Re: [podcasters] Garageband problems

  • Chris Moody
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
      You might try exporting to WAV, instead of MP3.

      I assume if you play the file you hear all of it?

      Chris
      Geek - wrote:

      > I know this isn't an Apple Support group, but as Macs are popular,
      > especially in audio work, I hoped some of you might have some insight.
      > My co host, who has been editing the shows the same way for months
      > now, is encountering some oddities with Garage band. I record in Adobe
      > Audition 1.5, save out as MP3, and then FTP the files for her to grab
      > so that she can put them together and put out the full show as an MP3.
      > This has worked for months now. This week's episode, though, has
      > encountered some problems. When she tries to open my file, Garage Band
      > only sees 7:14 of the file, the rest is silence. I tried chopping the
      > 1 hour 9 minute file into two, adding tot he beginning and so on. All
      > she sees is 7:14 of any file of mine. Does *anyone* here have any
      > ideas? This really puts a wrench in the production of the show, as my
      > work schedule doesn't allow much in the way of edit time these days.
      > Any ideas will be happily passed along to the co host. The specs of
      > the Mac are that it's running Leopard with iLife '08 and plenty of
      > disk space. Thanks folks!
      >
      > Dwight Wallbridge,
      > Blogger, Photographer, Geek
      >
      > All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/
      > <http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/>
      > The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/
      > <http://www.thegeeksblog.com/>
      > Dwight Wallbridge Photography http://www.dwightwallbridge.com/Photo/
      > <http://www.dwightwallbridge.com/Photo/>

    • Rick Stringer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
        That is really strange. Have either of you changed anything since the
        previous podcast, such as a software upgrade? I import MP3 files into
        Garageband all of the time. Has she tried opening the MP3 in QuickTime
        Player to see if it reads the file OK?

        Rick
        __________________________________
        Parsec Award Winner 2006, 2007, & 2008
        Variant Frequencies Podcast
        http://www.variantfrequencies.com
        The Failed Cities Monologues
        http://www.podiobooks.com/title/the-failed-cities-monologues/

        On Jan 30, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Geek - wrote:

        > I know this isn't an Apple Support group, but as Macs are popular,
        > especially in audio work, I hoped some of you might have some insight.
        > My co host, who has been editing the shows the same way for months
        > now, is encountering some oddities with Garage band. I record in Adobe
        > Audition 1.5, save out as MP3, and then FTP the files for her to grab
        > so that she can put them together and put out the full show as an MP3.
        > This has worked for months now. This week's episode, though, has
        > encountered some problems. When she tries to open my file, Garage Band
        > only sees 7:14 of the file, the rest is silence. I tried chopping the
        > 1 hour 9 minute file into two, adding tot he beginning and so on. All
        > she sees is 7:14 of any file of mine. Does *anyone* here have any
        > ideas? This really puts a wrench in the production of the show, as my
        > work schedule doesn't allow much in the way of edit time these days.
        > Any ideas will be happily passed along to the co host. The specs of
        > the Mac are that it's running Leopard with iLife '08 and plenty of
        > disk space. Thanks folks!
        >
        > Dwight Wallbridge,
        > Blogger, Photographer, Geek

      • Geek -
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
          Rick, I have passed that test along, I hadn't thought to check that. I
          will try Chris' idea if indeed she can hear the whole file in the
          Quicktime player. Any other suggestions or ideas on this would be
          appreciated, cause it is baffling why all of a sudden it would stop.
          Oh, and no, nothing has changed on her side or mine since the previous
          episode.

          Dwight Wallbridge,
          Blogger, Photographer, Geek

          All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/
          The Geek's Blog http://www.thegeeksblog.com/
          Dwight Wallbridge Photography http://www.dwightwallbridge.com/Photo/
        • Brains Matter
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
            Dwight,

            That's very odd. The only thing I can think of (which is a known
            issue with GB) is if the audio file name has the first 16 characters
            the same as another audio file that you've imported into GB... eg.
            "episode675audioFilePreEdit-Frank.mp3" and "epsiode675audioFilePreEdit-
            Barbara.mp3" - this causes issues, but not the behaviour you are
            describing (it just reads the first file both times)

            FTR, I'm on iLife'08 and Leopard 10.5.6, and haven't encountered that
            issue before...?

            Has she tried importing a totally different mp3 file which is around
            the same length to see if it's an audio file problem or not? (I know
            that's basic, but useful to know) - it'll point to eitehr GB or the
            mp3 file itself.

            OG

            --
            Brains Matter Podcast
            Melbourne, Australia

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2009
              Thank you Shawn. I know she was at work, so that could be the reason
              for the delay.

              The file may be named the same as another, not sure. I had her try the
              same file with like 5 seconds added to the front, as well as chopped
              in half versions of the show, all came back the same, 7:14 and nothing
              beyond. She opened older shows, and older files with me side, and all
              opened fine.

              Dwight Wallbridge,
              Blogger, Photographer, Geek

              All Things Azeroth http://www.allthingsazeroth.com/