Re: Podcasting is "dead"?

  • joshuamcnichols
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2009

      > (3) Video is a major dialogue media on the web when audio is not.
      > Despite a few initiatives such as on ODEO for a time -- it's video
      > rather than audio which people prefer to engage a discussion with.

      This may be true. But I contend that a smaller number of people
      prefer audio to video because it is a more intimate medium. I know
      video can portray intimate things. But audio has a special way of
      getting directly into your head. I believe it's because audio can be
      akin to the human voice, whereas video has all these layers between
      you and the content - a screen, a smaller scale, and the distractions
      in the room. Furthermore, I appreciate that audio podcasts allow me
      to do other things while I'm listening. Garden, exercise, wash
      dishes, rock my baby to sleep.

      I work in radio rather than television because I felt the intimacy of
      audio, and felt alienated by television. If video is inherently
      BETTER than audio, then why doesn't PBS make NPR obsolete? I know NPR
      is suffering financially, but it's doing way better than PBS.

      Audio is definitely a niche in a world dominated by video. But it's a
      time-tested niche with real strengths.

      That said, having photos or other web features to draw people into the
      audio-only content is critical in a world where web pages are the
      portals to audio work. Then once people tune in, the audio can do its
      work.

      My favorite model for audio content is PRX - the public radio
      exchange. It requires registration, but if they eliminated that and
      enhanced the ability to embed, they'd have something very much like
      you-tube.