Feed posts repeating as "new" on iTunes and Google Reader

  • P.G. Holyfield
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2009
      Hey everyone,

      I am having an issue with how iTunes (and Google Reader) is reading my
      RSS, and wondering if anyone in the group has seen this before.

      My feed ( http://www.pgholyfield.com/maah/?feed=rss2 ) for Murder at
      Avedon Hill validates on Feed Validator, but ever since I upgraded to
      WP 2.7 (at least that's when I think it started), older posts have
      been showing up as "new" in iTunes and in Google Reader.

      And when I mean showing up, I mean like every three hours in some
      cases. For those that have the "Download All" option set with my
      podcast, this means they are downloading multiple copies of these files.

      I uploaded a new episode today and people started getting that episode
      fine, but they also got hit with a new copy of my previous episode (a
      video promo for MaAH, if you'd like to see it :-) ). I'm going to
      start losing listeners if I can't figure this out.

      Chris Miller has looked at the feed and confirmed that it should be
      working fine. Other readers do not have an issue with the feed.

      Has anyone else had something like this happen with their podcast?

      Thanks,

      --P.G. Holyfield
      Murder at Avedon Hill - http://pgholyfield.com
      "The Podiobook that NEVER ENDS." - Evo Terra
    • P.G. Holyfield
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
        Beginning to go a bit crazy about this. Some listeners have five
        copies of my most recent episode. I'm going to start losing listeners
        if this keeps up.

        If anyone has seen anything like this before, please let me know.
      • Rick Stringer
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2009
          I wish I could help. Unfortunately, the only place I've seen this has
          been your feed.

          Rick
          Sent from my iPod

          On Feb 1, 2009, at 8:51 PM, "P.G. Holyfield" <pgholyfield@...

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
            With the help of Mike Wills and Chris Miller, we've figured out the
            issue. The guid for certain items in my RSS are being changed from a
            URL to a number... a number that is updating every few hours for some
            reason. Some feed readers don't care about it, but others (like iTunes
            and Google Reader) use this field to see if a post is new.

            I've written an email to Dan to see if he's seen this before. I know
            this same issue affected Dave Slusher's RSS, so I'm not alone in this.
            I really don't want to go away from podpress, but right now I've got
            listeners that have 43 copies of my latest post in Google Reader and
            six copies of ep. 39 in iTunes. Argh.

            --P.G. Holyfield

            **************************************

            http://pgholyfield.com/maah - Murder at Avedon Hill
            http://community.podiobooks.com - Podiobooks Community website
            Twitter: PGHolyfield
            Skype: pgholyfield
          • Mike Wills
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
              Look at it this way, you have higher download stats now.

              --
              Mike Wills
              http://mikewills.info

              Sent from my iPod Touch