Re: [podcasters] Why use a blog to support my podcast?

  • Erk Pod
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2009
      G'day Michael

      I cant look at the site in your signature because I am on my mobile
      but I'm a bit puzzled.

      I use Wordpress.com for all my shows. I have 4 shows therefore I have
      4 sites plus a site where you can acess all 4 podcasts.

      Apart from audio hosting (Mevio), I do every thing for each
      site/podcast on the relevant WP.com site.

      I do show notes, related stories and more on each site. Each blog *is*
      my site for that podcast.

      So for any of my sites, I can listen to/download episodes, post show
      notes and stories, subscribe, recieve and reply to comments. I dont
      need any other site. I dont need a blog and a podcast site as to me,
      they are one and the same.

      Erk
      Channel Erk
      http://www.channelerk.com

      --
      Erk, Sydney (Australia)

      host of the Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Erk's Blast From The
      Past podcasts.

      http://www.erkcommunications.com.au
      erkpod@...
    • Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2009
        On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:05 PM, mbritt1216
        <michael.britt@...> wrote:
        > I'm starting to wonder whether I should use a blog for my podcast.
        > I'm up to 85 episodes, so despite the use of categories and tags I
        > think it's probably hard for people to find what they want on the
        > site.

        Not sure why you think this is the case. The search function on your
        site seems to be working just fine. Looking at the source for one of
        your episode posts, you *could* be better utilizing the All-In-One SEO
        plugin to make your episodes / subjects / keywords easier to find in
        the search engines. Also, consider formatting your tag cloud in order
        from largest to smallest... and why are the most popular tags *below*
        the others?

        Have you had users complain that they can't find what they're looking
        for, or is this an assumption?

        All in all, if you want to make your site easier to navigate, you
        should consider using a more standard menu, rather than the large
        graphical "buttons." Navigation for your main site areas (or the
        places you most want people to see) should be along the top. Also,
        those buttons of yours don't seem to have alt tags -- what do people
        who are vision impaired experience when they come to your site?

        Also, it looks like the site is about 1024 pixels wide. That means
        that at the most common monitor resolution, there will be a horizontal
        scrollbar, because while the monitor might be 1024 wide, the browser
        window is always smaller.

        > Also, despite a good number of downloads per episode (about
        > 8,000) hardly anyone leaves comments (guess I'm not controversial
        > enough). I do get plenty of positive comments in emails. So, maybe
        > Wordpress, as much as I love it, just isn't the way to go.

        Number of downloads, number of comments and so on isn't a WordPress
        issue. It might be an audience issue; then again maybe it's a user
        interface issue.

        Feedback is feedback. You say you get emails -- do you read them on
        the show, so that others are encouraged to comment and provide
        feedback? Do you actively engage your listeners with specific topics,
        questions, or issues you'd like them to respond to?

        > Maybe there would be better ways to post the episode audio and show
        > notes without using a blog, and in a way that makes it easier for
        > visitors to find what they're looking for.

        You can do everything you need to do with WordPress. The back end
        functionality, as you've noted, makes it very easy to manage the site.
        You just need someone to help you make the user experience -- both on
        the site and in the content of the episodes -- more appealing.

        > Any suggestions? Anyone else use something other than a blog to
        > support their podcast?

        I use WordPress exclusively, and I build WordPress sites for my
        clients who want to expand their offerings to include podcasting. My
        suggestion is to look at making your user experience on the site more
        conducive to feedback, community and conversation.

        Feel free to contact me directly if you're interested in my one-on-one
        help with this.

        Best,

        --
        Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Author, Podcaster, Social Media Authority

        Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
        http://www.bravemenrun.com