Re: [podcasters] Re: PBS, NPR, and iPod/YouTube

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
      Dave says, "But when you say that "video is easier for the great
      majority of the audience," I really think you are making a huge
      generalization that may well not have the tiniest basis in fact."

      ---------------------------------

      Hi Dave,

      Thanks for outlining your podcast download process. I'm sure there are
      many others who do the same or similar.

      Still, I think we are in the minority when compared to the number of
      people who watch YouTube. I recently retired as a college instructor
      teaching radio broadcasting, and even my radio students were heavily into
      YouTube, few if any into podcasts.

      Subject matter may have a lot to do with it - there are more familiar
      (but bootleg) videos on YouTube than bootleg songs in podcasts.

      Ask ten computer users at random if they watch YouTube, then ask them if
      they listen to podcasts - what numbers would you expect?

      ---Dan

    • Rob Schendel
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
        My iTunes acquires 35 or more podcast episodes a week for me to review.All
        of the audio casts are consumed regularly.
        All of the video casts receive a notice saying iTunes has stopped
        downloading episodes because user hasn't reviewed the episodes of late.
        Why would that be? It's easy to figure that I listen to podcasts when I'm
        out on my bike, on the bus, on the train or walking.
        The video casts only get seen if I drop everything else I'm doing to sit in
        front of the computer and stare.
        I simply do not have enough time to catch up on all the episodes, even
        though I will attempt to run them as I fall asleep at night.
        I know I'm only one man, but it would seem to me that this would be typical
        of most podcast consumers.
        Thanks for the discussion!

        Rob Schendel
        www.twitter.com/robschendel

        On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

        > Dave says, "But when you say that "video is easier for the great
        >
        > majority of the audience," I really think you are making a huge
        > generalization that may well not have the tiniest basis in fact."
        >
        > ---------------------------------
        >
        > Hi Dave,
        >
        > Thanks for outlining your podcast download process. I'm sure there are
        > many others who do the same or similar.
        >
        > Still, I think we are in the minority when compared to the number of
        > people who watch YouTube. I recently retired as a college instructor
        > teaching radio broadcasting, and even my radio students were heavily into
        > YouTube, few if any into podcasts.
        >
        > Subject matter may have a lot to do with it - there are more familiar
        > (but bootleg) videos on YouTube than bootleg songs in podcasts.
        >
        > Ask ten computer users at random if they watch YouTube, then ask them if
        > they listen to podcasts - what numbers would you expect?
        >
        > ---Dan

      • Mike Wills
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
          Ask those same people what they watch on YouTube. I bet the majority
          of them don't watch shows that are released on a regular basis. They
          are looking for those short viral clips.

          --
          Mike Wills
          http://mikewills.info

          Sent from my iPod Touch