Why use a blog to support my podcast?

  • mbritt1216
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2009
      I'm starting to wonder whether I should use a blog for my podcast.
      I'm up to 85 episodes, so despite the use of categories and tags I
      think it's probably hard for people to find what they want on the
      site. Also, despite a good number of downloads per episode (about
      8,000) hardly anyone leaves comments (guess I'm not controversial
      enough). I do get plenty of positive comments in emails. So, maybe
      Wordpress, as much as I love it, just isn't the way to go.
      Unfortunately, I'm not a web designer, so the idea of making my own
      site doesn't really appeal to me (and Wordpress has made it so easy to
      update the site).

      Maybe there would be better ways to post the episode audio and show
      notes without using a blog, and in a way that makes it easier for
      visitors to find what they're looking for.

      Any suggestions? Anyone else use something other than a blog to
      support their podcast?

      Appreciate the suggestions,

      Michael
      www.thepsychfiles.com
    • Erk Pod
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2009
        G'day Michael

        I cant look at the site in your signature because I am on my mobile
        but I'm a bit puzzled.

        I use Wordpress.com for all my shows. I have 4 shows therefore I have
        4 sites plus a site where you can acess all 4 podcasts.

        Apart from audio hosting (Mevio), I do every thing for each
        site/podcast on the relevant WP.com site.

        I do show notes, related stories and more on each site. Each blog *is*
        my site for that podcast.

        So for any of my sites, I can listen to/download episodes, post show
        notes and stories, subscribe, recieve and reply to comments. I dont
        need any other site. I dont need a blog and a podcast site as to me,
        they are one and the same.

        Erk
        Channel Erk
        http://www.channelerk.com

        --
        Erk, Sydney (Australia)

        host of the Erk Pod, Erk FM, Echo Romeo Kilo & Erk's Blast From The
        Past podcasts.

        http://www.erkcommunications.com.au
        erkpod@...
      • Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2009
          On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:05 PM, mbritt1216
          <michael.britt@...> wrote:
          > I'm starting to wonder whether I should use a blog for my podcast.
          > I'm up to 85 episodes, so despite the use of categories and tags I
          > think it's probably hard for people to find what they want on the
          > site.

          Not sure why you think this is the case. The search function on your
          site seems to be working just fine. Looking at the source for one of
          your episode posts, you *could* be better utilizing the All-In-One SEO
          plugin to make your episodes / subjects / keywords easier to find in
          the search engines. Also, consider formatting your tag cloud in order
          from largest to smallest... and why are the most popular tags *below*
          the others?

          Have you had users complain that they can't find what they're looking
          for, or is this an assumption?

          All in all, if you want to make your site easier to navigate, you
          should consider using a more standard menu, rather than the large
          graphical "buttons." Navigation for your main site areas (or the
          places you most want people to see) should be along the top. Also,
          those buttons of yours don't seem to have alt tags -- what do people
          who are vision impaired experience when they come to your site?

          Also, it looks like the site is about 1024 pixels wide. That means
          that at the most common monitor resolution, there will be a horizontal
          scrollbar, because while the monitor might be 1024 wide, the browser
          window is always smaller.

          > Also, despite a good number of downloads per episode (about
          > 8,000) hardly anyone leaves comments (guess I'm not controversial
          > enough). I do get plenty of positive comments in emails. So, maybe
          > Wordpress, as much as I love it, just isn't the way to go.

          Number of downloads, number of comments and so on isn't a WordPress
          issue. It might be an audience issue; then again maybe it's a user
          interface issue.

          Feedback is feedback. You say you get emails -- do you read them on
          the show, so that others are encouraged to comment and provide
          feedback? Do you actively engage your listeners with specific topics,
          questions, or issues you'd like them to respond to?

          > Maybe there would be better ways to post the episode audio and show
          > notes without using a blog, and in a way that makes it easier for
          > visitors to find what they're looking for.

          You can do everything you need to do with WordPress. The back end
          functionality, as you've noted, makes it very easy to manage the site.
          You just need someone to help you make the user experience -- both on
          the site and in the content of the episodes -- more appealing.

          > Any suggestions? Anyone else use something other than a blog to
          > support their podcast?

          I use WordPress exclusively, and I build WordPress sites for my
          clients who want to expand their offerings to include podcasting. My
          suggestion is to look at making your user experience on the site more
          conducive to feedback, community and conversation.

          Feel free to contact me directly if you're interested in my one-on-one
          help with this.

          Best,

          --
          Matthew Wayne Selznick
          Author, Podcaster, Social Media Authority

          Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
          http://www.bravemenrun.com