week.

                          Jan, I would like to hear more about your concept. Not that I'm likely to use a hit test on my own podcast necessarily, just because I want to see what you are thinking about doing with the idea.

                          Dave Shepherd
                          http://thewordnerds.org

                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Jan Polet <hittest@...> wrote:

                          > Encaffeinated ONE, Walt and Steve,
                          >
                          > I must say to me the responses are surprising.
                          > I'm wondering what I've done to deserve this.
                          > You talk about a habit of this list. I think I've decided I don't like this
                          > habit.
                          >
                          > Thanks Encaffeinated ONE for clearing up what the Hit Test is.
                          > You did it in a way that for me there's nothing to add really. :)
                          >
                          > I do want to clear up a thing about the iTunes links and "all the profit" I
                          > (must have) made by supplying them, as Walt stated.
                          > Over the years I've created 160 Hit Test.
                          > Each Hit Test consists of 3 tracks, which makes roughly 480 tracks in total.
                          > I've tried to supply all the iTunes links, but not all tracks are/were
                          > available in the iTunes database.
                          >
                          > Off the links that I could post I made about $58 in total, of which I really
                          > got about $45. De rest I can't get to.
                          > So the profit I made off those links translates to about $0.28 per Hit Test.
                          >
                          > Creating a 3.5 minute Hit Test takes me about 4 hours.
                          > I'm talking about searching for and selecting tracks, editing tracks back to
                          > 30 second clips (this takes up most of the time), creating the 1 second
                          > clips, recording the Hit Test itself, creating the final audio file and
                          > uploading it and creating the iTunes links and updating the Hit Test Answers
                          > page.
                          >
                          > I can't spend that much time and get nothing in return, so I can't do it for
                          > free.
                          > So YES, you could see my original post as a sales pitch, I guess.
                          > But because de Hit Test has many fans and poeple seem to really miss it,
                          > plus the fact I've been approached many times with question about creating
                          > Hit Test for other shows, creating a generic version and therefore being
                          > able to spread the cost and make the fee acceptable to all parties may keep
                          > the Hit Test alive and make much more people enjoy it.
                          >
                          > In my original post I asked questions because I need input.
                          > I know people are interested but I want to find out how we could make it
                          > into something that would really work.
                          >
                          > If you don't appreciate that, that's fine with me. But don't go stating
                          > things you know nothing about as truths. That's just silly and I really
                          > don't appreciate that.
                          >
                          > So, if you have something positive to add, please do. I you agree with Walt
                          > and Steve, please don't ruin it for the rest of us.
                          >
                          > Thanks for reading this and remember...think with your heart.
                          >
                          > Jan Polet
                          > www.janpolet.com
                        • Ed Morgan
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 29, 2009
                            Hi, Walt. First, don't take my last post personally, I was just kidding about the world thing. After I sent it, I was worried you or someone else might not like it. I hope not, as no harm was intended. As for my podcast, I am starting one on parrots, as they are my personal passion. We take in abused, neglected, and unwanted birds and I have over 20 years experience working with them. I had wanted to have things up and running by now, but am trying to make sure I do this right, and am working on a few last things before I post my first one. I will be post once a week, if all goes well.

                            Regards,
                            Ed

                            From: parrotflock@...
                            Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 01:15:03 -0500

> [...]

                            > even many pro podcasts, such as those from the CBC or BBC, can't figure out

                            > how to licence or whether it is worth licencing music.)

                            > So, Jan's Hit Test could be an interesting addition to mix up the show.

                            > However, since most podcasters make very little money, it would be hard to

                            > see how many could actually afford to pay any sort of fee.

                            > Good luck with it! I'd love to hear more Hit Tests, personally.

                            > -encaf1/MK

                            > On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Ed Morgan <parrotflock@...<parrotflock%40gmail.com>>

                            > wrote:

                            > > I don't know what it is you are trying to sell here. I am not familiar

                            > with

                            > > it, nor what it would do for my show. Is it music? I won't make any

                            > > assumptions, but I don't think I am alone in not knowing what this is

                          • Paul Puri
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 29, 2009
                              On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM, shepdave2003 <shepdave@...> wrote:

                              > As a long-time podcaster and a long-time lurker on this group, I am amazed
                              > at the snarky vitriol Jan Polet encountered when he posted to the group for
                              > the first time.

                              I had a nice Twitter chat with Jan and convinced him that the group is not a
                              bunch of half cocked gun toting 'mericans. We're just a bunch of down home
                              folk trying to make our way through the galaxy.
                              He just does not do well with negativity, and I don't blame him.

                              He is considering coming back, but what was important was what he was trying
                              to get across. Was it plausible to institute some sort of micro payment
                              syndication? My words, not his. Selling content to a large enough group so
                              as to generate a little money for time spent. The more that accepted, the
                              lower the price. Frankly I like the idea, but it seemed to come off as a
                              sales pitch in the beginning. That was not his intention.

                              I am a big fan of Jan, and he does quality work. I used to enjoy his segment
                              on the DSC. He can be a great asset to the group, as a many great people
                              are. I'm not going to comment on what was said to cause the negativity, as I
                              am much more thick skinned then most, but if he does decide to come back, I
                              encourage others to treat him with the general respect we all give to each
                              other. This is our sandbox, not a litterbox.

                              ;>)

                              --
                              Paul Puri

                              Blog - http://paulpuri.blogspot.com

                              Buy stuff from me - http://podsafegear.com

                              Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulpuri

                              Friendfeed - http://friendfeed.com/paulpuri

                            • andrew clarke
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 29, 2009
                                On Sun 2009-03-29 20:56:54 UTC-0000, shepdave2003 (shepdave@...) wrote:

                                > WAAAAYY back eons ago, in 2005, when podcasting was getting started,
                                > Jan Polet was a regular contributor to the Daily Source Code. He was a
                                > big deal and the hit test was a big deal. The issue of playing clips
                                > from licensed music became a (temporary?) problem, and therefore Adam
                                > Curry dropped the hit test from the DSC. But it was a creative and
                                > important contribution to early podcasting, and I am dumbfounded that
                                > nobody seems to know what a hit test is or who Jan Polet is.

                                All the same, let's not make people who are unfamilar with the
                                "pioneers" of podcasting feel unwelcome here.

                                Regards
                                Andrew

                                (podcasters@yahoogroups.com owner)
                              • janpolet
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 30, 2009
                                  I've rejoined the group.
                                  I've also posted a message re-intoroducing myself and esplaining what it is I'm trying to do.
                                  Hopefully the post will be available soon, but since I'm new here, it might take a couple of hours I understand.

                                  Jan Polet

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 30, 2009
                                    Are you kidding me? Feel unwelcome?

                                    Jan Polet was attacked after the very post he made to this group for a post that I, honestly, do not read as any kind of sales pitch. If you read it that way, sorry. But it truly was what Paul Puri described it as: a proposal for some kind of scheme to use micropayments in podcasting.

                                    Jan asked our opinions. He said he wanted to see if there was interest. For this he was vilified as a spammer.

                                    For what it's worth, my response to these screeds was the first post I've made to the Yahoo podcasters' list in about six months.

                                    I'm not sure exactly who is making whom feel unwelcome.

                                    Dave Shepherd
                                    http://thewordnerds.org

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 30, 2009
                                      On Mon 2009-03-30 12:37:03 UTC-0000, shepdave2003 (shepdave@...) wrote:

                                      > Are you kidding me? Feel unwelcome?
                                      >
                                      > Jan Polet was attacked after the very post he made to this group for a
                                      > post that I, honestly, do not read as any kind of sales pitch. If you
                                      > read it that way, sorry. But it truly was what Paul Puri described it
                                      > as: a proposal for some kind of scheme to use micropayments in
                                      > podcasting.

                                      I have no real opinion on that.

                                      I was replying to your comment where you were surprised that some
                                      members of this list may be unfamilar with Jan Polet.

                                      My point was that list members should not need to be familiar with
                                      him, or any of the early podcasters (Adam Curry, Dave Winer, etc) in
                                      order to participate here. That is all.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 30, 2009
                                        On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:37 AM, shepdave2003 <shepdave@...> wrote:
                                        > Are you kidding me? Feel unwelcome?

                                        Folks. Let's relax. This is all getting very meta.

                                        ...Hey, did anyone see that Merlin Mann's restarted his 43 Folders
                                        podcast? This is good news to me -- his was easily the most
                                        entertaining of the productivity podcasts. (The Get-It-Done Guy from
                                        Grammar Girl's network comes in a close second.)

                                        I'd enjoyed it enough that when I saw he was posting episodes again, I
                                        redownloaded and listened to all of the old ones again. Didn't take
                                        long -- except for the David Allen interviews and a couple of
                                        hour-long lectures, I was able to hear them all in about an hour in
                                        the car.

                                        (This subject change was brought to you by the letter 'Q.')

                                        http://www.escapepod.org
                                      • Jonathon_M_Johnson@comcast.net
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 30, 2009
                                          Hello all-

                                          Lurker here... LOL

                                          I am on Jan's side.

                                          If you don't like what someone has to say, then don't read it.

                                          Who says that the other people are perfect.

                                          Cheers

                                          Jonathon M. Johnson
                                          Colorado

                                          Jan Polet was attacked after the very post he made to this group for a post that I, honestly, do not read as any kind of sales pitch. If you read it that way, sorry. But it truly was what Paul Puri described it as: a proposal for some kind of scheme to use micropayments in podcasting.

                                          Jan asked our opinions. He said he wanted to see if there was interest. For this he was vilified as a spammer.

                                          For what it's worth, my response to these screeds was the first post I've made to the Yahoo podcasters' list in about six months.

                                          I'm not sure exactly who is making whom feel unwelcome.

                                          Dave Shepherd
                                          http://thewordnerds.org

                                          --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com , andrew clarke <mail@...> wrote:

                                          > On Sun 2009-03-29 20:56:54 UTC-0000, shepdave2003 (shepdave@...) wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > WAAAAYY back eons ago, in 2005, when podcasting was getting started,
                                          > > Jan Polet was a regular contributor to the Daily Source Code. He was a
                                          > > big deal and the hit test was a big deal. The issue of playing clips
                                          > > from licensed music became a (temporary?) problem, and therefore Adam
                                          > > Curry dropped the hit test from the DSC. But it was a creative and
                                          > > important contribution to early podcasting, and I am dumbfounded that
                                          > > nobody seems to know what a hit test is or who Jan Polet is.
                                          >
                                          > All the same, let's not make people who are unfamilar with the
                                          > "pioneers" of podcasting feel unwelcome here.
                                          >
                                          > Regards
                                          > Andrew
                                          >
                                          > ( podcasters@yahoogroups.com owner)

                                        • Todd Cochrane
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 1, 2009
                                            Dave just post anything in here related to a podcaster trying to make
                                            money or those trying to help podcasters make money, and unless your
                                            part of a certain group here you get blasted.