Re: [podcasters] Video and audio episodes in the same feed?

  • Pat Cook
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi everyone:

      Well it can be a problem if you use free hosting from WordPress or Blogger. In fact, Blogger's own RSS feed doesn't even see the enclosure in a given post (I know this having had a few people complain about it because it wasn't burned as a FeedBurner URL).

      This would be COMPOUNDED by the very fact that some podcast hosts (Free or pay) are audio only & some are video only. If you are with one that handles both, you're okay. But if you're not, my suggestion would be to move to one that DOES handle both.

      Lastly (And IDEALLY), you really should SEPARATE feeds for your audio & video podcasts. This way, those who only want to subscribe to your audio podcast will only get audio files while those who want to subscribe to your video podcast will get only video files.

      Those who want both audio & video can simply subscribe to BOTH feeds.

      Hope this helps....

      Cheers :D

      Pat Cook
      patsblogs@...
      Denver, CO
      BLOGS & PODCASTS
      AS MY WORLD TURNS - http://asmyworldturnsblog.blogspot.com/
      AS MY WEIGHT LOSS WORLD TURNS - http://asmyweightlossworldturns.blogspot.com/
      THE LEFT WING CONSERVATIVE - http://www.geocities.com/theleftwingconservative/

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
        Hi everyone:

        There no such thing as a MP3 video Michael.

        Cheers :D

        Pat

        Im not as knowlegeable as some of these guys in technical matters but i do listen to your show and if it goes completely video i probably wont for the simple fact that im always on the go and i want to use my ipod. the videos tend to drain my ipod battery. of course you could make your vids and just encode them into an mp3 as well and do both

        Thanks
        Mike
        Cross Campus Ministry Podcast,
        A Podcast for Christian College Students and youth in itunes and at crosscampusministry.com

        totalcleanair.com

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
          Your right but you can take a vid and turn it into an mp3 only with the right software, i do it all the time. The software takes the audio out and makes it into an mp3 file
          Mike
          crosscampusministry.com

          From: mbritt1216 <michael.britt@...>
          To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wednesday, February 25,
        • Michael Johnson
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
            I mentioned that to bring out the idea that he doesnt have to record two shows-one vid and one audio.
            He could just shoot his video and export it twice: once as a vid and once as audio only.
            Mike
            crosscampusministry.com

            From: mbritt1216 <michael.britt@...>
            To: podcasters@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wednesday, February 25,
          • Pat Cook
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
              Hi everyone:

              True HOWEVER if his show is a SEPARATE show like DnD TV is, he'll want to have a second feed. Otherwise people will be stuck downloading BOTH audio & video whether they like it or not.

              Now, my podcasts are mostly video (Mainly because I find video to be much more interactive & it puts a face to the voice, but hey, like Karma, IT'S ALL GOOD ), but the few times I podcast in audio only (Which for the reason above has been RARE), I **ALWAYS** have a SEPARATE feed.

              I may post both audio & video podcast links on my Blogger pages since those are easily customizable whereas the page (assuming I even get one) on my podcast host site may not be, but that doesn't affect the RSS feed because Blogger's RSS feed URL (Even when burned) usually doesn't detect any enclosures (I know this from past experience of people complaining to me about their inability to download ANY of the enclosures via RSS). As such, I use the feed provided by the podcast host & put that in the side panel on Blogger.

              But getting back to the subject at hand, YES some people do make audio & video versions of THE SAME show, but that's not necessarily true in EVERY case though.

              Just my $.02 worth.....

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
                Getting back to the original post: My blog (Shawnogram) has
                multimedia/podcast elements. I do have audio and video files together in the
                main feed, but I use WordPress category feeds to create RSS feeds for just
                the video files and just the audio files. Gives people the option to
                subscribe to whatever type of content they'd like. Follow the URL in my
                signature to see examples. It's all in the sidebar.

                And overall, I don't think there's anything wrong with having mixed media in
                the same feed. I've never been upset about receiving MORE content from a
                feed that I'm subscribed to. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to include
                both video and audio files of the exact same stuff in the same feed, though.
                That'd be annoying.

                --
                -Shawn "Shawno" Thorpe
                Hyper Nonsense - Talk/comedy podcast from central California

                Shawnogram - Content = life.
                http://www.shawnogram.com/