PBS, NPR, and iPod/YouTube

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
      Joshua asks, "If video is inherently BETTER than audio, then why doesn't
      PBS make NPR obsolete? I know NPR is suffering financially, but it's
      doing way better than PBS."
      ------------------------------------
      PBS is competing with hundreds of on-air, satellite, and cable channels
      that appeal to the unwashed masses (that is, the great majority of us).

      NPR has little competition on the radio dial, what with the great
      majority of radio stations alternating 12 songs in a row with 12
      commercials in a row.

      Both PBS and NPR appeal to an elite audience (and I don't mean that in a
      bad way), and I think you'll find a much higher percentage of this crowd
      listening to radio than watching television, as compared to the
      lesser-educated population.

      -------------------------

      And that's a problem with podcasting, too. It's hard to get people to
      just listen when they have so many other choices that give them pictures,
      too.

      I've run two podcasts since last summer (on metal detecting and adult
      softball), and I get about 300 listeners each week. In a moment of
      insanity I posted one stupid adlibbed "commercial" for one of my books on
      YouTube, and that darn thing has been watched over 400 times!

      I think our listenership would skyrocket if we posted our podcasts on
      YouTube instead of iTunes. All we need to do is add a picture for the
      screen.

      ---Dan

    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
        I still feel that audio is the way to go as long as your topics grab an audience. There are many talk radio inthusiasts that can connect with an audio podcast.

        Kevin
        sisco83@...
        http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
          This sounds like Troll bait, but I'll bite anyway...

          The problem with video. You have to watch it and usually give it at least
          partial attention. Shorter is better. YouTube has a 10 minute limit (the
          last I knew). With audio a person can listen in the car, listen while
          working out, or just have it in the background. Any length is usually okay.
          While I agree, posting something on YouTube is more likely to be seen, audio
          is more portable.

          You talk numbers, for niche areas like yours I would be happy to have 300
          people listening. That is 300 more people than would otherwise hear you if
          you just talked to yourself. If you want more listeners, you have to market
          your shows.

          Remember, right now there are no rules. You try what you want to gain more
          audience. No one can tell you what step 2 is. All you can do is try
          different things.

          --
          Mike Wills
          Podcast Mike Productions http://podcastmike.com

          P.S. If you don't know what step 2 refers to. Look up Underwear Gnomes...

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
            Mike, I'm not sure what troll bait is, but if it means trying to start an
            argument just for the excitement of it, that ain't me. I'm a serious
            podcaster, I know my stuff, and I'm sure I would have many more listeners
            if I weren't so cheap that I combine two totally unrelated podcasts into
            one feed. (I have different access URLs - thesoftballcorner.com gets you
            just the softball shows, and thetreasurecorner.com gets you just the
            treasure shows - but they are both housed in the same account in libsyn,
            and if you go to the libsyn account directly (as I guess iPod does) you
            get all of them together.

            Sorry, I'm getting off point here.

            Which is:

            For the great majority of the audience, video is easier. By that I mean
            you need no extra equipment, you just sit at your computer and watch your
            monitor.

            But for audio only, most people would rather listen away from their
            computer, and that means, if they want your podcast, attaching
            peripherals to their computer via cable or USB port, and taking the time
            to download. That's just too much trouble for those who are just as
            happy listening to music or the radio, or whatever is already on their
            MP3 player.

            Audio is indeed portable, but there are many types of audio, and for the
            public at large, podcasting takes a back seat to most of them, I'm
            afraid.

            Thanks,

            ---Dan

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
              So, that laptop, smart phone, cell phone, mp3 player, watch, USB key, MP3 CD
              player, GPS, digital picture frame, digital camera, and much much more don't
              count? These devices are becoming more mainstream every day. Just 3 years
              ago, only the elete business people had smartphones. Now they are rapidly
              gaining ground on "normal" cell phones, at least based on what I see from
              people carrying them.

              While it's true the "mainstream" don't get what a podcast is. The real
              problem is that there isn't a mainstream way to get podcasts. How does one
              get it now? Zune Marketplace and iTunes make it automatic. Everything else
              that I have heard of is basically a hack or not maintained well. I have yet
              to see a "good" podcatcher that will download the show, and automatically
              place it on a playing device as easily as it is for iTunes/iPod.

              If you want to know how long it'll take for podcasting to be considered
              mainstream, look at how long it took blogging to become mainstream. We can
              only push so much.

              I agree, video seems to be better for Marketing based on the research I have
              seen. It grabs your attention. Bute you know what? Of the 12 video podcasts
              I subscribe to, only three do I actually watch. The rest I play and listen
              to the audio on my iPod... At work.

              Don't do video to do video because you may think it's the next best thing.
              Do what makes sense for your content. The viewers/listeners will come. If
              you think your audience is better served with video, do it! But just ask
              anyone doing video work on a daily or weekly basis. It is a LOT harder than
              audio to have quality content.

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                I think the ultimate goal is to get your content out there no matter what.

                It's not necessarily about which tool is better than the others, but
                about using all the tools that might be useful and deciding which
                content (and in what format) to put out there...

                If you can integrate video to draw attention to your podcast (for
                example, I have a podcast on business ethics for new professionals...
                and I could do a youtube video on how to tie a tie or on how to
                determine if someone is lying to you...)

                http://12seconds.tv/ is a great tool for this purpose. Like twitter
                with video, you only get 12 seconds to get your point out - perfect
                for a crazy commercial for your podcast.

                -Nick
                PsychoticResumes.com
              • joshuamcnichols
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
                  snip

                  > I think our listenership would skyrocket if we posted our podcasts on
                  > YouTube instead of iTunes. All we need to do is add a picture for the
                  > screen.
                  >
                  > ---Dan

                  Maybe it'd be smart to think of YouTube as just another
                  portal/advertisement for podcasts, not unlike a facebook page.

                  Joshua
                • writerpatrick
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                    > Joshua asks, "If video is inherently BETTER than audio, then why
                    doesn't
                    > PBS make NPR obsolete? I know NPR is suffering financially, but it's
                    > doing way better than PBS."
                    > ------------------------------------
                    > PBS is competing with hundreds of on-air, satellite, and cable
                    channels
                    > that appeal to the unwashed masses (that is, the great majority of
                    us).
                    > And that's a problem with podcasting, too. It's hard to get people
                    > just listen when they have so many other choices that give them
                    pictures,
                    > too.
                    >
                    > I think our listenership would skyrocket if we posted our podcasts
                    on
                    > YouTube instead of iTunes. All we need to do is add a picture for
                    the
                    > screen.

                    Not necissarily. I've posted a few videos on YouTube and gotten
                    practically nothing (less than 20 views). There's a few "slide-show"
                    videos on YouTube which are essentially audio with some pictures
                    added. Although in those cases they're put to music so it's the music
                    people are after.

                    I did something like that with the first segment of Beowulf:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYHR6gqp2IU

                    Over a year it's gotten about 230 views on YouTube. Although the Veoh
                    posting has gotten over 630. I'll have to try again.
                  • shepdave2003
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                      > For the great majority of the audience, video is easier. By that I
                      mean
                      > you need no extra equipment, you just sit at your computer and
                      watch
                      your
                      > monitor.
                      >
                      > But for audio only, most people would rather listen away from their
                      > computer, and that means, if they want your podcast, attaching
                      > peripherals to their computer via cable or USB port, and taking the
                      time
                      > to download. That's just too much trouble for those who are just as
                      > happy listening to music or the radio, or whatever is already on
                      their
                      > MP3 player.

                      I completely disagree with this analysis. As a listener, I do not
                      subscribe to a single video podcast. I don't have time in my life to
                      sit down at a computer and stare at the screen to get the kind of
                      content I get from podcasts. For me, that is much more inconvenient
                      than audio.

                      I sync up my MP3 player (which happens to be an iPod) as part of my
                      morning routine, and then I listen to the day's podcasts on the run--
                      while driving to and from work, running errands, waiting in lines,
                      etc. If I had to watch a video, I just wouldn't mess with it.

                      Now, I don't want to mistakenly assume that my pattern of interaction
                      with my podcast list is the same as yours--but likewise, you should
                      not assume everybody's pattern of interaction is the same as yours.
                      You're suggesting it's a pain in the neck to hook my iPod to my
                      comptuter to sync. I'm suggesting that (for me) it's a much bigger
                      pain in the neck to sit my butt down in front of a computer screen
                      for the time of a podcast. I'm stuck there. Can't do anything else. I
                      have to sit in one place. Forget it. I'm too busy to do that.

                      As a producer, audio is much, MUCH easier to deal with. I only have
                      to work in a dry, quiet room. If I were doing video, I'd have to get
                      the sound of the room right AND get the lighting right, AND worry
                      about whether I needed another person to run camera, etc., etc., etc.

                      Different strokes for different folks, that's what I'm saying. But
                      when you say that "video is easier for the great majority of the
                      audience," I really think you are making a huge generalization that
                      may well not have the tiniest basis in fact.

                      Back to lurk mode.

                      Dave Shepherd
                      http://thewordnerds.org
                    • Dan Hughes
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                        Dave says, "But when you say that "video is easier for the great
                        majority of the audience," I really think you are making a huge
                        generalization that may well not have the tiniest basis in fact."

                        ---------------------------------

                        Hi Dave,

                        Thanks for outlining your podcast download process. I'm sure there are
                        many others who do the same or similar.

                        Still, I think we are in the minority when compared to the number of
                        people who watch YouTube. I recently retired as a college instructor
                        teaching radio broadcasting, and even my radio students were heavily into
                        YouTube, few if any into podcasts.

                        Subject matter may have a lot to do with it - there are more familiar
                        (but bootleg) videos on YouTube than bootleg songs in podcasts.

                        Ask ten computer users at random if they watch YouTube, then ask them if
                        they listen to podcasts - what numbers would you expect?

                        ---Dan

                      • Rob Schendel
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                          My iTunes acquires 35 or more podcast episodes a week for me to review.All
                          of the audio casts are consumed regularly.
                          All of the video casts receive a notice saying iTunes has stopped
                          downloading episodes because user hasn't reviewed the episodes of late.
                          Why would that be? It's easy to figure that I listen to podcasts when I'm
                          out on my bike, on the bus, on the train or walking.
                          The video casts only get seen if I drop everything else I'm doing to sit in
                          front of the computer and stare.
                          I simply do not have enough time to catch up on all the episodes, even
                          though I will attempt to run them as I fall asleep at night.
                          I know I'm only one man, but it would seem to me that this would be typical
                          of most podcast consumers.
                          Thanks for the discussion!

                          Rob Schendel
                          www.twitter.com/robschendel

                          On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

                          > Dave says, "But when you say that "video is easier for the great
                          >
                          > majority of the audience," I really think you are making a huge
                          > generalization that may well not have the tiniest basis in fact."
                          >
                          > ---------------------------------
                          >
                          > Hi Dave,
                          >
                          > Thanks for outlining your podcast download process. I'm sure there are
                          > many others who do the same or similar.
                          >
                          > Still, I think we are in the minority when compared to the number of
                          > people who watch YouTube. I recently retired as a college instructor
                          > teaching radio broadcasting, and even my radio students were heavily into
                          > YouTube, few if any into podcasts.
                          >
                          > Subject matter may have a lot to do with it - there are more familiar
                          > (but bootleg) videos on YouTube than bootleg songs in podcasts.
                          >
                          > Ask ten computer users at random if they watch YouTube, then ask them if
                          > they listen to podcasts - what numbers would you expect?
                          >
                          > ---Dan

                        • Mike Wills
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 5, 2009
                            Ask those same people what they watch on YouTube. I bet the majority
                            of them don't watch shows that are released on a regular basis. They
                            are looking for those short viral clips.

                            --
                            Mike Wills
                            http://mikewills.info

                            Sent from my iPod Touch