RE: [podcasters] PBS, NPR, and iPod/YouTube

  • Mike Wills
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
      So, that laptop, smart phone, cell phone, mp3 player, watch, USB key, MP3 CD
      player, GPS, digital picture frame, digital camera, and much much more don't
      count? These devices are becoming more mainstream every day. Just 3 years
      ago, only the elete business people had smartphones. Now they are rapidly
      gaining ground on "normal" cell phones, at least based on what I see from
      people carrying them.

      While it's true the "mainstream" don't get what a podcast is. The real
      problem is that there isn't a mainstream way to get podcasts. How does one
      get it now? Zune Marketplace and iTunes make it automatic. Everything else
      that I have heard of is basically a hack or not maintained well. I have yet
      to see a "good" podcatcher that will download the show, and automatically
      place it on a playing device as easily as it is for iTunes/iPod.

      If you want to know how long it'll take for podcasting to be considered
      mainstream, look at how long it took blogging to become mainstream. We can
      only push so much.

      I agree, video seems to be better for Marketing based on the research I have
      seen. It grabs your attention. Bute you know what? Of the 12 video podcasts
      I subscribe to, only three do I actually watch. The rest I play and listen
      to the audio on my iPod... At work.

      Don't do video to do video because you may think it's the next best thing.
      Do what makes sense for your content. The viewers/listeners will come. If
      you think your audience is better served with video, do it! But just ask
      anyone doing video work on a daily or weekly basis. It is a LOT harder than
      audio to have quality content.

      --
      Mike Wills
      Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
        I think the ultimate goal is to get your content out there no matter what.

        It's not necessarily about which tool is better than the others, but
        about using all the tools that might be useful and deciding which
        content (and in what format) to put out there...

        If you can integrate video to draw attention to your podcast (for
        example, I have a podcast on business ethics for new professionals...
        and I could do a youtube video on how to tie a tie or on how to
        determine if someone is lying to you...)

        http://12seconds.tv/ is a great tool for this purpose. Like twitter
        with video, you only get 12 seconds to get your point out - perfect
        for a crazy commercial for your podcast.

        -Nick
        PsychoticResumes.com
      • joshuamcnichols
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
          snip

          > I think our listenership would skyrocket if we posted our podcasts on
          > YouTube instead of iTunes. All we need to do is add a picture for the
          > screen.
          >
          > ---Dan

          Maybe it'd be smart to think of YouTube as just another
          portal/advertisement for podcasts, not unlike a facebook page.

          Joshua
        • writerpatrick
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
            --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

            > Joshua asks, "If video is inherently BETTER than audio, then why
            doesn't
            > PBS make NPR obsolete? I know NPR is suffering financially, but it's
            > doing way better than PBS."
            > ------------------------------------
            > PBS is competing with hundreds of on-air, satellite, and cable
            channels
            > that appeal to the unwashed masses (that is, the great majority of
            us).
            > And that's a problem with podcasting, too. It's hard to get people
            > just listen when they have so many other choices that give them
            pictures,
            > too.
            >
            > I think our listenership would skyrocket if we posted our podcasts
            on
            > YouTube instead of iTunes. All we need to do is add a picture for
            the
            > screen.

            Not necissarily. I've posted a few videos on YouTube and gotten
            practically nothing (less than 20 views). There's a few "slide-show"
            videos on YouTube which are essentially audio with some pictures
            added. Although in those cases they're put to music so it's the music
            people are after.

            I did something like that with the first segment of Beowulf:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYHR6gqp2IU

            Over a year it's gotten about 230 views on YouTube. Although the Veoh
            posting has gotten over 630. I'll have to try again.
          • shepdave2003
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

              > For the great majority of the audience, video is easier. By that I
              mean
              > you need no extra equipment, you just sit at your computer and
              watch
              your
              > monitor.
              >
              > But for audio only, most people would rather listen away from their
              > computer, and that means, if they want your podcast, attaching
              > peripherals to their computer via cable or USB port, and taking the
              time
              > to download. That's just too much trouble for those who are just as
              > happy listening to music or the radio, or whatever is already on
              their
              > MP3 player.

              I completely disagree with this analysis. As a listener, I do not
              subscribe to a single video podcast. I don't have time in my life to
              sit down at a computer and stare at the screen to get the kind of
              content I get from podcasts. For me, that is much more inconvenient
              than audio.

              I sync up my MP3 player (which happens to be an iPod) as part of my
              morning routine, and then I listen to the day's podcasts on the run--
              while driving to and from work, running errands, waiting in lines,
              etc. If I had to watch a video, I just wouldn't mess with it.

              Now, I don't want to mistakenly assume that my pattern of interaction
              with my podcast list is the same as yours--but likewise, you should
              not assume everybody's pattern of interaction is the same as yours.
              You're suggesting it's a pain in the neck to hook my iPod to my
              comptuter to sync. I'm suggesting that (for me) it's a much bigger
              pain in the neck to sit my butt down in front of a computer screen
              for the time of a podcast. I'm stuck there. Can't do anything else. I
              have to sit in one place. Forget it. I'm too busy to do that.

              As a producer, audio is much, MUCH easier to deal with. I only have
              to work in a dry, quiet room. If I were doing video, I'd have to get
              the sound of the room right AND get the lighting right, AND worry
              about whether I needed another person to run camera, etc., etc., etc.

              Different strokes for different folks, that's what I'm saying. But
              when you say that "video is easier for the great majority of the
              audience," I really think you are making a huge generalization that
              may well not have the tiniest basis in fact.

              Back to lurk mode.

              Dave Shepherd
              http://thewordnerds.org
            • Dan Hughes
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                Dave says, "But when you say that "video is easier for the great
                majority of the audience," I really think you are making a huge
                generalization that may well not have the tiniest basis in fact."

                ---------------------------------

                Hi Dave,

                Thanks for outlining your podcast download process. I'm sure there are
                many others who do the same or similar.

                Still, I think we are in the minority when compared to the number of
                people who watch YouTube. I recently retired as a college instructor
                teaching radio broadcasting, and even my radio students were heavily into
                YouTube, few if any into podcasts.

                Subject matter may have a lot to do with it - there are more familiar
                (but bootleg) videos on YouTube than bootleg songs in podcasts.

                Ask ten computer users at random if they watch YouTube, then ask them if
                they listen to podcasts - what numbers would you expect?

                ---Dan

              • Rob Schendel
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                  My iTunes acquires 35 or more podcast episodes a week for me to review.All
                  of the audio casts are consumed regularly.
                  All of the video casts receive a notice saying iTunes has stopped
                  downloading episodes because user hasn't reviewed the episodes of late.
                  Why would that be? It's easy to figure that I listen to podcasts when I'm
                  out on my bike, on the bus, on the train or walking.
                  The video casts only get seen if I drop everything else I'm doing to sit in
                  front of the computer and stare.
                  I simply do not have enough time to catch up on all the episodes, even
                  though I will attempt to run them as I fall asleep at night.
                  I know I'm only one man, but it would seem to me that this would be typical
                  of most podcast consumers.
                  Thanks for the discussion!

                  Rob Schendel
                  www.twitter.com/robschendel

                  On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                  > Dave says, "But when you say that "video is easier for the great
                  >
                  > majority of the audience," I really think you are making a huge
                  > generalization that may well not have the tiniest basis in fact."
                  >
                  > ---------------------------------
                  >
                  > Hi Dave,
                  >
                  > Thanks for outlining your podcast download process. I'm sure there are
                  > many others who do the same or similar.
                  >
                  > Still, I think we are in the minority when compared to the number of
                  > people who watch YouTube. I recently retired as a college instructor
                  > teaching radio broadcasting, and even my radio students were heavily into
                  > YouTube, few if any into podcasts.
                  >
                  > Subject matter may have a lot to do with it - there are more familiar
                  > (but bootleg) videos on YouTube than bootleg songs in podcasts.
                  >
                  > Ask ten computer users at random if they watch YouTube, then ask them if
                  > they listen to podcasts - what numbers would you expect?
                  >
                  > ---Dan

                • Mike Wills
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                    Ask those same people what they watch on YouTube. I bet the majority
                    of them don't watch shows that are released on a regular basis. They
                    are looking for those short viral clips.

                    --
                    Mike Wills
                    http://mikewills.info

                    Sent from my iPod Touch