Re: [podcasters] Why use a blog to support my podcast?

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2009
      On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:05 PM, mbritt1216
      <michael.britt@...> wrote:
      > I'm starting to wonder whether I should use a blog for my podcast.
      > I'm up to 85 episodes, so despite the use of categories and tags I
      > think it's probably hard for people to find what they want on the
      > site.

      Not sure why you think this is the case. The search function on your
      site seems to be working just fine. Looking at the source for one of
      your episode posts, you *could* be better utilizing the All-In-One SEO
      plugin to make your episodes / subjects / keywords easier to find in
      the search engines. Also, consider formatting your tag cloud in order
      from largest to smallest... and why are the most popular tags *below*
      the others?

      Have you had users complain that they can't find what they're looking
      for, or is this an assumption?

      All in all, if you want to make your site easier to navigate, you
      should consider using a more standard menu, rather than the large
      graphical "buttons." Navigation for your main site areas (or the
      places you most want people to see) should be along the top. Also,
      those buttons of yours don't seem to have alt tags -- what do people
      who are vision impaired experience when they come to your site?

      Also, it looks like the site is about 1024 pixels wide. That means
      that at the most common monitor resolution, there will be a horizontal
      scrollbar, because while the monitor might be 1024 wide, the browser
      window is always smaller.

      > Also, despite a good number of downloads per episode (about
      > 8,000) hardly anyone leaves comments (guess I'm not controversial
      > enough). I do get plenty of positive comments in emails. So, maybe
      > Wordpress, as much as I love it, just isn't the way to go.

      Number of downloads, number of comments and so on isn't a WordPress
      issue. It might be an audience issue; then again maybe it's a user
      interface issue.

      Feedback is feedback. You say you get emails -- do you read them on
      the show, so that others are encouraged to comment and provide
      feedback? Do you actively engage your listeners with specific topics,
      questions, or issues you'd like them to respond to?

      > Maybe there would be better ways to post the episode audio and show
      > notes without using a blog, and in a way that makes it easier for
      > visitors to find what they're looking for.

      You can do everything you need to do with WordPress. The back end
      functionality, as you've noted, makes it very easy to manage the site.
      You just need someone to help you make the user experience -- both on
      the site and in the content of the episodes -- more appealing.

      > Any suggestions? Anyone else use something other than a blog to
      > support their podcast?

      I use WordPress exclusively, and I build WordPress sites for my
      clients who want to expand their offerings to include podcasting. My
      suggestion is to look at making your user experience on the site more
      conducive to feedback, community and conversation.

      Feel free to contact me directly if you're interested in my one-on-one
      help with this.

      Best,

      --
      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Author, Podcaster, Social Media Authority

      Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
      http://www.bravemenrun.com