Re: PBS, NPR, and iPod/YouTube

  • writerpatrick
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

      > Joshua asks, "If video is inherently BETTER than audio, then why
      doesn't
      > PBS make NPR obsolete? I know NPR is suffering financially, but it's
      > doing way better than PBS."
      > ------------------------------------
      > PBS is competing with hundreds of on-air, satellite, and cable
      channels
      > that appeal to the unwashed masses (that is, the great majority of
      us).
      > And that's a problem with podcasting, too. It's hard to get people
      > just listen when they have so many other choices that give them
      pictures,
      > too.
      >
      > I think our listenership would skyrocket if we posted our podcasts
      on
      > YouTube instead of iTunes. All we need to do is add a picture for
      the
      > screen.

      Not necissarily. I've posted a few videos on YouTube and gotten
      practically nothing (less than 20 views). There's a few "slide-show"
      videos on YouTube which are essentially audio with some pictures
      added. Although in those cases they're put to music so it's the music
      people are after.

      I did something like that with the first segment of Beowulf:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYHR6gqp2IU

      Over a year it's gotten about 230 views on YouTube. Although the Veoh
      posting has gotten over 630. I'll have to try again.
    • shepdave2003
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
        --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

        > For the great majority of the audience, video is easier. By that I
        mean
        > you need no extra equipment, you just sit at your computer and
        watch
        your
        > monitor.
        >
        > But for audio only, most people would rather listen away from their
        > computer, and that means, if they want your podcast, attaching
        > peripherals to their computer via cable or USB port, and taking the
        time
        > to download. That's just too much trouble for those who are just as
        > happy listening to music or the radio, or whatever is already on
        their
        > MP3 player.

        I completely disagree with this analysis. As a listener, I do not
        subscribe to a single video podcast. I don't have time in my life to
        sit down at a computer and stare at the screen to get the kind of
        content I get from podcasts. For me, that is much more inconvenient
        than audio.

        I sync up my MP3 player (which happens to be an iPod) as part of my
        morning routine, and then I listen to the day's podcasts on the run--
        while driving to and from work, running errands, waiting in lines,
        etc. If I had to watch a video, I just wouldn't mess with it.

        Now, I don't want to mistakenly assume that my pattern of interaction
        with my podcast list is the same as yours--but likewise, you should
        not assume everybody's pattern of interaction is the same as yours.
        You're suggesting it's a pain in the neck to hook my iPod to my
        comptuter to sync. I'm suggesting that (for me) it's a much bigger
        pain in the neck to sit my butt down in front of a computer screen
        for the time of a podcast. I'm stuck there. Can't do anything else. I
        have to sit in one place. Forget it. I'm too busy to do that.

        As a producer, audio is much, MUCH easier to deal with. I only have
        to work in a dry, quiet room. If I were doing video, I'd have to get
        the sound of the room right AND get the lighting right, AND worry
        about whether I needed another person to run camera, etc., etc., etc.

        Different strokes for different folks, that's what I'm saying. But
        when you say that "video is easier for the great majority of the
        audience," I really think you are making a huge generalization that
        may well not have the tiniest basis in fact.

        Back to lurk mode.

        Dave Shepherd
        http://thewordnerds.org
      • Dan Hughes
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
          Dave says, "But when you say that "video is easier for the great
          majority of the audience," I really think you are making a huge
          generalization that may well not have the tiniest basis in fact."

          ---------------------------------

          Hi Dave,

          Thanks for outlining your podcast download process. I'm sure there are
          many others who do the same or similar.

          Still, I think we are in the minority when compared to the number of
          people who watch YouTube. I recently retired as a college instructor
          teaching radio broadcasting, and even my radio students were heavily into
          YouTube, few if any into podcasts.

          Subject matter may have a lot to do with it - there are more familiar
          (but bootleg) videos on YouTube than bootleg songs in podcasts.

          Ask ten computer users at random if they watch YouTube, then ask them if
          they listen to podcasts - what numbers would you expect?

          ---Dan

        • Rob Schendel
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
            My iTunes acquires 35 or more podcast episodes a week for me to review.All
            of the audio casts are consumed regularly.
            All of the video casts receive a notice saying iTunes has stopped
            downloading episodes because user hasn't reviewed the episodes of late.
            Why would that be? It's easy to figure that I listen to podcasts when I'm
            out on my bike, on the bus, on the train or walking.
            The video casts only get seen if I drop everything else I'm doing to sit in
            front of the computer and stare.
            I simply do not have enough time to catch up on all the episodes, even
            though I will attempt to run them as I fall asleep at night.
            I know I'm only one man, but it would seem to me that this would be typical
            of most podcast consumers.
            Thanks for the discussion!

            Rob Schendel
            www.twitter.com/robschendel

            On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

            > Dave says, "But when you say that "video is easier for the great
            >
            > majority of the audience," I really think you are making a huge
            > generalization that may well not have the tiniest basis in fact."
            >
            > ---------------------------------
            >
            > Hi Dave,
            >
            > Thanks for outlining your podcast download process. I'm sure there are
            > many others who do the same or similar.
            >
            > Still, I think we are in the minority when compared to the number of
            > people who watch YouTube. I recently retired as a college instructor
            > teaching radio broadcasting, and even my radio students were heavily into
            > YouTube, few if any into podcasts.
            >
            > Subject matter may have a lot to do with it - there are more familiar
            > (but bootleg) videos on YouTube than bootleg songs in podcasts.
            >
            > Ask ten computer users at random if they watch YouTube, then ask them if
            > they listen to podcasts - what numbers would you expect?
            >
            > ---Dan

          • Mike Wills
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
              Ask those same people what they watch on YouTube. I bet the majority
              of them don't watch shows that are released on a regular basis. They
              are looking for those short viral clips.

              --
              Mike Wills
              http://mikewills.info

              Sent from my iPod Touch