Terminology help

  • Nomad Scry
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
      Hey folks,
      I have a Blue Snowflake USB mic, noisy powerlines, an Asus eeepc
      running the latest Crunchbang Linux with one of the later beta
      versions of Audacity.

      I can't record anything decent on my big XP box because of the hum I
      get from being plugged into the wall. So I am trying to use the eeepc,
      unplugged from the wall. While the sound is nice and clear, it is also
      extremely quiet. More importantly, it is being recorded at half-time.

      I'd go poke the forums to find help, but I don't even know what to
      call this problem. Does anyone know what the name for this? If I
      select all and run the effect "Change Speed" at 100%, it fixes the
      sound.

      Thanks.

      --
      Find more information at http://www.BrainWyrms.com/
      Joe DiMaggio - "Pair up in threes."
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
        On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 10:54 -0500, Nomad Scry wrote:

        So do you want to record in linux, or XP?

        If you can plug all of your devices into the same AC outlet, that
        should eliminate that ground loop problem.

        Me...

        > Hey folks,
        > I have a Blue Snowflake USB mic, noisy powerlines, an Asus eeepc
        > running the latest Crunchbang Linux with one of the later beta
        > versions of Audacity.
        >
        > I can't record anything decent on my big XP box because of the hum I
        > get from being plugged into the wall. So I am trying to use the eeepc,
        > unplugged from the wall. While the sound is nice and clear, it is also
        > extremely quiet. More importantly, it is being recorded at half-time.
        >
        > I'd go poke the forums to find help, but I don't even know what to
        > call this problem. Does anyone know what the name for this? If I
        > select all and run the effect "Change Speed" at 100%, it fixes the
        > sound.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > --
        > Find more information at http://www.BrainWyrms.com/
        > Joe DiMaggio - "Pair up in threes."

      • Richard Amirault
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
          From: "Nomad Scry"
          (snip)
          > I can't record anything decent on my big XP box because of the hum I
          > get from being plugged into the wall. So I am trying to use the eeepc,
          > unplugged from the wall. While the sound is nice and clear, it is also
          > extremely quiet. More importantly, it is being recorded at half-time.
          (snip)

          What football game are you watching ? ("half-time";-)

          Is the power connector on the XP box a 3 way, a polarized 2 way, or a
          non-polarized 2 way? Often turning a 2 way 180 degrees can fix a hum. OR
          removing the ground connection by plugging your 3 way plug into a 3 way to 2
          way adaptor (available at any hardware store .. and many drug and food
          stores) with the adaptors 3'rd connector *not* connected to anything.

          Richard Amirault
          Boston, MA, USA
          http://n1jdu.org
          http://bostonfandom.org
        • Rich
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
            On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 13:35 -0500, Richard Amirault wrote:

            An IEC cable without a grounding pin? Never seen one.

            If all of your devices are plugged into the same outlet, there can be
            no ground loop. That's a much safer way to go than using one of those 3
            to 2 adapters. There's a reason we starting using grounded plugs in
            this country. :-)

            If you still get the 60-hz hum after plugging them all into the same
            outlet, then the signal is probably some sort EM field being induced
            into the system. Then you have to find the source of that and eliminate
            it.

            Rich...

          • Nomad Scry
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2009
              I'd love to be able to use both, but I picked up the Snowflake to use with my eee.

              Everything on the XP box is plugged into a single surge protector plugged into a single outlet. I highly doubt the grounding in this old house works properly. Maybe a good UPC would help...

              But I am much more concerned with the effect on the eee. I don't know what to call the way that the input is being recorded in "slow-mo." Every second of real time is recorded as two seconds of audio. When I play it back, it sound like I am trying to find the demonic messages hidden in my audio. Is it possible that the ... rate that samples are being polled over the USB doesn't match up to the sample rate?

              Thanks for your brain powers.
              Scry