Re: [podcasters] Video and audio episodes in the same feed?

  • Pat Cook
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi everyone:

      There no such thing as a MP3 video Michael.

      Cheers :D

      Pat

      From: mbritt1216 <michael.britt@...>
      To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 12:12 PM

      Lately I've been doing more video episodes, in part because

      screencasting has become easier to do (with ScreenFlow, iShowU, etc.).

      So I've been mixing up audio and video episodes in my same feed. For

      video episodes I just put "(video)" in the title so that people know

      that they should go to the Video menu in their iPods to see the episode.

      Is that okay, or does anyone see a problem with doing that?

      Also, I'm thinking of making a switch to an all-video podcast. Could

      that be a problem? I'm worried that if someone subscribed to my

      podcast a year ago and they did so in part because they prefer audio

      podcasts, they might unsubscribe if I go all-video.

      Thanks for your input.

      Michael

      www.thepsychfiles. com

    • Michael Johnson
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
        Your right but you can take a vid and turn it into an mp3 only with the right software, i do it all the time. The software takes the audio out and makes it into an mp3 file
        Mike
        crosscampusministry.com

        From: mbritt1216 <michael.britt@...>
        To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wednesday, February 25,
      • Michael Johnson
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
          I mentioned that to bring out the idea that he doesnt have to record two shows-one vid and one audio.
          He could just shoot his video and export it twice: once as a vid and once as audio only.
          Mike
          crosscampusministry.com

          From: mbritt1216 <michael.britt@...>
          To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wednesday, February 25,
        • Pat Cook
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
            Hi everyone:

            True HOWEVER if his show is a SEPARATE show like DnD TV is, he'll want to have a second feed. Otherwise people will be stuck downloading BOTH audio & video whether they like it or not.

            Now, my podcasts are mostly video (Mainly because I find video to be much more interactive & it puts a face to the voice, but hey, like Karma, IT'S ALL GOOD ), but the few times I podcast in audio only (Which for the reason above has been RARE), I **ALWAYS** have a SEPARATE feed.

            I may post both audio & video podcast links on my Blogger pages since those are easily customizable whereas the page (assuming I even get one) on my podcast host site may not be, but that doesn't affect the RSS feed because Blogger's RSS feed URL (Even when burned) usually doesn't detect any enclosures (I know this from past experience of people complaining to me about their inability to download ANY of the enclosures via RSS). As such, I use the feed provided by the podcast host & put that in the side panel on Blogger.

            But getting back to the subject at hand, YES some people do make audio & video versions of THE SAME show, but that's not necessarily true in EVERY case though.

            Just my $.02 worth.....

            Cheers :D

            Pat Cook
            patsblogs@...
            Denver, CO
            BLOGS & PODCASTS
            AS MY WORLD TURNS - http://asmyworldturnsblog.blogspot.com/
            AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com/
            THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE - http://www.geocities.com/theleftwingconservative/

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
              Getting back to the original post: My blog (Shawnogram) has
              multimedia/podcast elements. I do have audio and video files together in the
              main feed, but I use WordPress category feeds to create RSS feeds for just
              the video files and just the audio files. Gives people the option to
              subscribe to whatever type of content they'd like. Follow the URL in my
              signature to see examples. It's all in the sidebar.

              And overall, I don't think there's anything wrong with having mixed media in
              the same feed. I've never been upset about receiving MORE content from a
              feed that I'm subscribed to. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to include
              both video and audio files of the exact same stuff in the same feed, though.
              That'd be annoying.

              --
              -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
              Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

              Shawnogram - Content = life.
              http://www.shawnogram.com/