Standard/Template Contract for Licensing a Song for a podcast?

  • Calvin Powers
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2009
      Can anyone point me to an example/template contract for licensing a song
      from an artist to be played on a podcast. I'm looking to license an
      instrumental as a theme for my show and also want to license music to
      feature on the podcast.
      Currently, I just email the artist and say , hey, can I play your music on
      my podcast? And f they reply yes, I keep their reply in case anyone ever
      raises any questions. That seems fine in most cases, but in some cases I'd
      like a more formal license.

      Thanks,
      Calvin

      --
      tune in to the finest roots rock, alt.country, deep blues and righteous soul
      at www.taprootradio.com

    • Erk Pod
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 19, 2009
        Calvin

        I don't know where you get your music from currently but for a music
        show, I'd much rather sign up for a network or organisation that
        caters for music podcasters. Terms and conditions may vary between
        different sites so that would be something to check but if you and the
        artist have both signed up for a site, that would be a lot easier to
        argue if need be down the track. There are plenty of quality tracks
        out there and who knows what you will find. If anything can make it
        easier to find pre-cleared podsafe music, those pre-cleared podsafe
        music sites are worth their weight in gold.

        --
        Erk, Sydney (Australia)

        host of the Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Erk's Blast From The
        Past podcasts on Channel Erk.

        http://www.channelerk.com
        erkpod@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 19, 2009
          On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Calvin Powers <calvin@...> wrote:
          > Can anyone point me to an example/template contract for licensing a song
          > from an artist to be played on a podcast. I'm looking to license an
          > instrumental as a theme for my show and also want to license music to
          > feature on the podcast.
          > Currently, I just email the artist and say , hey, can I play your music on
          > my podcast? And f they reply yes, I keep their reply in case anyone ever
          > raises any questions. That seems fine in most cases, but in some cases I'd
          > like a more formal license.

          There's a book from Nolo Press called _Getting Permission._ It has
          boilerplate agreements for all kinds of licensing and clearance
          issues, including lots and lots of stuff on music.

          http://www.escapepod.org
        • Calvin Powers
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 19, 2009
            > There's a book from Nolo Press called _Getting Permission._ It has
            > boilerplate agreements for all kinds of licensing and clearance
            > issues, including lots and lots of stuff on music.

            You da man Steve, Thanks!

            righteous soul at www.taprootradio.com