Re: Podcasting Your Novel: Publishing's Next Wave? Article from Time.com

  • writerpatrick
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
      --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Bachelder <kbachelder@...>
      wrote:

      > Podcasting Your Novel: Publishing's Next Wave?
      > http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1872381,00.html

      Great. Now everybody will be doing it. :)

      I agree that we are likely to see a lot of amateur productions and
      poorly written works, but the publishing industry is already
      saturated with pubications. It's not going to make that much of a
      difference to writers. The best works will stand out. And it takes a
      lot of time and effort to write a book. So I don't think it's going
      to become any worse than podcasting. If anything, it's going to be a
      smaller community.

      What may hold true is that if many published writers get into
      podiobooks it make make it harder for a novice to get noticed. But
      there's still the notion amongst many that they won't work for free.
      They want to be paid for their work. So I don't see a lot of
      bestseller writers getting into it. However, it will draw interest to
      many mid-list writers who are looking to make a name for themselves.

      There are a lot of good books that don't get published for the wrong
      reasons. They may not be 100,000 words long (currently the standard
      length) or they may not fit the type of book that the increasingly
      diminishing publishers are looking for. I started Podcast Ping (or at
      least started using it) as a way to get my poetry out since there is
      almost no market for poetry and what little exists is often looking
      for stuff that the average person couldn't stand.

      I gave up with my first attempt at podiobooks, partially since I was
      working on an unfinished work. But I have a couple finished ones in
      mind to do and should get to one of them this year.
    • Jacek Artymiak
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
        On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM, writerpatrick <writerpatrick@...> wrote:
        > --- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Bachelder <kbachelder@...>
        > wrote:
        >

        >> Podcasting Your Novel: Publishing's Next Wave?
        >> http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1872381,00.html
        >>
        > Great. Now everybody will be doing it. :)

        Of course! As a tech writer I'm a closet sci-fi writer and as soon as
        my opus magnum is finished I'll podcast the hell out of it. You can
        count on it :)

        --
        Jacek Artymiak
        http://devGuide.net