Re: [podcasters] Re: Podcasting is "dead"?

  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
      On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:51 AM, lyndagroup <boulderboomer@...> wrote:
      > Yikes. I didn't mean to upset anyone with my innocent comment. I'm

      haha! I don't think anyone's upset.

      --
      Matthew Wayne Selznick
      Author, Podcaster, Social Media Authority

      Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
      http://www.bravemenrun.com
    • Justin Kaiser - Lists - Creative Identity
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
        If you have one, call me at the number below…

        Justin Kaiser
        Creative Identity Group

        Marketing • Communications • New Media
        Grand Central (815) 401-4632 • Skype - jrkaiser

        Corporate - http://www.CreativeIdentityGroup.com

        Blogging at http://www.JustinKaiser.com

      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
          Perhaps what you are seeing is backwash from all the "big media" competitors. I dare say, podcasting is far from dead!

          Kevin
          sisco83@...
          http://www.gcast.com/u/kjsisco

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
            I don't see podcasting as being dead,

            but I think that a lot of the so-called podcasters started doing
            videoblogs, but they f*cked up and started using youtube, Not a
            downloadalbe format like mp4/wmv etc

          • RatbagMedia
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
              --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

              > I think there is a general feeling that podcasting is dead because it
              > never became as popular as it should have.

              Well the main complication is that podcasting re-invents radio and
              suffers from the many handicaps that radio has had to deal with for so
              many decades.

              Podcasting's problem was in effect the low ebb in radio as a means to
              communicate stuff to listeners. I think it would be very difficult for
              people to come in cold to podcasting and start listening if they
              didn't first harbour a penchant to listening to stuff -- on radio
              especially.

              So thats' its burden -- ears only, when the media preferences are now
              very different. That doesn't mean that podcasting is old hat, only
              that the vogue is focused elsewhere.

              I've taken up videoblogging and I prefer it to (audio)podcasting for a
              number of reasons.

              (1)Video is treated much better on the web. The housing and
              presentation platforms(eg: automatic conversion to flash single
              episode and channel players) leave podcasting in the shade.I can also
              easily upload and share my files on many free sites -- such as BlipTV
              -- which offer me no end of service and options. Nothing is like
              that in podcasting. On Blip too I can also cross post to range of my
              preferred other sites and also get my videos archived.

              (2) While I also use YouTube (and can cross post to it via TubeMoghul)
              the amount of traffic you'll get to your item on YouTUbe can leave the
              podcasting sites way behind.

              (3) Video is a major dialogue media on the web when audio is not.
              Despite a few initiatives such as on ODEO for a time -- it's video
              rather than audio which people prefer to engage a discussion with.

              (4) Some of my podcasting was taken up by community radio but my video
              output is in greater demand than I imagined possible.(it just goes to
              show you how much poor quality video there is on the web).

              (5) Video is so much easier to edit and format than audio. It's the
              graphic cues you get. I can edit up video footage in a twice compared
              to some of the ongoing hassles with drawing together pieces of audio
              -- if shot/recorded while out and about..But all my paodcating
              experience enriches my audio edit for video.

              (6)However, I don't think video makes a very useful podcasting option
              -- ie: ran on a feed -- because of file size and customized
              preferences. Thats' where audio rocks -- and the fact that you can
              port it away from your computer so easily. The problem is that that is
              the web's best kept secret -- and while I may listen to hours of
              podcasts each week no one else I know does.They cannot see past video
              if they see at all.

              So I'm shifting my focus a lot. And while I try to offer a mix of
              media on site -- I am getting much more interest from video production
              than audio.I also prefer to work in video because it is more
              descriptive and you don;t have to lay down so much explanation.I can
              also do video to DVD and present my work in real time gatherings. in a
              way that audio doesn't suit.

              I have a portfolio in the way audio doens't allow.

              Essentially the cultural preference has shifted from auditory inputs
              to visual ones and it is hard to buck the trend with the density of audio.

              The other complication was that podcasting aped radio as it tried to
              reproduce a web version of the AM/FM band. Aping radio when radio
              could still be had only meant that radio too became podcastable -- as
              is what has happened.

              So where do these media newbie others fit in? Where;'s the niche that
              was sustainable? In fact podcasting fed that by trying to be very
              regular and very episodic -- the terror of the RSS feed -- instead of
              maybe slowing down and doing less often but quality products that
              could live on the wed as a ongoing archive.

              Podcasting's complication was one of poor quality...that dragged the
              medium down in popularity. There's heaps of crap video too on the web,
              but it is much easier to sift through that.

              That's what video teaches you -- the quest for quality and substance
              --when video on the web is so often neither, and audio podcasting on
              the web is still an unknown in that regard.

              So the format can be a tyranny. This desire to replicate the "program
              ' entity in time, place and subject.

              It's the radio trap.

              I think the way to proceed is to mix media and draw in the best
              options from video, audio and text. And always always look to your
              content. I think content rules and, as Marshal McLuhan argued, can
              always determine your medium -- and vice versa.

              dave riley
            • Matthew Wayne Selznick
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
                On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:05 PM, tom_a_sparks <tom_a_sparks@...> wrote:
                > but I think that a lot of the so-called podcasters started doing
                > videoblogs, but they f*cked up and started using youtube, Not a
                > downloadalbe format like mp4/wmv etc

                The point of any media is to get it into the eyes / ears of the
                audience. If YouTube is the best way to do that (user familiarity,
                access on an increasing number of Internet-enabled devices) then so be
                it. Why download something when you can stream it on your
                Internet-enabled portable device?

                Video podcasters aren't fucking up when they use YouTube. They're
                putting their content in the largest distribution stream available.

                Now, I think it's smart to be on YouTube *and* offer a downloadable
                option, as with my Teen Poetry podcast... but to say podcasters are
                "doing it wrong" by using YouTube is as misguided as any right-wrong
                "rules" when it comes to this medium.

                --
                Matthew Wayne Selznick
                Author, Podcaster, Social Media Authority
                ************************************
                "Reggie vs. Kaiju Storm Chimera Wolf"
                Signed and numbered limited edition chapbook
                http://www.mattselznick.com

                Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
                http://www.bravemenrun.com
              • the Encaffeinated ONE
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
                  On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:40 PM, RatbagMedia <ratbagradio@...> wrote:

                  > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I think there is a general feeling that podcasting is dead because it
                  > > never became as popular as it should have.
                  > >

                  > Well the main complication is that podcasting re-invents radio and
                  > suffers from the many handicaps that radio has had to deal with for so
                  > many decades.

                  Interesting... It's a shame that audio-podcasting didn't come a few years
                  earlier, then, before radio became (generally) such a wasteland..

                  > (1)Video is treated much better on the web. The housing and

                  This echoes a question I made months ago: what's the Youtube for
                  audio-podcasting? Can it be? The general opinion seemed to be that there
                  wouldn't be one, because audio is such a different medium, and the
                  portability of audio trumped the social nature of a share listening space.
                  Also, audio not being an inherently visual medium but the web definitely
                  being one seems at odds.

                  (2) While I also use YouTube (and can cross post to it via TubeMoghul)
                  > the amount of traffic you'll get to your item on YouTUbe can leave the
                  > podcasting sites way behind.

                  I think one of the reasons for this is actually the structure of Youtube:
                  you go to a central place to experience many different productions, carry a
                  profile for your entire experience across all productions, and can
                  share/communicate/rate all the things in one place.

                  There are directories for audio podcasting, but they have not taken on to
                  the same level.

                  There might also be a problem with audio presentation lacking any chapter
                  cues. I can skim through a video and have some idea where I'm skipping to by
                  the frame of video that comes up. In audio, I will likely have to wait
                  longer for a cue as to where it is. While there are chapters in the AAC
                  format (I think that's the one), the process for making them always seems to
                  be extraordinarily arcane and/or limited by platform or software
                  availability.

                  > (3) Video is a major dialogue media on the web when audio is not.
                  > Despite a few initiatives such as on ODEO for a time -- it's video
                  > rather than audio which people prefer to engage a discussion with.

                  This I find strange, because the engagement is mostly textual, and that's
                  just as easy for audio as it is for video. And audio is so much easier to
                  feed back with, as long as you put mechanisms in place like a voicemail line
                  or live call-in feature.

                  > (4) Some of my podcasting was taken up by community radio but my video
                  > output is in greater demand than I imagined possible.(it just goes to
                  > show you how much poor quality video there is on the web).

                  The sorry state of radio stations has lowered the expectations of people for
                  what radio can be like, I suppose. I wonder if the omnipresent position of
                  the CBC here in Canada is what gives me a very different perspective on the
                  matter.. I should imagine that NPR listeners and BBC radio listeners might
                  also be more willing to give audio podcasts a chance..

                  > (5) Video is so much easier to edit and format than audio. It's the
                  > graphic cues you get. I can edit up video footage in a twice compared

                  That's the first time I have heard *anyone* suggest that! Most insist that
                  video is dramatically harder than audio, because you have multiple streams
                  of information which must be patched together as seamlessly as possible.

                  Also, audio manipulation is far easier when one considers non-local
                  contributors; I do Skype chats with people in 4 time zones: we could never
                  do video.

                  Finally, audio allows more easy manipulation for tricks such as multiple
                  voices (or multiple characters with my own voice).

                  (6)However, I don't think video makes a very useful podcasting option
                  > -- ie: ran on a feed -- because of file size and customized
                  > preferences. Thats' where audio rocks -- and the fact that you can
                  > port it away from your computer so easily. The problem is that that is
                  > the web's best kept secret -- and while I may listen to hours of
                  > podcasts each week no one else I know does.They cannot see past video
                  > if they see at all.

                  I'm interested if people have suggestions about how we can reform the
                  "image" of audio, how we can build a good community site like Youtube and
                  also keep the portability.

                  Devices like the iPod Touch and the iPhone give me hope that we can have a
                  richer experience with audio and feedback. Imagine a podcast player
                  application which has a "comment on this" button beside every "play" button.
                  Press it, and voila! A feedback window (with both text window and audio
                  recorder controls) pops up. You put in your comment, and the application
                  delivers it to the feedback address given in the podcast episode itself.

                  If someone could please plug that into iTunes and Juice, we'd capture a lot
                  of the audience and start a revolution, I suspect... After all: that's
                  exactly what RSS did, from what I understand, create a simple technology
                  with an application, let it flow out..

                  Oh, and create a nice, standard Wordpress plugin and centralized YouHere
                  (HearHere? YouListen?) website where a podcast producer can put it all up in
                  one place. Include community functions (commenting, rating, "you may also
                  like X", recommendations, profiles, etc.).

                  If I had time, I would have already built this. There are attempts at this,
                  but they all seem very cumbersome, slow, misdirected energies for the most
                  part.

                  > So I'm shifting my focus a lot. And while I try to offer a mix of
                  > media on site -- I am getting much more interest from video production
                  > than audio.I also prefer to work in video because it is more
                  > descriptive and you don;t have to lay down so much explanation.I can
                  > also do video to DVD and present my work in real time gatherings. in a
                  > way that audio doesn't suit.
                  >
                  > I have a portfolio in the way audio doens't allow.
                  >
                  > Essentially the cultural preference has shifted from auditory inputs
                  > to visual ones and it is hard to buck the trend with the density of audio.

                  The trend had switched from honest presentations to vacuous but slick ones,
                  too, but that's changing..

                  Until we all move to be chipped and deliver info to our brain, we will
                  always hear, and we will always listen to one thing and do another. I don't
                  believe audio is dead and gone, just abused and rusty..

                  The other complication was that podcasting aped radio as it tried to
                  > reproduce a web version of the AM/FM band. Aping radio when radio
                  > could still be had only meant that radio too became podcastable -- as
                  > is what has happened.

                  I think this died away very quickly. Sure, there are still some things that
                  are distinctly radio-like, but most things quickly have diverged away from
                  that, and are diverging more and more. That's not say that they left them
                  behind: radio has many years of hard-won lessons to teach, and ignoring the
                  history and significance of that would probably be foolish..

                  (I would be quick to point out that I don't think that the vast array of
                  empty, robotized, copy-cat stations are worth emulating, but their
                  predecessors are.)

                  > So where do these media newbie others fit in? Where;'s the niche that
                  > was sustainable? In fact podcasting fed that by trying to be very
                  > regular and very episodic -- the terror of the RSS feed -- instead of
                  > maybe slowing down and doing less often but quality products that
                  > could live on the wed as a ongoing archive.

                  I think one of the problems I've had is there is plenty of good stuff out
                  there, and since I subscribe to it all (it feels like), I get behind on all
                  the conversations. And anyone who wasn't there from the beginning is left
                  out or has to run fast to catch up. It's a very good point that we might
                  want to reconsider the linear, building-up nature of the medium of
                  podcasting and consider more drop-in, drop-out or ambient conversation
                  styles, or consider something to be taken at a time wholly different from
                  when it was produced.

                  That said, some audio is bound to be continual, some to be an ongoing
                  barometer of current events or a measure of progress so far in some
                  discussion.

                  > Podcasting's complication was one of poor quality...that dragged the
                  > medium down in popularity. There's heaps of crap video too on the web,
                  > but it is much easier to sift through that.

                  What makes it easier to sift through? Why can those tools not be applied to
                  audio? I think the medium has grown in use to the point where there are
                  almost always good quality programs in many niches, so much so that the
                  lesser quality programs fade away. I don't think that it is easier to sift
                  through the loads of crap video, I think that there are better tools to
                  aggregate the sifting and make the better quality programs rise to the top.

                  That's what video teaches you -- the quest for quality and substance
                  > --when video on the web is so often neither, and audio podcasting on
                  > the web is still an unknown in that regard.

                  It is difficult to compare the medium of web video with the medium of
                  podcasting (audio or video). They are *not* the same, I'd suggest, with web
                  video largely consisting of a mountain of individual videos, largely
                  disconnected from each other, and podcasts consisting of a series of related
                  items. When you consume web video, you are looking for a one-off experience.
                  When you consume a podcast, you are subscribing into a continuing, ongoing,
                  periodic experience. It is a bigger committment to subscribe to a podcast,
                  and that committment must be described and vetted with adequate description,
                  features, commentary, social standing, etc..

                  So the format can be a tyranny. This desire to replicate the "program
                  > ' entity in time, place and subject.
                  >
                  > It's the radio trap.

                  "The medium is the message," calls the ghost of McLuhan. But the medium is
                  still malleable, and before Youtube the web video medium was pretty much
                  crap.

                  > I think the way to proceed is to mix media and draw in the best
                  > options from video, audio and text. And always always look to your
                  > content. I think content rules and, as Marshal McLuhan argued, can
                  > always determine your medium -- and vice versa.

                  Well, that interpretation is a little different from the ones I've heard;
                  from what I understand, he was really suggesting that an awareness of the
                  limitations and opportunities a medium can offer -- how it speaks to the
                  consumer -- is vital to really understanding what you can say, and how it
                  gets received. The content doesn't dictate the medium, but rather it is
                  shaped by it. The podcast episode doesn't shape the podcasting medium, but
                  is itself shaped by the periodic, linear, subscription, continuing, two-way,
                  conversational, direct, interactive nature of the system.

                  Podcasting is not radio; web video is not TV. They learn things from them,
                  but go beyond them. There are limitations, but these are not hindrances,
                  merely signals that we might change the medium if necessary, or embrace them
                  and push them as benefits..

                  This has been a very stimulating discussion! I hope that others will chime
                  in with other suggestions of what we, the producers of podcasts (and also,
                  in most cases, some of the consumers as well) can do to expand or understand
                  our medium..

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
                    --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Wayne Selznick
                    <mwselznick@...> wrote:

                    > On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 4:05 PM, tom_a_sparks <tom_a_sparks@...> wrote:
                    > > but I think that a lot of the so-called podcasters started doing
                    > > videoblogs, but they f*cked up and started using youtube, Not a
                    > > downloadalbe format like mp4/wmv etc
                    >
                    > The point of any media is to get it into the eyes / ears of the
                    > audience. If YouTube is the best way to do that (user familiarity,
                    > access on an increasing number of Internet-enabled devices) then so be
                    > it. Why download something when you can stream it on your
                    > Internet-enabled portable device?

                    I dont want to be charged a dollar a second/Kilobyte to access the
                    internet via my 3G internet-enabled device (I dont have one anyway)

                    > Video podcasters aren't fucking up when they use YouTube. They're
                    > putting their content in the largest distribution stream available.

                    i understand that view, but the limitions of youtube is what turn me
                    off youtube see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_YouTube,
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_of_YouTube and also the youtube
                    corporation is making money of your video submitions

                    > Now, I think it's smart to be on YouTube *and* offer a downloadable
                    > option, as with my Teen Poetry podcast... but to say podcasters are
                    > "doing it wrong" by using YouTube is as misguided as any right-wrong
                    > "rules" when it comes to this medium.

                    Wasn't the idea of podcasting to officer a downloadble file to be
                    placed on your non-internet-enabled media player?
                  • Matthew Wayne Selznick
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
                      On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 8:56 PM, tom_a_sparks <tom_a_sparks@...> wrote:
                      > i understand that view, but the limitions of youtube is what turn me
                      > off youtube see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_YouTube,
                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_of_YouTube and also the youtube
                      > corporation is making money of your video submitions

                      Google makes money off of your content in exchange for infinite
                      bandwidth, near-perfect uptime, and infinite storage. Plus, if I tell
                      someone, "My video's on YouTube," they know exactly what I mean.
                      Can't count on that if I say, "Have you seen my podcast?"

                      There are plenty of ways smart people make money off their videos.
                      Also, I believe YouTube offers ad service through AdSense to folks who
                      upload videos, so you could even earn money directly.

                      > Wasn't the idea of podcasting to officer a downloadble file to be
                      > placed on your non-internet-enabled media player?

                      No. The idea of podcasting was to deliver files (audio, video, or
                      anything else) via RSS. You still need the Internet to get the
                      content at some point.

                      Has anyone noticed that YouTube is starting to offer downloadable video..?

                      --
                      Matthew Wayne Selznick
                      Author, Podcaster, Social Media Authority
                      ************************************
                      "Reggie vs. Kaiju Storm Chimera Wolf"
                      Signed and numbered limited edition chapbook
                      http://www.mattselznick.com

                      Paperback, Ebook, iPhone, Kindle, MP3 CD, Free Podcast
                      http://www.bravemenrun.com
                    • joshuamcnichols
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2009

                        > (3) Video is a major dialogue media on the web when audio is not.
                        > Despite a few initiatives such as on ODEO for a time -- it's video
                        > rather than audio which people prefer to engage a discussion with.

                        This may be true. But I contend that a smaller number of people
                        prefer audio to video because it is a more intimate medium. I know
                        video can portray intimate things. But audio has a special way of
                        getting directly into your head. I believe it's because audio can be
                        akin to the human voice, whereas video has all these layers between
                        you and the content - a screen, a smaller scale, and the distractions
                        in the room. Furthermore, I appreciate that audio podcasts allow me
                        to do other things while I'm listening. Garden, exercise, wash
                        dishes, rock my baby to sleep.

                        I work in radio rather than television because I felt the intimacy of
                        audio, and felt alienated by television. If video is inherently
                        BETTER than audio, then why doesn't PBS make NPR obsolete? I know NPR
                        is suffering financially, but it's doing way better than PBS.

                        Audio is definitely a niche in a world dominated by video. But it's a
                        time-tested niche with real strengths.

                        That said, having photos or other web features to draw people into the
                        audio-only content is critical in a world where web pages are the
                        portals to audio work. Then once people tune in, the audio can do its
                        work.

                        My favorite model for audio content is PRX - the public radio
                        exchange. It requires registration, but if they eliminated that and
                        enhanced the ability to embed, they'd have something very much like
                        you-tube.