Re: Podcasting is "dead"?

  • tom_a_sparks
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Wayne Selznick
      <mwselznick@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:05 PM, tom_a_sparks <tom_a_sparks@...> wrote:
      > > but I think that a lot of the so-called podcasters started doing
      > > videoblogs, but they f*cked up and started using youtube, Not a
      > > downloadalbe format like mp4/wmv etc
      >
      > The point of any media is to get it into the eyes / ears of the
      > audience. If YouTube is the best way to do that (user familiarity,
      > access on an increasing number of Internet-enabled devices) then so be
      > it. Why download something when you can stream it on your
      > Internet-enabled portable device?

      I dont want to be charged a dollar a second/Kilobyte to access the
      internet via my 3G internet-enabled device (I dont have one anyway)

      > Video podcasters aren't fucking up when they use YouTube. They're
      > putting their content in the largest distribution stream available.

      i understand that view, but the limitions of youtube is what turn me
      off youtube see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_YouTube,
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_of_YouTube and also the youtube
      corporation is making money of your video submitions

      > Now, I think it's smart to be on YouTube *and* offer a downloadable
      > option, as with my Teen Poetry podcast... but to say podcasters are
      > "doing it wrong" by using YouTube is as misguided as any right-wrong
      > "rules" when it comes to this medium.

      Wasn't the idea of podcasting to officer a downloadble file to be
      placed on your non-internet-enabled media player?
    • Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
        On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 8:56 PM, tom_a_sparks <tom_a_sparks@...> wrote:
        > i understand that view, but the limitions of youtube is what turn me
        > off youtube see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_YouTube,
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_of_YouTube and also the youtube
        > corporation is making money of your video submitions

        Google makes money off of your content in exchange for infinite
        bandwidth, near-perfect uptime, and infinite storage. Plus, if I tell
        someone, "My video's on YouTube," they know exactly what I mean.
        Can't count on that if I say, "Have you seen my podcast?"

        There are plenty of ways smart people make money off their videos.
        Also, I believe YouTube offers ad service through AdSense to folks who
        upload videos, so you could even earn money directly.

        > Wasn't the idea of podcasting to officer a downloadble file to be
        > placed on your non-internet-enabled media player?

        No. The idea of podcasting was to deliver files (audio, video, or
        anything else) via RSS. You still need the Internet to get the
        content at some point.

        Has anyone noticed that YouTube is starting to offer downloadable video..?

        --
        Matthew Wayne Selznick
        Author, Podcaster, Social Media Authority

        Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
        http://www.bravemenrun.com
      • joshuamcnichols
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2009

          > (3) Video is a major dialogue media on the web when audio is not.
          > Despite a few initiatives such as on ODEO for a time -- it's video
          > rather than audio which people prefer to engage a discussion with.

          This may be true. But I contend that a smaller number of people
          prefer audio to video because it is a more intimate medium. I know
          video can portray intimate things. But audio has a special way of
          getting directly into your head. I believe it's because audio can be
          akin to the human voice, whereas video has all these layers between
          you and the content - a screen, a smaller scale, and the distractions
          in the room. Furthermore, I appreciate that audio podcasts allow me
          to do other things while I'm listening. Garden, exercise, wash
          dishes, rock my baby to sleep.

          I work in radio rather than television because I felt the intimacy of
          audio, and felt alienated by television. If video is inherently
          BETTER than audio, then why doesn't PBS make NPR obsolete? I know NPR
          is suffering financially, but it's doing way better than PBS.

          Audio is definitely a niche in a world dominated by video. But it's a
          time-tested niche with real strengths.

          That said, having photos or other web features to draw people into the
          audio-only content is critical in a world where web pages are the
          portals to audio work. Then once people tune in, the audio can do its
          work.

          My favorite model for audio content is PRX - the public radio
          exchange. It requires registration, but if they eliminated that and
          enhanced the ability to embed, they'd have something very much like
          you-tube.