Re: [podcasters] Garageband problems

  • Rick Stringer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
      That is really strange. Have either of you changed anything since the
      previous podcast, such as a software upgrade? I import MP3 files into
      Garageband all of the time. Has she tried opening the MP3 in QuickTime
      Player to see if it reads the file OK?

      Rick
      __________________________________
      Parsec Award Winner 2006, 2007, & 2008
      Variant Frequencies Podcast
      http://www.variantfrequencies.com
      The Failed Cities Monologues
      http://www.podiobooks.com/title/the-failed-cities-monologues/

      On Jan 30, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Geek - wrote:

      > I know this isn't an Apple Support group, but as Macs are popular,
      > especially in audio work, I hoped some of you might have some insight.
      > My co host, who has been editing the shows the same way for months
      > now, is encountering some oddities with Garage band. I record in Adobe
      > Audition 1.5, save out as MP3, and then FTP the files for her to grab
      > so that she can put them together and put out the full show as an MP3.
      > This has worked for months now. This week's episode, though, has
      > encountered some problems. When she tries to open my file, Garage Band
      > only sees 7:14 of the file, the rest is silence. I tried chopping the
      > 1 hour 9 minute file into two, adding tot he beginning and so on. All
      > she sees is 7:14 of any file of mine. Does *anyone* here have any
      > ideas? This really puts a wrench in the production of the show, as my
      > work schedule doesn't allow much in the way of edit time these days.
      > Any ideas will be happily passed along to the co host. The specs of
      > the Mac are that it's running Leopard with iLife '08 and plenty of
      > disk space. Thanks folks!
      >
      > Dwight Wallbridge,
      > Blogger, Photographer, Geek

    • Geek -
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
        Rick, I have passed that test along, I hadn't thought to check that. I
        will try Chris' idea if indeed she can hear the whole file in the
        Quicktime player. Any other suggestions or ideas on this would be
        appreciated, cause it is baffling why all of a sudden it would stop.
        Oh, and no, nothing has changed on her side or mine since the previous
        episode.

        Dwight Wallbridge,
        Blogger, Photographer, Geek

        All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/
        The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/
        Dwight Wallbridge Photography http://www.dwightwallbridge.com/Photo/
      • Brains Matter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
          Dwight,

          That's very odd. The only thing I can think of (which is a known
          issue with GB) is if the audio file name has the first 16 characters
          the same as another audio file that you've imported into GB... eg.
          "episode675audioFilePreEdit-Frank.mp3" and "epsiode675audioFilePreEdit-
          Barbara.mp3" - this causes issues, but not the behaviour you are
          describing (it just reads the first file both times)

          FTR, I'm on iLife'08 and Leopard 10.5.6, and haven't encountered that
          issue before...?

          Has she tried importing a totally different mp3 file which is around
          the same length to see if it's an audio file problem or not? (I know
          that's basic, but useful to know) - it'll point to eitehr GB or the
          mp3 file itself.

          OG

          --
          Brains Matter Podcast
          Melbourne, Australia

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
            Thank you Shawn. I know she was at work, so that could be the reason
            for the delay.

            The file may be named the same as another, not sure. I had her try the
            same file with like 5 seconds added to the front, as well as chopped
            in half versions of the show, all came back the same, 7:14 and nothing
            beyond. She opened older shows, and older files with me side, and all
            opened fine.

            Dwight Wallbridge,
            Blogger, Photographer, Geek

            All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/