Re: [podcasters] Terminology help

  • Richard Amirault
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
      From: "Nomad Scry"
      (snip)
      > I can't record anything decent on my big XP box because of the hum I
      > get from being plugged into the wall. So I am trying to use the eeepc,
      > unplugged from the wall. While the sound is nice and clear, it is also
      > extremely quiet. More importantly, it is being recorded at half-time.
      (snip)

      What football game are you watching ? ("half-time";-)

      Is the power connector on the XP box a 3 way, a polarized 2 way, or a
      non-polarized 2 way? Often turning a 2 way 180 degrees can fix a hum. OR
      removing the ground connection by plugging your 3 way plug into a 3 way to 2
      way adaptor (available at any hardware store .. and many drug and food
      stores) with the adaptors 3'rd connector *not* connected to anything.

      Richard Amirault
      Boston, MA, USA
      http://n1jdu.org
      http://bostonfandom.org
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
        On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 13:35 -0500, Richard Amirault wrote:

        An IEC cable without a grounding pin? Never seen one.

        If all of your devices are plugged into the same outlet, there can be
        no ground loop. That's a much safer way to go than using one of those 3
        to 2 adapters. There's a reason we starting using grounded plugs in
        this country. :-)

        If you still get the 60-hz hum after plugging them all into the same
        outlet, then the signal is probably some sort EM field being induced
        into the system. Then you have to find the source of that and eliminate
        it.

        Rich...

      • Nomad Scry
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
          I'd love to be able to use both, but I picked up the Snowflake to use with my eee.

          Everything on the XP box is plugged into a single surge protector plugged into a single outlet. I highly doubt the grounding in this old house works properly. Maybe a good UPC would help...

          But I am much more concerned with the effect on the eee. I don't know what to call the way that the input is being recorded in "slow-mo." Every second of real time is recorded as two seconds of audio. When I play it back, it sound like I am trying to find the demonic messages hidden in my audio. Is it possible that the ... rate that samples are being polled over the USB doesn't match up to the sample rate?

          Thanks for your brain powers.
          Scry