Re: PBS, NPR, and iPod/YouTube

  • shepdave2003
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

      > For the great majority of the audience, video is easier. By that I
      mean
      > you need no extra equipment, you just sit at your computer and
      watch
      your
      > monitor.
      >
      > But for audio only, most people would rather listen away from their
      > computer, and that means, if they want your podcast, attaching
      > peripherals to their computer via cable or USB port, and taking the
      time
      > to download. That's just too much trouble for those who are just as
      > happy listening to music or the radio, or whatever is already on
      their
      > MP3 player.

      I completely disagree with this analysis. As a listener, I do not
      subscribe to a single video podcast. I don't have time in my life to
      sit down at a computer and stare at the screen to get the kind of
      content I get from podcasts. For me, that is much more inconvenient
      than audio.

      I sync up my MP3 player (which happens to be an iPod) as part of my
      morning routine, and then I listen to the day's podcasts on the run--
      while driving to and from work, running errands, waiting in lines,
      etc. If I had to watch a video, I just wouldn't mess with it.

      Now, I don't want to mistakenly assume that my pattern of interaction
      with my podcast list is the same as yours--but likewise, you should
      not assume everybody's pattern of interaction is the same as yours.
      You're suggesting it's a pain in the neck to hook my iPod to my
      comptuter to sync. I'm suggesting that (for me) it's a much bigger
      pain in the neck to sit my butt down in front of a computer screen
      for the time of a podcast. I'm stuck there. Can't do anything else. I
      have to sit in one place. Forget it. I'm too busy to do that.

      As a producer, audio is much, MUCH easier to deal with. I only have
      to work in a dry, quiet room. If I were doing video, I'd have to get
      the sound of the room right AND get the lighting right, AND worry
      about whether I needed another person to run camera, etc., etc., etc.

      Different strokes for different folks, that's what I'm saying. But
      when you say that "video is easier for the great majority of the
      audience," I really think you are making a huge generalization that
      may well not have the tiniest basis in fact.

      Back to lurk mode.

      Dave Shepherd
      http://thewordnerds.org
    • Dan Hughes
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
        Dave says, "But when you say that "video is easier for the great
        majority of the audience," I really think you are making a huge
        generalization that may well not have the tiniest basis in fact."

        ---------------------------------

        Hi Dave,

        Thanks for outlining your podcast download process. I'm sure there are
        many others who do the same or similar.

        Still, I think we are in the minority when compared to the number of
        people who watch YouTube. I recently retired as a college instructor
        teaching radio broadcasting, and even my radio students were heavily into
        YouTube, few if any into podcasts.

        Subject matter may have a lot to do with it - there are more familiar
        (but bootleg) videos on YouTube than bootleg songs in podcasts.

        Ask ten computer users at random if they watch YouTube, then ask them if
        they listen to podcasts - what numbers would you expect?

        ---Dan

      • Rob Schendel
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
          My iTunes acquires 35 or more podcast episodes a week for me to review.All
          of the audio casts are consumed regularly.
          All of the video casts receive a notice saying iTunes has stopped
          downloading episodes because user hasn't reviewed the episodes of late.
          Why would that be? It's easy to figure that I listen to podcasts when I'm
          out on my bike, on the bus, on the train or walking.
          The video casts only get seen if I drop everything else I'm doing to sit in
          front of the computer and stare.
          I simply do not have enough time to catch up on all the episodes, even
          though I will attempt to run them as I fall asleep at night.
          I know I'm only one man, but it would seem to me that this would be typical
          of most podcast consumers.
          Thanks for the discussion!

          Rob Schendel
          www.twitter.com/robschendel

          On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

          > Dave says, "But when you say that "video is easier for the great
          >
          > majority of the audience," I really think you are making a huge
          > generalization that may well not have the tiniest basis in fact."
          >
          > ---------------------------------
          >
          > Hi Dave,
          >
          > Thanks for outlining your podcast download process. I'm sure there are
          > many others who do the same or similar.
          >
          > Still, I think we are in the minority when compared to the number of
          > people who watch YouTube. I recently retired as a college instructor
          > teaching radio broadcasting, and even my radio students were heavily into
          > YouTube, few if any into podcasts.
          >
          > Subject matter may have a lot to do with it - there are more familiar
          > (but bootleg) videos on YouTube than bootleg songs in podcasts.
          >
          > Ask ten computer users at random if they watch YouTube, then ask them if
          > they listen to podcasts - what numbers would you expect?
          >
          > ---Dan

        • Mike Wills
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
            Ask those same people what they watch on YouTube. I bet the majority
            of them don't watch shows that are released on a regular basis. They
            are looking for those short viral clips.

            --
            Mike Wills
            http://mikewills.info

            Sent from my iPod Touch