Re: [podcasters] Re: Podcasting is "dead"?

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
      On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 8:56 PM, tom_a_sparks <tom_a_sparks@...> wrote:
      > i understand that view, but the limitions of youtube is what turn me
      > off youtube see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_YouTube,
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_of_YouTube and also the youtube
      > corporation is making money of your video submitions

      Google makes money off of your content in exchange for infinite
      bandwidth, near-perfect uptime, and infinite storage. Plus, if I tell
      someone, "My video's on YouTube," they know exactly what I mean.
      Can't count on that if I say, "Have you seen my podcast?"

      There are plenty of ways smart people make money off their videos.
      Also, I believe YouTube offers ad service through AdSense to folks who
      upload videos, so you could even earn money directly.

      > Wasn't the idea of podcasting to officer a downloadble file to be
      > placed on your non-internet-enabled media player?

      No. The idea of podcasting was to deliver files (audio, video, or
      anything else) via RSS. You still need the Internet to get the
      content at some point.

      Has anyone noticed that YouTube is starting to offer downloadable video..?

      --
      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Author, Podcaster, Social Media Authority

      Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
      http://www.bravemenrun.com
    • joshuamcnichols
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2009

        > (3) Video is a major dialogue media on the web when audio is not.
        > Despite a few initiatives such as on ODEO for a time -- it's video
        > rather than audio which people prefer to engage a discussion with.

        This may be true. But I contend that a smaller number of people
        prefer audio to video because it is a more intimate medium. I know
        video can portray intimate things. But audio has a special way of
        getting directly into your head. I believe it's because audio can be
        akin to the human voice, whereas video has all these layers between
        you and the content - a screen, a smaller scale, and the distractions
        in the room. Furthermore, I appreciate that audio podcasts allow me
        to do other things while I'm listening. Garden, exercise, wash
        dishes, rock my baby to sleep.

        I work in radio rather than television because I felt the intimacy of
        audio, and felt alienated by television. If video is inherently
        BETTER than audio, then why doesn't PBS make NPR obsolete? I know NPR
        is suffering financially, but it's doing way better than PBS.

        Audio is definitely a niche in a world dominated by video. But it's a
        time-tested niche with real strengths.

        That said, having photos or other web features to draw people into the
        audio-only content is critical in a world where web pages are the
        portals to audio work. Then once people tune in, the audio can do its
        work.

        My favorite model for audio content is PRX - the public radio
        exchange. It requires registration, but if they eliminated that and
        enhanced the ability to embed, they'd have something very much like
        you-tube.